Issues & Politics

In answer to many requests, we established a separate forum for these topics. Those not interested can skip this forum instead of spending time reading unwanted messages to identify content.

2946 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  1. Nature's Lesson

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  2. Scout Honor Coalition

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  3. Veterans Day 2005

• 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• I lived it - actually more than what the current proposal is, because gender wasn't a consideration for patrol formation - and my experience was positive. Not just "not bad". The presence of both genders in the patrol was both a moderator of antisocial behavior in both genders as well as a key condition of real-world leadership training. I was bullied in middle school, and scouting was my refuge, too. I can relate to that. And maybe you personally did need a single-gender environment right then. I'm not you, I don't know. But your experience isn't the only possible one. I needed a mixed-gender patrol. I would not have wanted to be in a patrol with just other girls. The option to have that should be there. I see that it still isn't, but at least normal troops is a step in the right direction. It's the standard option, globally. Scouting isn't really about gender identity exploration. We're about outdoor adventure. That's our thing.  At least in my patrol, we were truly brothers and sisters in scouting. The vibe was different from school in terms of sexual tension. I can't know for a fact, of course, but I'd like to think that a regular patrol would still have been a refuge for you. If not, the single-gender option remains.
    • I have found "duty to God" more of a stumbling block for potential members and their families than the name "Boy". “It (the rebranding) sends this really strong message to everyone in America that they can come to this program, they can bring their authentic self, they can be who they are and they will be welcomed here,” Krone said. Will atheists also be welcomed? Will the DRP be removed from the youth membership application (524-406)? Will the BSA Scout Oath (duty to God) and Law (A Scout is Reverent) be changed? What was learned from girls BSA membership pilot program from 5 years ago that will be applied to this pilot program? A lot of questions. Another $0.01,
    • And then you join and realize 90% of BSA activities are meetings and merit badge clinics where you have to write reports while adult leaders argue if googling information for your report was sufficient or if you should have used an Encyclopedia written in 1982.
    • Interestingly, a fair number of large companies seem to be pivoting away from the loaded DEI term: Under attack, DEI quietly transforms - The Washington Post Anecdotally, I'll mention that I may have hit a breaking point on the HR-speak at work. We were recently instructed to avoid the term "good fit" when describing a potential new hire. You see, "good fit" might imply that we have preconceived notions about what we value in a candidate, including a preferred race, religion, gender, or personality. Instead, we were asked to describe a strong candidate as a "cultural add." Can you imagine losing your job and having to explain in your first interview that you were let go because you used the dreaded "GF" word?
    • I've been pretty supportive of the recent membership changes, but I gotta say - I have some serious reservations about coed troops. Middle school may have been the 3 worst years of my childhood, but Scouting was my refuge at that time. It was nice to go on outings with the boys in my troop without having to worry about impressing anyone. By high school, I was more self-assured and wouldn't have minded participating in a coed troop, but I do worry that we're denying our boys (and girls) a growth opportunity by integrating them at this stage in their development. The march toward school 2.0 continues.
  • Who's Online (See full list)