How dare I expect too much as an advancements chair! Ready to QUIT!

I think I may need to resign my service with the Troop I am affiliated with. I am so disgusted I can barely open TroopMaster anymore. This is about many things... many Scouts have been allowed to 'slide' before I became Advancements Chair. But I think I have just about reached my limit and I have had it!!

Some examples:

1) As I was reconstructing camping attendance over the last 2 years, plugging it into the TroopMaster software program - so the O/A Rep could determine who was eligible for an upcoming election, I discovered that one boy, who is already O/A, had only been on 3 campouts (one of those summer camp) within the last 2 years. I questioned the CC about how he ever got into the O/A without meeting the camping nights requirement. I was told that the CC and Scoutmaster decided it was ok to let it slide because the boy's father had some health problems and couldn't go camping with the Troop!! ???????? EXCUSE ME??????? The boy's 'FATHER' had some health problems, so the Scout couldn't go camping?? What is this? Cub Scouts? I should mention this boy is barely 13 and has all his MB's done for Eagle, and is a Life scout. It's HORSE TINKLE, I am sorry - the boy has not EARNED ANYTHING as far as I am concerned, and I am dang angry about it!! Not at him - the boy has only been allowed to get what he has because the adults have totally let him down by dumbing the requirements for him!!!

2) Apparently boys have been advancing in rank, and being signed off for being in their POR, even though they do absolutely nothing. I said I will refuse to allow a boy to slide by like that, and as long as I am Advancements Chair, I refuse to file an advancement report with Council. And further, any Scoutmaster or ASM that signs off on SMC's and pass boys onto their next ranks are doing these boys no favor at all. I told them I will not sign off on a BOR for these kinds of rank advancements!! Boy Scouts means too much TO ME! I was told I can't make those kind of decisions!!! BS - I can refuse to sit on a BOR all I want! And tell me where it says I have to sign a BOR form as "awarded" just because the boy went through his SMC?????

3) Back in December I volunteered to take boys from our unit to a merit badge weekend hosted by council. I had 4 boys - one of them was supposed to go to the railroading MB but went there, got bored and decided he was going to go take off with the Skating MB class going on a field trip because they were having more fun. The Scout was supposed to meet up with myself and the 3 other Scouts at lunch. He was nowhere to be found. I could not locate that Scout for almost 3 hours. All staff members at the MB camp were on alert, looking for this boy. he was finally found off-site at a skating rink with the Skating MB. The MBC for skating claimed the boy told him he had permission to go with them. The MBC apparently also signed a blue card saying he completed the Skating MB. I talked to the boy's mother, and one of our ASM's who was the boy's former Den Leader. I also talked to the boy's Dad who was very apologetic. We all agreed he should not earn that Skating MB because basically he told all kinds of lies to get in that class and had no permission to be taking that MB. I took this info to the CC, and the issue was brought up at a committee meeting, more for informational purposes than anything else. The SM was made aware, etc. Everyone pretty much agreed except the Treasurer. The Treasurer seems to feel that if the MBC signed a blue card, the boy earned it regardless of all the lying and disappearing act. I don't get how the Scouter can feel that way, but whatever. He's entitled to his opinion I suppose.

Well.... last night, the mother decided it had been long enough that she held that Skating MB over the Scout's head and NOW she thinks he should have it for his MB sash!!!!! So she went to the Scoutmaster, with the Treasurer standing behind her and convinced the SM to sign that blue card because she believes it's been long enough and he's earned it now!!! WHAT THE SAM HILL IS GOING ON HERE?!?!!?!!?

And my husband (the Troop Treasurer) thinks I am making mountains out of mole hills. Excuse me??? We have an Eagle Scout son who busted his little tush working around an endangered owl to do his Eagle Project, one that he had to ensure remained fed and not disturb his habitat. And because of that owl, it held up his Eagle project for months and he had to work AROUND the friggin owl while removing debris and 50-gal drums and such from the ravine the owl was living in!!!! The boy worked his rear off all through Scouts - he didn't get any 'sliders'!! And our Star Scout son doesn't get any lee-way from us about anything. He has to do it the way it says or he doesn't get the doughnut, know what I mean? But I am making mountains out of mole hills!?!?!?

