cub scouts fighting

Forgive me it's been a while since I was cubmaster and I don't want to be fuzzy on this particular item. Being Scoutmaster I have many different options available that can be done if I had this situation.

What is BSA's current policy on Cubs that get into a fight? The local pack had an incident where one cub "beatup" another cub, and then lied about it, never apologized, his mother never did anything after the cubmaster brought it to her attention, etc. The current cubmaster contacted the "attacker's" mother and wanted her son to write a letter of apology, this never happened, nor did the CM follow up nor press the issue from what I've seen and heard.

They're faced with the scout that was beat up doesnt' want to go to any more pack meetings, and is pretty close to dropping out of scouts due to this issue and the way it was handled. He mentioned this was the worse thing that happened to him last year, and knowing the family there were a couple other items that anyone would have said was much worse.

I'm being included in some discussions the pack is having about codes of conduct in general, but it appears the CM doesn't want to bring this incident up again.

Myself, I don't want this young man to drop out. He's a great scout and LOVEs scouting, he'd be an asset to my troop in a year when he crosses over in March... I'll be speaking to him and his mom to try to keep him in scouting.

I'd like to bring some "official guidelines" to the current CM, maybe that will help him take notice and actually do something to keep this from happening again.

thanks all!

Mike B

this is what the Guide to Safe Scouting says

Unit Responsibilities

Adult leaders of Scouting units are responsible for monitoring the behavior of youth members and interceding when necessary. Parents of youth members who misbehave should be informed and asked for assistance.

The BSA does not permit the use of corporal punishment by unit leaders when disciplining youth members.

The unit committee should review repetitive or serious incidents of misbehavior in consultation with the parents of the child to determine a course of corrective action including possible revocation of the youths membership in the unit.

If problem behavior persists, units may revoke a Scouts membership in that unit. When a unit revokes a Scouts membership, it should promptly notify the council of the action.

The unit should inform the Scout executive of any violations of the BSAs Youth Protection policies.

Each Cub Scout den and Webelos Scout den and each chartered Cub Scout pack, Boy Scout troop, Varsity Scout team, and Venturing crew shall have one leader, 21 years of age or older, who shall be registered and serve as the unit or den leader. The head of the chartered organization or chartered organization representative and the local council must approve the registration of the unit or den leader on the appropriate form.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss01.aspx#c

Then again, the BSA is not going to have guidelines on what to do in every circumstance nor would I want it to. Such things as you describe need to be handled at the local level by people close to and familiar with the situation

It sounds like this incident happened a year ago. Why is it coming back up now? Is it just because the injured Scout now does not want to continue in Cubs?

Was the "beating" done during a Scout activity? Did the injured Scout need medical treatment? What did the parents of the injured Scout do? Were there any witnesses, or is it just one boys word over another's?

Where do the Charter Organization(CO), the Charter Organization Representative(COR), and the Committee Chair(CC) stand on this? Anything done at this point will have to have the backing of the CO.

Physical violence is never allowed by BSA in any form. If this happened during a Scouting event the Pack, and the CO, should have stepped up immediately. Unfortunately, since it happened last year, and nothing was ever done, it is going to be difficult to come back now and "punish" the youth.

The Pack's best bet would be to get the COR, CC, and CM, together, go over the facts, and decide what they would like to see happen. Then, when they are all on the same page, they need to have a meeting with the "bully" Scout, and his parents, and discuss the problem, and the solutions.

Unfortunately, the Pack leadership failed this boy. You can talk with the Pack about how to deal with things in the future, but that doesn't help this lad right now.

I'm going to suggest something that might sound a bit radical to some - but if you really want this lad in your Troop, and think you can keep this lad in Scouting, it just might be crazy enough to work.

First, you tell this lad you want him to stick around so he can join your Troop - and you promise - pinky promise if you have to - that the bully will not be allowed to join the Troop.

