Merit Badge Classes

So, I was reading in the other thread the general opinion that teaching merit badges in classes was a sure sign that the troop was adult-led and was a bad thing. Now believe me, I'm big on Scout-led, and the total chaos of our troop meetings and the missing items on campouts will assure you that our troop is scout-led.

But what about if the scouts WANT to have troop merit badge classes?

It hasn't happened yet, I think because most of the troop are younger and working on Tenderfoot to First Class, but what would you do, in a Scout-led troop, if the PLC came to the Scoutmaster and said, "Mr. Scoutmaster, we have noticed a strong need for the First Aid merit badge. We have at least 8 scouts that all want to work on that merit badge, and they thought it would help everyone learn better if they worked on it together as a group. In fact, we found out that we could use the fellowship hall next Saturday and would like to invite the merit badge counselor to have a group session with us. Would that be okay?"

My response would be, "You already set that up and planned it? Go for it."

And again, I see and understand the merit badge process, and I know that it is for individuals and I see the adult association that is absolutely key. But if the scouts want to do this, I don't see anything wrong when the scouts set it up and plan it. What do you folks think?

(For the record, I am opposed to adults announcing, "This week we're working on First Aid merit badge, let's everyone come do it now." And even generally opposed to working on merit badges in troop meetings, as there's not time for that. At the same time, I might slip in a few parts of a merit badge on a campout -- not so the scouts can complete the merit badge, but just to introduce them to the subject of the merit badge and hopefully spark their interest.)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeff-o,

I am one to jump on the band waggon against merit badge classes. However, I see First Aid MB as one of a very few exceptions to this standard. As I see it, BSA intends a MB to be an individual expereince, not something which happens as a group. I also take that expectation further to say that a scout should do the majority of the learning on his own, and the counselor should be there to guide him in his learning.

But there are some MBs where this model does not effectively fit in my nice neat box. The first one of these is First Aid, and I put it in a category by itself, for several reasons. One, it is difficult to learn this by reading books: bandages, splints and such must be shown and practiced. This can be done very effectively in a group setting, so long as there is attention to the individual scout (see ACP&C, more on that in a minute). Likewise, I see First Aid as a skill set which can be a life changer (literally). How many scouts have suddenly found themselves in a situation where the knowledge gained while studying Citizenship in the Community MB allowed them to save someone's life?

The other exception category I see is skill/safety related MBs. Climbing, Canoeing, Rifle Shooting Pioneering and other similar badges are based on physical skills, not book knowledge. Many times these are best mastered in a multi-scout environment, where observing others effects learning, often with scouts trying to "out-do" the next. No scout says "I am going to have a better Family Life experience than my buddy."

The Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures guidebook makes this statement:

"The question arises as to whether it is permissible to have Scouts earn merit badges in groups. Many subjects may be presented to groups of Scouts without defeating one of the purposes of the merit badge plan -- working closely with a qualified adult.

The National Executive Board has approved this policy statement on merit badge counseling:

To the fullest extent possible, the merit badge counseling relationship is a counselor-Scout arrangement in which the boy is not only judged on his performance of the requirements, but receives maximum benefit from the knowledge, skill, character, and personal interest of his counselor. Group instruction and orientation are encouraged where special facilities and expert personnel make this most practical, or when Scouts are dependent on only a few counselors for assistance. However, this group experience should be followed by attention to each individual candidate's projects and his ability to fulfill all requirements.

In the end, the Scout must be reviewed individually by the counselor to ensure completion of the badges requirements.

In harmony with this policy, a troop or team may use merit badge counselors in unit meetings. The merit badge counselor can make a presentation covering the highlights of a merit badge subject. Scouts should then be given an opportunity to try some skill related to the badge. This introduction to a merit badge can spark an interest in the subject."

Advancement Policies #33088, p. 26)

Hope that helps.

HMMM, good question.

I am a firm believer that First Aid MB should be requiried again for First Class. I say that b/c in my experience whenever there is a medical emergency, and folks know you are a scout, they EXPECT you to know first aid and to administer it until help arrives. This happened to me as a brand new 11 y.o. Tenderfoot, again about a year later, and when I was 16. Luckily the first go around was somehting covered by READYMAN.

I would do a compromise. I would focus onthe T-2-1 FA skills, having the older scouts teach it and work withthe younger scouts. rememebr it is a requirement to teach those skills, and it is a great review of the basics of FA. Then I would have the MBC come in, give a talk or presentation AND give an intro on how he can help with the FAMB.

No the opinion in the other thread was that teaching Merit Badges at TROOP meetings was not a good idea. However, offering a class on a Saturday I see nothing wrong with. Our coucil holds Merit Badge Days on Saturdays for scouts a couple of times a year and they can pick one Merit badge to work on. Some are completed that day and some are not. This is done on the Scouts own time and they can choose which Merit Badge to work on. Same for Merit Badges at Summer Camp...they are chosen by the Scout and worked on at their own time.

I think it's OK to have MB classes from time to time, once in a while. Maybe the troop has a particular interest in something and someone is willing to teach it. I don't think it should run the whole meeting and I don't think it should be routine.

When I got First Aid, there was a group of us who wanted to do it. Mr Wright got us a counselor (a dentist) and we set up group lessons, away from the Troop meeting.