Ok guys... so this is for all you hardcore Scouters out there.. please tell me I am not losing my mind here, and that my standards are not way over the top and unattainable here. Please tell me I haven't reached a level of psychosis or something where I have forgotten the Scout Oath and Law, and what the ideals of Scouting are. LBP must be rolling in his grave watching the way this Troop forgets about requirements and hands things out to boys!!!

If I can't effect change in it, I promise I am leaving this Troop. I will not put up with the constant undermining of the program!(This message has been edited by Joni4TA)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with ya Join4TA! When I was the Advancement Chair, I felt the same way. I didn't have nearly as many problems as you are having. There were a few parents who tried to talk the kids into advancement but I held my ground as should you.

You are talking about a culture change in your unit. You really have little or no control over who earns what MB. That's between the Scout & the counselor. You do have some control over rank advancement, though, and maybe that's where you should place your energy.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Im a new Scoutmaster (4 months now) who took over a troop in decline, with a lot of problems including some you have described. I have come to accept that what was done before I took over is already done, water under the bridge so to speak and there is not much I can do about it. However, I have made it very clear that I am a by the book kind of guy and that is how our troop is run today.

The OA thing, there isnt much you can do about it. Maybe just let the SM know who has made the camping trips for future elections.

Little or no POR work can be a problem in troops. The troop leadership needs to make these jobs an important part of the troops program. Not sitting on the BOR only takes you out of the solution and doesnt help the troop. Maybe you could work with the Librarian, Scribe and Historian to make the jobs more meaningful.

Skating MB, if the SM didnt sign the card before the work on the MB started then it shouldnt count. It seems like this scout needs a SM conference and refresher on the ideas of scouting.

Your son busted butt and made Eagle, another scout takes the path of least resistance and makes Eagle. They both get the medal but who gets more out of the program?

Ive been involved in Scouting for 20 years and Ive seen a lot that I dont agree with. Just the other day we were at our districts winter camp. The announcement was made by the OA Chapter that any Ordeal members that would like a new free sash can convert to Brotherhood, just show up after lunch. So one of my scouts goes and in less than an hour come back with a Brotherhood sash! All this so the chapter can make quality lodge! 30 some years ago I had to do an entire weekend to earn Brotherhood. I will probably mention this at the next Roundtable.

My advice (which I assume youre asking for by your post) is to take a deep breath, relax, look at what you can address, and work with the troop leadership to make the changes needed, one step at a time, in a Scout like manor.

You might consider quitting; I did when I saw how my sons troop was being run. I decided that we would leave when he stopped having fun and getting something worthwhile from the program. We stayed and I kept offering suggestions for change. Most were ignored but the word got out that someone was working towards positive change. Eventually the SM left and they asked me to take the job. Changes were made and things are better but there is a lot more to do.

The Advancement Chair is not required by BSA to sit on a BOR, or to sign the Advancement form.

A boys performance in a POR should be monitored and mentored by the SM (or someone designated by the SM). Boys need to be TRAINED, they don't pick things up thru osmosis. If a SM signs off on a POR simply because a boys name was on a list for a specific amount of time, then the problem is with the SM and it should be addressed by the CC.

While the boy at the MB camp did lie and was in the wrong, if he completed all of the requirements for the skating MB, and the MB Counselor signed off that it was completed, he should get what he earned.

His consequences for his bad behavior, and not "living the Scout Oath and Law", should not be to have earned awards withheld. His consequences should be reflected in a SM Conference and should be addressed as part of Scout Spirit. Maybe a service project of some kind that would open his eyes to the dangers of what he did? His behavior should also have been addressed by his family. I know if it was my kid he would have taken up permanent residence in his media and game free room!

Joni, I completely understand your frustration and you have my sympathy.

However, many of the things you voice concern over are really the domain of the SM and not of the Advancement Chair. Consequently I think you may want to reconsider your approach and instead of making it one directed toward the boys (I won't sign off on BORs, won't file adv. paperwork, won't allow MBs, etc.), make it your goal to help the SM get some training or a refresher - NOT FROM YOU, but rather from a really good district or council trainer (It'll reinforce what you're saying without you having to play the "heavy" all the time).

There is also that thing about choosing your battles. You can't do much about past lapses so getting angry about them is only going to raise your blood pressure.

Does your unit have a good UC? If so, you may be able to enlist his/her help in getting your SM back to true north as well. But be careful that you are not trying to do all this alone; build consensus where ever you can.

Good luck, hang in there!

