One third of senior class caught cheating with cell phones

OMG!!! U R not srs!

Most kids today can't write a standard english sentence without using "Text language".

And we can't have the little darlings get bad grades, now can we? That would hurt their self-esteem.

Not to mention the additional hours the teacher would have to spend grading tests...you can't answer essay questions on a Scan-Tron bubble sheet.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scoutdr:

U R rite! Cn we du it?

Back in Grad School, I was a teaching assistant for a basic course. The Prof was a burn-out case. He had used the same multiple choice tests for years, just passing out new answer sheets. A lot of the test forms even had the correct answers circled by previous students. Every Frat and Sorority on Campus had copies of the tests in their files.

Naturally, students just memorized (or smuggled in) a list of the answers (A, C, D, B etc.). The AVERAGE scores were in the mid-90% range!

I asked if I could write a new exam, and the burn-out just shrugged. Not his problem as I would grade it. So from then on the tests consisted of 6-8 short answer essays. You could hear the howls all the way across campus that first day! Someone even had the guts to complain to the Dean that I had switched the test! What fun!

"Someone even had the guts to complain to the Dean that I had switched the test! What fun!"

I love it! I would like to have seen the look on the Dean's face.

When I was a grad TA I had a student (I taught a section of an 101 course) who had a real problem coming to class. After about 10 or 12 absences I dropped him with a failing grade (WF). Mommy complained to the Department Head and the Dean of Students. The Department Head later told me that while I had done everything right the grade was changed to a W so there was no impact to the student's GPA. I asked if I could change the grades of the other two students dropped for attendance, the ones whose parents didn't call the Dean and I was told no. I'll bet that kid is a congressman now.

Life just ain't fair.

Hal

Ah talks to the dean, brings back memories. When I was an adjunct, I actually has a student tell me I couldn't fail them b/c her work was paying for her to go back to school! She was having some challenges,and I was trying to help her pass. She kept giving me excuses why she didn't have time to study, and I told her that she needed to consider her education as a part time job. It was hard work that requried a little sacrifice at this point, but would open up a world of doors later. She didn't like the 'consider school to be a part time job" comment, and complained to the dean. The dean was not a happy camper :(

It seems as if the younger generation wants things handed to them. I see it with my nieces,and some of the scouts I work with.

It goes back further than this generation. I had a older colleague (and this is back in the 80s) tell me that grade inflation traced back to the 2-S draft deferments during the Vietnam war. "Professor, if I don't get a B in this course I'll lose my deferment" was the common plea. Most professors where not particularly in favor of the war in the first place and did not want to feel responsible for that boy coming home in a box. Hence "B" which means "Above Average" became the average grade.

As a college student I was fortunate that my parents were not aware of this shift and thought that a C average was just great. How I managed to get into grad school is another story.

Hal

Like I said b4 my wife teacher high school now ,she used to teach college but got fod up with the students getting paid by section 8 to go to school ,they would complain because she would not sign their forms till after class . so they couldnt get the form signed then skip the class ,she also had a problem with the other teachers who gave the same test year after year and wouldnt teach .Acording to her the high school students are more mature then the college students . she also got in trouble because she told a student that just wasnt that smart ,not everyone should go to college

Back on the topic of cell phones in school/class...

Where I live is geographically between where Columbine happened and the Platte Canyon High School where several girls were held hostage and one killed. Let me tell you that parents in this area consider their kids having a cell phone as necessary! If something is going on at their kid's school, they have the perception that they will be able to find out if their kid is ok before they hear about it in the media.

It's a long shot that something will happen in YOUR school but if it does, having another way to attempt to communicate with YOUR kid is a good thing.

Now - having said that, kids and parents need to have a long hard discussion as to what is appropriate use of the phone and what is not.

"Now - having said that, kids and parents need to have a long hard discussion as to what is appropriate use of the phone and what is not."

Completely agree, but that ain't gonna happen. Parents think that during school hours, it's the teachers' problem. The sense of right and wrong has been lost. I used to have the discussion with scouts during SM conferences and BOR about "sharing" music (when Limewire and Napster were the rage). They had no clue that copying music files and giving them to friends was wrong. The attitude was "if I'm able to do it, it must be OK." Same with cheating on a cell phone..."it it's so wrong, then why am I able to do it?" The Clinton mentality..."because I could."

Hoover: We're in trouble. I just checked with the guys at the Jewish house and they said that every one of our answers on the Psych test was wrong.

Boon: Every one?

[looks at Bluto and D-Day]

Boon: Those a$$$$$$ must have stolen the wrong exam!

We can "If" this thing to death! "If" something happens at my little Johnny's school .....................

Bottom line is cell phones are not needed by kids! If mom wants to get a hold of little Johnny then she can call the school and leave a message! If it is a life or death situation the school will make sure little Johnny will get the message ASAP!

The problem is these "helicopter" parents want to know every move their little precious makes! That isn't going to prevent a Columbine or LA Fitness from happening.

Solution to a texting class (assuming you can't jam signals, bar electronic devices, etc.):

1. Oral quizzes, stand up and respond to random question in front of the entire class (remember Room 222?)

2. Oral exams (in front of a board of three teachers).

3. Written exams.

GernBlansten wrote:

"Hoover: We're in trouble. I just checked with the guys at the Jewish house and they said that every one of our answers on the Psych test was wrong.

Boon: Every one?

[looks at Bluto and D-Day]

Boon: Those a$$$$$$ must have stolen the wrong exam!"

Bluto - "Did we quit when the Germans bombed pearl harbor?"

Otter - "Germans"

Boone - "Forget it, he's on a roll"

Toga! Toga! Toga!