Second, you get yourself listed as a Den Leader with the Pack - and you're going to have a Den of 1. This lad. He's only got a year left to bridge over which is why I think this could work. You work with him on his Webelos advancement - including Arrow of Light. If you work it right, you find a Scout in your unit that would be glad to be a mentor to this lad and make him a Den Chief (there is nothing in the manuals that says a Den Chief can't be involved in a Den of 1). Let the Den Chief handle most of the work while you supervise - they could meet on a weekly basis at the Webelos' lads home.

Third - invite the lad to attend Troop meetings - perhaps once per month to start - and invite him to a couple of camping trips as his webelos visits. Summer Camp is notin the cards, but there is nothing to prevent him from joining in with his Den Chief's Patrol on a few outings. (It's quite possible that the rest of the lads in the Troop will be like big brothers to him as well).

Fourth - Recognize the lad with his awards as you would your Troop members (hopefully with immediate recognition - then at your Court of Honor). Remember that you, and this lad, are still part of the Pack so make sure to invite the Cubmaster - and try to engage in some of the Pack activities as well - like Pinewood Derby.

Finally, do up a nice crossover ceremony for when the time comes to cross him over - maybe it's part of the Pack and maybe it's not.

Of course, if the other lad leaves the Pack, you won't have to do any of this - but if not - it just might keep the lad in the program - a year of "Lone Cubbing" with a Troop providing support.

just time for a quickie reply:

The event happened about a month ago, I should have put that this was the worse thing that happened to him in the past year. Kids judge a year as school years :-)

His mom was upset, and it appeared that the CM was going to handle it, but nothing actually was followed through.

It happened at a Pack event, one witness that saw the end of the fight.

No medical treatment needed, but the scout was crying, and did not provoke the attack. I have no doubt that this part is true after talking with the scout, and a couple other scouts that were around shortly before the attack.

I'll be able to reply in better detail in a couple hours. sorry to have to run....

Mike B

Personally I'm not big on coerced apoligies.

I'd go back and talk to the Cubmaster and Den Leader about how a repetition of this is going to be prevented.

If the facts are as clear as you say, suspending the offending kid for a month might be appropriate. In addition, requiring that a parent supervise the boy when he returns for another month or so might be appropriate.

One kid beating up another is not a good thing but why did the one Chub beat the other one up? Was it provoked?

If the attacker is in fact a bully, he can be shown the door.

Written apologies from a 10 year old are a waste of time.

If the two kids won't settle the grievance then the agressor (or winner, if you really can't tell who started it) is out of the pack.

Done.

Tough part: convincing everyone else this is the right thing to do.

A lot of folks will simply turn their backs on events like this because they don't like dealing with confrontation. From what you've posted so far, it sounds like this might be the case for the current CM of this pack. If that's true, then I think you stand very little chance of getting the CM to take further action.

Supposing that the entire scenario is exactly as you've said so far (boy was attacked by another boy - didn't provoke it, wasn't taunting the other kid, etc. - parents of aggressor won't enforce punishment and CM has swept it under the rug) - then I think you have a few paths to suggest to the parent & boy.

1) Let him quit cub scouting if he really wants to. Nothing saying he can't rejoin when he's of age to be in your troop.

2) Help him find a different pack, one where leaders don't put up with this nonsense and have some spine.

3) Find ways to ensure that the boy doesn't have to deal with the other kid in the pack - get them into separate dens, at least. If the den choices are less advantageous, make sure that it is the aggressor who gets the less favorable option.

4) Contact the COR and IH for the pack and ask them to direct the CM in what will be done. Perhaps they'll show some resolve where the CM has not.

5) Take Calico's suggestion. Or in modified form, provide a den chief to this boy's existing den and quietly let your den chief know to make buddies with this boy as best he can. Then let this boy know that the den chief is there to watch out for him - and be sure that you assign a den chief who will do this well. Having the cool older den chief be your buddy and look out for you can make a big difference to a 9 or 10 year old in distress.

Any of these have their pro's and con's. Leaving also gives the aggressor a real sense of power ("I made him leave") and might also teach this boy that it is best to just walk away when someone hurts you. You know the boys & families involved - we don't - so you'll have to judge for yourself whether you think that message could be a problem, in this situation.