I love the argument of "We've never done it that way before" or something similar. If you follow that logic, nothing ever changes.

A troop never expected POR's to actually be done. Then, someone says lets have the POR done according to the book. WOW! What a concept! Just because others did not do the right thing does not preclude you from doing the right thing. There may be organizational inertia to overcome, and it may not be easy, but thats why you get the big bucks

I'm also the Advancement Chair/Eagle Advisor of the unit I serve. For better or worse the SM generally defers to my decisions relative to advancement, but I recognize that he guides the advancement program not me.

I empathize with your frustration Joni. But

1) Let the past go. Anything awarded in the past is done and there's basically nothing you can do about it.

2) I agree with Lisa. See if you can work with the SM to tighten the standards applied going forward. I bet if you asked him if he really believed all the scouts had met the standards the BSA expected to advance he would admit they hadn't. He probably doesn't want to be the bad guy, but if he knew he had support and a willing allie he might develop more of a backbone. Be positive in your approach about approving the program. Don't start off by talking about how things have been all messed up.

Best of luck. Feel free to vent. Don't expect big changes overnight. Be satisfied with incremental improvement and keep moving forward.

SA

Yah, did I catch that right? Your hubby has been votin' against you as troop treasurer? Sounds like it's time to send him to bed without supper!

Joni, da culture you describe in your troop happens more frequently than we'd like to admit, eh? There are a lot of enabling parents and enabling scout leaders out there. Sadly, I reckon that rather than teach boys character, they teach boys how to manipulate people to get their way.

IMO, the only way to use the Advancement Method well is to pose real challenges to boys and to hold to 'em. In workin' with units, especially ones with a big advancement focus, that's probably the best advice to give. If yeh want to get a lot out of the program increase your expectations for advancement. Make 'em a real challenge that any adult would look at and say "wow, that's really impressive for a kid to be able to do!" If an adult walkin' in off the street doesn't have that reaction, yeh probably aren't doing things right.

And if an adult's reaction is "gee, that's really lame and sleezy" yeh definitely aren't. :(

That having been said, as Advancement Chair you can be a voice for change, even a crusader, but yeh have to work with these people too. You bein' the roadblock won't get your troop to where it needs to be. Yeh have to get the other folks to "see the light". All the adults in da program have to share a common vision for what they want for kids - that means either they all compromise a bit or da CO directs things one way or another. Either way, it means that they talk about vision. A lot.

So I'd join Ed in sympathizin' with you and cheerin' you on - I think your vision is the better one here. Then I'd join Lisa'bob and the rest in sayin' you may need to adjust your tactics a bit. You want to get folks to buy into your way of thinkin', because you won't get far by storming at them. Changin' the culture of a program is hard work.

Find some allies - go ask your district for a UC who is "tough" on advancement to come help. Go talk to da SM of a local "strong" troop which uses advancement well and ask him and some of his boys to come by and visit your SM at da next camporee. You're trying to make converts, not enemies. ;)

Beavah

Thanks All.

My last post was created after me getting into an argument with my husband about this stuff that's going on in our Troop, AND yes Beavah, you caught it right - my husband went behind the backs of myself and the committee's decision (which we just talked about it at our meeting 3 days ago), that this boy should not have earned that MB. He disagreed, but of course he wasn't the adult leader standing there at the merit badge camp freaking out because there was a missing boy.

Come to find out, the SM was told by the boy's mother that the decision on whether or not the boy earned the MB was up to "HER" and she felt he deserved it now, and she insisted our SM sign off on the blue card. My husband agreed that the boy should have the Blue Card signed because the MBC had already signed it.

After my dear PITA husband, the Treasurer, went to bat for this boy and his (un)earned MB behind my back, the mother took my husband aside and asked for a refund of her recharter fees because she was pulling her son out of our Troop. At first she said her son was failing in school and not doing his homework. But she also said she feels our Troop is too disorganized, that her son needs more like a military structure and a more strict schedule. She said he may someday return to Scouting, but for now she needs to remove him from the Troop. (yeah, I think the kid is wild - all this woman's kids are wild and not well behaved. It has a lot to do with the parenting and what the kids are allowed to get away with, but that's another story altogether.)

Now my husband and the SM can see they were clearly manipulated by this woman who had an agenda - to get her son's blue card signed before she pulled out of our Troop altogether.

