Eagle Project submission

I picked up some Life to Eagle packets for some new Life Scouts today, and in the packet was a slip saying

"Due to a recent procedure change we now need you to submit your Eagle Project on a DVD or thumb drive in addition to the hard copy".

Has anyone else seen this? Is this just our council? Can they do anything else to make the process harder for young men? What about the scouts who do not have computers? (Yes we have a few in our troop). It seems to me a well done, completed workbook written or typed should be more than sufficient.

Just wanted some other thoughts. Thanks

Dale

I think it's time for your COR to call the Council Advancement Chair and ask where that addition to the requirements is authorized by Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures #33088 or BSA Requirements #33215.

This sounds like a bureaucratic/autocratic LOCAL ADDITION to requirements(This message has been edited by John-in-kc)

A few comments.

1) 99.999% of public libraries will have computer access for folks. And most folks do have access to them.

2) Most schools have computer labs that he can work on during the free time.

3) Even if he cannot find a public computer, someone in his patrol or troop will have one he can use.

That said, this slip does not sound right.

E92,

I'm not saying it's inappropriate to use a computer to prepare a project.

I'm saying requiring submission on a CD or a memory stick is an addition to requirements. Even a 4GB on special at OfficeMax is $15. Further, I'm not sure how many public access points these days have CD burners active in their boxes.

To Eagle90 ... again, ask the tough question, and ask where it's documented in Scouting policy allowing them to do this.

ETA: I just went through the latest Eagle Leadership Service Project Workbook, #512-927, found on the NESA website as a fillable/savable PDF download. There was NO MENTION of CDs or memory sticks.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

My scouts would gladly send it over to council in digital format using email or even skype. Sending it on CD is a one step away from saying send it on a floppy. Also, the term "thumb drive" sounds old world too. I would expect a more generic term, sucah as USB flash drive.

My guess is that many of the Eagle applicants are more comfortable with technology than the reviewers at council. Paper still rules at our council.

While I am typing this responce on a computer...I prefer paperwork to be made of...you know...paper! :)

But you gotta wonder what's next? "Eagle candidate must have Eagle project App on I phone" in order submit application?

Of course, todays kids can text twice as fast as they can verbally speak a whole sentance. Might be easier for them to do it that way!

Seems unnecessarily arrogant. A very wise, trusted Scouting friend recently said to me that Scouting seems to attract a lot of folks who don't get listened to in their non-Scouting lives. Scouting gives them an opportunity to make rules and give orders.

While I agree that most older Scouts will have access to a computer, there could be a number of reasons which this requirement would be a hardship.

If their goal is to handle most proposals electronically, simply saying the committee strongly prefers proposals be submitted electronically would be sufficient. I would think they would get a high level of compliance and the few remaining hard copies could be handled without a great deal of trouble.

>>If their goal is to handle most proposals electronically, simply saying the committee strongly prefers proposals be submitted electronically would be sufficient. I would think they would get a high level of compliance and the few remaining hard copies could be handled without a great deal of trouble.

eagle90

It sounds like your council maybe saying something like "We've done such a stellar job of losing Eagle Project paperwork, that in addition to hard copies, we would like to see if we can lose a Scout's CD or flash drive too."

Quite frankly, I see nothing wrong with this request. It makes the process of record keeping much more efficent and manageable and its not any more imposition on a scout than making photo copies.

And its NOT adding any requirement, you all that say is is are reading into the into things