It can be done.

E92, I'd rather see more and better first aid at S-T-2-1 and toughen the 1st Aid MB requirements. You're from the era behind me, with ####### skill awards and merit badges for T-2-1. Basic skills, advanced skills is my mantra.

John,

Yep I was in the mid to late 80s, with the last HB GBB wrote. My troop policy was that you did NOT earn MBs before 1st, except First Aid as it was required for First Class.

Now I was able to work on MBs at summer camp as a 2nd Class. BUT I had everything done except First Aid MB and the swim test. If memory serves, i had my BOR at summercamp.

Now in reference to revising First Aid requirements, I agree the t-2-1 skills can be upped a little, and I think the FA MB ones could focus more on camping situations. I know my FA MBC was an exacting, fair, but tough one who used real life outdoor situations that made us think to adapt to the situation.

E92

For certain badges, I am comfortable when, during the Training portion of the Troop meeting, some Scouts take that time to meet with a Merit Badge Counselor. There are some portions of the badge knowledge that can be explained at a Troop meeting, with later individual follow-up as the Scout does the work on their own.

We will have First Aid MB at Troop meetings now that most of our Webelos Scouts have bridged in. During this time the newly elected PLC will have Leadership training, and the Scouts are working on a plan for the rest of the Troop as well.

We are coming off of our Camporee prep meetings - so it will go from one set of Scout skills to another.

How about Merit Badge Camporees?

You know, where the entire event is based around earning merit badges. The scout signs up for the badges, and then goes to classes all weekend long, trying to earn as many as possible.

I think that Baden would roll over in his grave if he found out that this is the basis for a camporee.

What do you think?

It is totally appropriate to teach first aid during troop meetings. But it should be done in a way so as to preserve the overall process.

If your Scouts want to have First Aid merit badge as a troop function, first of all the Scouts need to be responsible for teaching the first aid skills where appropriate. Actually, most of the merit badge can be taught by knowledgable Scouts. Many of the requirements are repeated from T-2-1 requirements.

I would encourage the Scouts to invite outside experts to make the instruction interesting for the older boys -- maybe have the local fire department or rescue squad teach some advanced stuff; give them the opportunity to get CPR certification; a peak a wilderness first aid strategy; or using AED equipment.

But here's the key. The Scouts then have to contact a counselor and pass mustard with them. The counselor should go through each requirement with each Scout INDIVIDUALLY and make sure they know the material. All the requirements contain verbs. Do, explain, describe, show, visit, teach. Not one single requirement says "attend a class or lecture."

PeteM -- I agree. I don't know why folks think they are doing Scouts a service by making merit badges easier to get. I'm catching flack now over our Scouts attending the local merit badge mill weekend. "But they have some really cool classes the boys can't take elsewhere." Not true. Our troop has well-qualified counselor for EVERY SINGLE BADGE being offered at the mill. In some cases, the mill counselors are folks from our troop.

But guess what? Our Scouts never asks to do those merit badges individually. What's the difference? Why will boys go to a mill and take a merit badge class but won't approach a counselor individually to earn the same badge? You tell me.

Yes, I think saying a troop that does MBs during a troop meeting means the troop is adult run is overstating without knowing the troop program. While MB activities during a troop meeting might be typical or indicative of a adult run troop, it doesn't mean it is an adult run troop.

Our PLC once planned Car Show at one troop meeting where a dozen or so adults brought their hot rods and muscle cars. That was a very cool meeting for the scouts (AND DADS!). And it was under the theme of the Car Engine Maintenance MB. A dozen Webelos joined our troop because they visited on a night our troop was doing some cool activities under the Space Exploration MB. We had a really good SPL at that time and the PLC actually planned three real good meetings under that theme.

If the scouts were only focused on advancement and not the MB theme, I might get concerned. I would be real concerned if they only planned MB activities for most of the meeting. But if scouts come up with great programs from MB themes, I'm cheering them on.

We also do first aid every year.

Barry

PeteM,

I never thought that camporees work that way. They're generally competitions. I don't have a problem with a camporee (a competition) that revolves around the skills of a merit badge. However, it should not be arranged so that the scouts earn the badge "automatically" at the camporee, but rather that the scout can then approach an MBC and easily earn the badge because he trained for the camporee, attended it and applied the skills at the camporee and then went through the merit badge process with an MBC.

Great ideas here, thanks for the comments.

I do believe in the scout-run troop, and again, while it hasn't happened, I can't see turning down a group of scouts who say, "Gee, this is what we want to do." I didn't mean to center it around the First Aid merit badge. For example, we're going camping in a couple weeks, and we still don't have a real theme for the campout (it was going to be climbing, but the expenses were too high) -- so I'm wondering if scouts will say, "Gee, could we do all the stuff for merit badge xxxx there?"

I also LOVE the ideas put forth here -- if we do a group merit badge session, the weekend or day-long session will be teaching the merit badge -- without awarding anything. The concept would be: "Here's how to do this, here's all the information." Then, as mentioned, if a scout wants to earn the merit badge, they can contact the counselor and be "tested" on what they learned.

I like that a WHOLE lot better than when I see scouts go to a day-long session put on by a local museum or what-not where they earn a badge and I ask them, "What did you learn about?" and get the answer, "I dunno."