Something my husband didn't understand then (but does now, has apologized, and agrees with me) - there is no way the boy completed the requirements for that MB. The MBC in Class "B" that 'supposedly' signed that blue card made a mistake, if he signed the card at all. The MB class was 8 hours. The boy spent the first 4 hours/half the day in MB class "A", not MB class "B". So unless the boy made up all 8 hours worth of work in a 4-hr period, there's no way he could have gotten that blue card signed by the MBC without error.

I never saw the blue card in question. I was told by the boy that he showed up to MB class "B" without a blue card and the MBC had an extra one. My husband told me that he saw the blue card, and that it was filled out with MB class "A" info and crossed out and MB class "B" info was written above it. Another lie from the boy!

One of the ASM's was told by the boy that he's going to another Troop, NOT 'taking a break from Scouting' as his mother claimed. So once again, another lie and manipulation. Personally I can see why that boy has behavioral issues - his father is an OTR truck driver and his mother is inconsistent with behavioral consequences. She expected the Boy Scouts to be an extension of the Webelos den with adult implemented structure. And she wanted Boy Scouts to be BSA = Baby Sitters of America. She wanted the Boy Scouts to be the boy's father AND mother so she never had to be the bad guy when it came time to deal with the boy's out of control behavior. That's not what Scouts is about!

I care - but what's done is done. It's disappointing, and I don't care who signed that blue card or whether it was forged, I know in my heart the boy could not possibly have earned EITHER merit badge that day based on the amount of time he spent with each class. Lucky for him it's not an Eagle Required MB or I would not let this alone. As Advancements Chair, I have never seen the blue card, do not have the unit portion, and therefor will not be recording it as a completed MB. And now that he is no longer a member of our Troop, it's not my concern. The mother can take that blue card to the next unsuspecting Advancements Chair in their next Troop and let them go report it to Council as completed. It won't be on my conscience!

Water under the bridge - what's done is done. I DO have to let this go.

I agree my issues are more appropriately with the SM and CC (and apparently occasionally my own husband, the Treasurer). For one thing it's always me, the CC and my husband in every single committee meeting. We are the only 3 who really ever show up. I realize that the CC and SM in the past have been too willing to modify whatever requirements they have seen fit, and basically hold the Troop as a whole, and the boys, to lower standards than what is actually required.

Can I change that overnight? Of course not. But I promise it WILL change, IF I bother to stay with the Troop.

I have been saying since last September that I wanted to hold the boys to a higher standard, especially when the subject of POR comes up. In September, the CC and SM agreed. So did the Treasurer. Back then the SM assigned 4 JASMs to different mentoring positions of responsibility within the Troop. But since then, the JASM's aren't acting like JASM's at all, 2 boys have been signed off for MB's they couldn't possibly have completed, and 3 other boys have passed through their SMC and BOR's without having to be held accountable for their POR at all. Even one boy was signed off for an Eagle Palm by the SM when I don't believe he should have gotten anything. So my voice in September was forgotten apparently.

In October after Troop elections I gave the SM a syllabus for Scoutmaster's JLT, and the DVD. He said he wanted to schedule that along with the Annual Planning PLC. To date, there has been NO PLC and NO JLT!!! 2 weeks ago at a Troop meeting, the SM took the older boys in the Troop into a separate room and had them come up with where they wanted to go camping from February through July, and what session they wanted at summer camp. It was too late into January to have a January campout because there had been no annual planning PLC. At this point I am not even sure a JLT will be worth it. Elections are about to go again in April. I feel terrible for our very young in rank SPL (First class) who I PROMISED would get some help/training. The JASM that the SM assigned to the SPL has done nothing even though he's an Eagle Scout, and the SPL never got the JLT he was promised. And I feel like crap for that. At this stage in the game even if a JLT is done, I feel it'll be too little too late.

Apparently this Troop has seen its fair share of changes. It used to be a barely functioning Troop with a not too committed Scoutmaster. Another SM took over with minimal experience and did the best they could and was 10 times better than the 1st guy. Then came our current SM, who is 20 times better than the 2cnd guy. You see where I am going with this? Our Troop standard HAS BEEN low. To most of the longer standing members of the Troop, they see all these vast improvements and how much better things are now versus how they were. They think the Troop has changed for the better in leaps and bounds! They are proud of the way things are now. Of course they know no other Troop because they've only been involved in this one.

