Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9596 topics in this forum

1. Tamegonit

• 2 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 1.6k views
    • 6 replies
    • 6 replies
    • 12 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 49 replies
    • 5.3k views
    • 6 replies
  2. Problems with Dad 1 2

• 18 replies
    • 1.8k views
  3. Log on user name? 1 2 3

• 42 replies
    • 4.2k views
  4. Pulling their leg 1 2 3 4

• 55 replies
    • 4.6k views
  5. Mixing youth and adults

• 5 replies
    • 1k views
    • 10 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 16 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 56 replies
    • 6.3k views
    • 2 replies
  • LATEST POSTS

• I think you're right on the money here. Part of the reason things have turned out fine generation after generation is that the youth were guided skillfully enough by elders who didn't give up. The youthful perspective is important, but so is that of the elders. Both are needed. So it's important to rouse wakeful energy and confidence when they start wanting. We can make a difference, there is a point, even if youth don't show it as you do the helping! Also, youthful mistakes as well as parenting mistakes tend to correct themselves with more reality feedback. Can't imagine people who being parents to job interviews get many offers, and most likely get told point blank it's completely inappropriate eventually. Rough and unfair in a sense, but... From a larger history POV, probably corrects itself.
    • Thanks, you are of course right in the general way.  We have it much better today than in the past.  That in itself may be a contributor to the seeming lack of too many to fend for themselves.  There is no doubt that many young people are babied so badly that they do not have a clue of reality in the wider world.  At the same time, some of us on here can extoll the benefits many of our mentees have garnered from being asked to think and act on their own.  I keep getting reminded that while I too often get annoyed at the absolutely ludicrous ideas with which the proverbial helicopter adults confront us pop up, there are many examples of youth that inspire and give hope.  And we have the privilege to interact with more of them than some adults.  Just need to not get distracted by the brash foolishness.
    • Even with a red passport in addition to a blue one, I represent US scouting with the BSA when I'm in the BSA uniform. The Swedish flag goes on the Swedish scout shirt, the US flag on the US scout shirt. Puerto Rican flags make sense for Puerto Rican scouts. So unless they're in Scouts Ukraine in a Ukrainian scout shirt...
    • Well, considering that the youth of today have been terrible since the days of Aristotle, I'll say it could have gotten much worse 😂 Are you familiar with the book Factfulness by Hans Rosling? He's got a few TED talks that are lowkey inspiring in terms of building a better world. We in high-income countries don't feel it day to day, but the world is actually a much better place now than in the past. Even here, things are better in a lot of ways. It's good to remind oneself sometimes.
    • 100% agree.  It is inappropriate to remove the US Flag to add the flag of another county.  How does he reconcile that with the citizenship aspect of scouting? 
  • Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online