At cub scout camp this year they had the First Aid station right next to the fire making station. I happened to know that they had an open packet of burn gel sitting on the table because someone earlier had needed it. They showed it to the kids as they were talking about burn first aid.
After my daughter finished up her first aid session, we went over to try our hand at making a fire on a sand table. We were only allowed one match, and mine broke, and since it's been a long time since I've used a regular match I have forgotten how easy it is to burn one's self on it and without thinking I tried to strike the broken match (honestly thinking I wouldn't get it to strike anyway) when it flared up and burned my finger which was too close to the match head.
I asked my daughter to go over and ask one of the Boy Scouts at the first aid table for some burn gel. Which she did, but was completely ignored. She came back empty handed. So I called over to the Scout and said "Hey, I burned my finger, can I get some burn gel?" And he looked at me and proceeded to completely ignore me.
I then walked over to him, held out my finger, and said "I KNOW you have burn gel over here. I saw it like 5 minutes ago. And it's already open. Please give me some, and while you're at it, may I please have a band-aid?" He stared at me blankly but eventually pulled out the open pouch, put some on my finger, and reluctantly handed me a band-aid.
Seriously. The burn was small but it HURT and it shouldn't be that hard to get a Scout with a first aid kit to help you out. Yes, I was being stupid, but still.
SSScout - You'd better hope my littlest one is never in your unit. LOL. She's going to turn any Scout leader's hair grey overnight. Yesterday after she landed flat on her face on the living room floor I had to tell her, "You cannot fly. Please stop trying." She answered. "Oh yeah. I forgotted. I was just trying to fly like SuperGirl." This is not the first time I've had to remind her that she cannot fly. She is almost 5. 🤦♀️
Day 4 of a bike trek we were headed into Angel Camp, one of the groups more daring riders lost control, careened into and flipped over a barb wire fence landing on a fair size Timber Rattler. Luck was on his side - it was a dry strike so no venom. However, we took him into Angel Camp, found something called a Medical center, not much more than a first aid station that deals with minor stuff such as colds and tummy aches. Watching the nurse go deer in the headlights when told I had a kid that was snake bit was priceless, all she could say was, "we've got no protocols for snakebite!". Assuring her it was a dry strike, and all that she had to deal was to clean the area, pop him with a tetanus shot and hand him an Rx for a course of antibiotics and that he would be fine. While that was happening, we got ahold of the mom back at base, an ER trauma nurse and told her of the event, after getting control of herself from a fit of roaring giggles, simply said to bring him back at the end of the week....