I, on the other hand, have been involved with at least 10 different units in a total of 7 different councils. I have seen the good and the bad, and I know that even though this Troop feels they are better than ever, they still haven't reached the bar.

And you guys are right, I can't do 'everything' that's for darn sure! This just sucks. And it's definitely raising my blood pressure. I am not so good with baby step changes, though I know I have to try to accept that good change is good change, no matter how great or small. I handed our Scribe an attendance sheet. I gave our Quartermaster a blank inventory form for Troop gear and asked him to let the committee know what we have, what we need, etc. I have given everyone a list of the POR's with each Scout's name next to their POR so everyone knows who's supposed to be doing what! I explained to the boys, leaders and parents that from now on when the boys First Class and above come up for SMC's and BOR's they should be prepared to discuss what they've done in their POR, how a POR is not an optional requirement and needs to be treated as seriously as any other. I admitted I couldn't give anyone a pass on their BOR for not completing requirements because it "isn't in me." I have asked the PL's to get with the SPL if they have any questions, and to let the SPL do what he's designed to do- RUN THE TROOP. I asked the Eagle Scout JASM assigned to mentor the SPL to please make himself available to the SPL in case questions arise. I reminded all the boys that is was THEIR TROOP and they needed to stand up and take responsibility for it and RUN IT!

I just hope it is enough to get the ball rolling...

Joni4TA, as a SM who has less than a career year in Scouting. I can really only tell you one thing... and you probably already know it.

When you look at the issues (leadership opportunities) in your Troop it's overwhelming. Like an Elephant on your dinner plate.

If you want to make it better, you have to work on one thing at a time.(Eat the Elephant one bite at a time) Take the Training the boys issue. I inherited the SM position in the middle of an election cycle - I skipped training for that cycle of boys (wrong maybe but I had too many fish to fry and worked on another batch)

Look at each portion of the program.

Break it down into smaller, fixable problems.

Then fix them one at a time, e.g. volunteer to hold the JLT yourself - that will give the boys a picture of what they need to be doing - and enlist them into helping you fix the other issues.

I have views about how things should be - they aren't necessarily the way Scouting would have them be. But I'm learning and in my case trying to expect a little bit less of them(the Scouts) in order to not have added requirements to the Scouting syllabus. On the other hand, I'm also trying to raise the bars in areas where we are either deficient or extremely minimal - like uniforming for example. But I really don't get it when adults cheat the system or intentionally lower the bar below the minimums spelled out in the program.

Get the parents to training too, I know that sounds impossible when the Direct Contact leaders across BSA are only "Trained" at a 38% rate but many parents truly DON'T understand what we are trying to do. And the online training can really help in this portion of the problems you see.

So, grab a fork, and eat that elephant one bite at a time.

LisaBob has great advice.

Here's mine: Get yourself the Troop Committee Guidebook and look for training opportunities for yourself. The Troop Advancement Chair's primary responsibilities are to maintain the advancement records, fill in the proper paperwork to turn into Council to purchase the awards, arrange for BOR's, encourage Scouts to advance, work with the Librarian to ensure that the library has up to date materials. In other words, the role of Advancement Chair is an administrative role - just like every other committee job. It isn't to enforce program policy. That is the role of the Scoutmaster and his assistants.

As Advancement Chair, if you are going to refuse to fill out the paperwork because you feel that the boys haven't earned the ranks or merit badges or served in the POR properly, then you may as well resign because you aren't doing your job. It may be frustrating, but that is the job. If the Scoutmaster says the Scout has passed his SMC and is ready for a BOR, the Scout gets a BOR whether you agree with the Scoutmaster or not. If the BOR says the Scout has passed the BOR, then the Scout gets the rank, whether you agree or not. If you really want to change the culture of advancement in the unit, then being Advancement Chair isn't the role for that. Ask to become an ASM then work with the Scoutmaster to make change happen.

As far as the Skating Merit Badge - let it go - if a Merit Badge Counselor signed off on the badge, the lad gets the Merit Badge. There is a section on the blue card for the Scoutmaster to sign acknowledging that he knows the lad is working on the badge (it is not, by the way, a permission from the Scoutmaster to work on the badge - just an acknowledgment). In this day of "Merit Badge Colleges", there are many instances of blue cards being signed off on by Merit Badge Counselors without a SM's acknowledgment - most SM's never make an issue of it. The second SM signature is just an acknowledgment that he received the completed Blue Card - nothing more - it is not a final step before the badge is already earned. When the MBC signed the Blue Card, the badge was earned. Scoutmasters, (and Advancement Chairs) don't get to deny awarding the merit badge. The mother was right when she said she got to decide when he gets the badge - in this case, she was holding back a completed blue card as a form of punishment for her son's actions - not the way most of us would like to have things done, but as the parent, she was well within her rights. BTW - not only was Mom right, but so was the Troop Treasurer (your husband). Even more important, the Committee may have discussed this at a meeting and agreed that the Scout shouldn't get the merit badge but guess what - the Committee has no power to deny that boy the Merit Badge - none whatsoever.

Calico

Eagle732,

An aside on the OA Brotherhood issue.

The requirements to become a Brotherhood Member are minimal:

1) Be an Ordeal Member for at least 10 months

2) Maintain your registered status in the BSA

3) Maintain your registered status in the Order of the Arrow

4) Memorize the Obligation, the OA Song, the Admonition, the Sign of Ordeal Membership, and the Arrow Handclasp.

5) Gained a thorough understanding of the Ordeal which one has passed.

In addition, a letter to the Lodge Secretary telling what one thinks the Obligation means, describing how one has used the Obligation in their unit, and listing what how one plans to provide future service to the Lodge is recommended (but not required - in many lodges, this is done orally when testing for the 5 requirements).

Contrary to popular belief, there is no additional service required, ala the Ordeal - however most Lodges conduct Brotherhood "testing" during their work weekends, and everyone is expected to work at the work weekends (except for perhaps folks who became Vigil Honor Members that weekend - there is a Vigil involved, and without going into detail, the next day is a day of rest (except for me who did the Brotherhood "testing" the day I received my Vigil Honor).

What you describe sounds perfectly acceptable as far as the Brotherhood goes. What does disturb me about what you've described is that the new Brotherhood Members weren't apparently given the opportunity to go through the Brotherhood Ceremony - which to me is a very important step. If there is anything you should bring up at your Roundtable is that the OA Members who got their Brotherhood were denied a proper ceremony - I'd corner the Chapter Adviser and ask if he will push the Lodge to make sure the newly minted Brotherhoods go through the ceremony. Now, if you know that the lad who did get his shiny new sash wasn't a member of the OA for 10 months, that would give you something else to bring up.

(Note to moderators - everything I have posted in this about the requirements for Brotherhood is in the official OA publication Guide for Officers and Advisers which is publically available for download from the web, no special passwords needed. Grandma Milly from Schenectady can download it from the web if she wanted. It is not secret, private information - please refrain from letting an ignorant member bully you into removing this post because it "should be secret").

Calico

Calico

You mean I spent an entire weekend giving service to my local scout camp for no reason!

Than was almost 35 years ago and I still remember that weekend. It just seems to me we diminish the meaning when we make it easier to achieve.

Greetings Joni -

I certainly do empathize. I do not feel that your expectations are out of line. Unfortunately your expectations seem to far exceed the individual with whose responsibility most of your issues lie ... the Scoutmaster.

As someone who has been around Scouting my entire life ... I can tell you that which you already know ... the ones suffering most in your Troop are the boys. Unfortunately, I do have to concurr with Calico. As the Advancement Chair, as with all board positions, your roll is mainly adminstrative. The responsibility for supervising and ensuring the completion of advancement requirements falls to the SM and ASMs. The Troop Committee is, as BSA has set it up, there to support the uniformed leaders. What you need to do in this situation is address your concerns with the SM. It is his expections that need to rise. Your threatening to not process advancement or withhold awards is inappropriate. As was pointed out by Calico - if the SM says the boy has had a SMC and is ready for a BoR then he gets a BoR ... its not up to you. If the BoR says the boy is ready to advance then he advances ... its not up to you. If a MBC signs a bluecard and says a Scout has completed a MB then the boy gets the badge (unless you can prove to the MBC that the badge was not truly earned and the MBC takes the bluecard back) ... again ... its not up to you.

Clearly there needs to be a culture change in your Troop. I urge you to continue your fight. It is not fair to the boys (past and present) for your Uniformed Leaders to continue to allow things "to slide." Focus your attention on the SM. Get Council involved and don't be the heavy all the time. I can assure you that at a certain point the SM will look at you like a lunatic and will simply dismiss everything you say out of hand.

Just my opinion .... good luck!

SMNJ