• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a different question: Other than the situations that John-in-KC mentions (which seem non-ceremonial in nature, in other words virtually nobody is going to see the flag in its non-traditionally folded state), why would anyone want to fold it differently? Just to prove you can?

Gee OGE thank you so much for editing my post here and on another thread to guarantee that Bobby White's feelings were not hurt, after all he treats everyone in this forum with such great respect in his responses, lol! I was not personally attacking him rather pointing out his incorrect use of the word official.(This message has been edited by BadenP)

Let's see . . . they're much easier to store when folded into a rectangle. Look at new flags.

I'm also amused by the made-up symbolism of the triangle fold just as I'm amused by the made-up symbolism regarding the flag itself.(This message has been edited by Gold Winger)

The Flag is folded in the traditional way as a practical matter. When the Flag is presented to the person with the lanyard, both grommets are conveniently located in the most accessable area. Taking the upper clip of the lanyard he can affix the flag to the union grommet and the lower clip to the stripes grommet. Now the flag is firmly affixed to the lanyard without ever having to unfold it. When the lanyard is pulled the flag will, by nature of the folding, unfurl itself right-side-up as the flag bearer continues to stand motionless. If only one person is affixing the flag, he can keep the flag tucked under his arm, apply the clips appropriately and then while holding the flag with one arm, pull the lanyard with the other and raise the flag without any unfolding occuring until the lanyard is pulled. Encased flags are never folded because they are not expected to be taken off the pole, but are always presented already affixed to the pole. They are unfurled and carried prior to the ceremony.

Stosh

Interesting. BTW, the rope on a flagpole is a "halyard."

Here's the explanation that I got from TIOH a years ago

"There is no official significance to each of the 13 folds of the flag and really no information on folding the flag in a triangle. The first mention of folding the flag into the shape of a "Cocked Hat" did not appear in the Army regulation until 1923. There was no information of this use of folding the flag prior to this date, nor was anything found that could associate it with a Naval custom (as most flag traditions). It appears that the method of folding the flag was developed to facilitate handling and storage."

Which goes along with your explanation of "unfurling" as it is hoisted.

Had a thought whilst mowing my lawn. If BeeDub had intended to reference the "official" BSA way of folding the flag, he would have referred us to a BSA publication not a third party's web site. Then to follow that with an attempt at obfuscation is shameful.

There is no "official" flag folding method in the Boy Scouts of America. The only time one MUST use the triangular fold is as a requirement to earn Tenderfoot - but the handbook does not, anywhere, say this is the "Official" Boy Scouts of America method of folding the flag.

To say that a Tenderfoot requirement makes it "Official" throughout the organization is like saying that cooking over an open fire is the "Official" way to cook in the BSA because that's part of the requirements for Second Class, and none of the other requirements specify what method one needs to use for cooking.

The fold taught in the BSA Handbook is the Traditional method, not the "Official" method. And it can be done by one person if needed.

Do not mistake Traditional for Official - isn't that something a certain "great and powerful wizard of the BSA" keeps telling us?

Calico

When I teach "flag ettiquette" to Cub Scouts (see Wolf... #2G), the toughest thing is learning to fold the US flag in the triangle. But when they 'get it', boy, are they proud of themselves. For some reason, kids these days aren't as ''manipulative'' as I remember, I sometimes have to actually take their hand and turn it the proper way to get that right triangle. The mantra is "thumb under", "thumb under". The average 7 or 8 or 9 year old tends to let his hands STAY palm up, no matter what, so the folds get messed up, UNTIL they realize they must turn the hand OVER with the folding, starting with the "thumb UNDER" the flag, then flipping the fold over on the edge, thus keeping the triangle the same shape.

My small research showed that the special fold of the USFlag originated in (alledgedly) a Royal navy method of packaging a flag so it would 'pop' open at the top of the haul (see jblake47's post). It is 'traditional', not "official". It is done that way because it can be done that way. The proportions of the USFlag just happen to lend themselves to the success of this method. It is, to my knowledge, the only special folding method for a national flag. I tell my Cubs, if they were to fold the flag of Brazil, or Japan, or Germany, they would fold it with due ceremony and respect but no differently then their mom's table cloth.

" wow, that is sooo neat!!"

Please see http://www.snopes.com/military/flagfold.asp

The British flag break is as follows:

Flags should be raised briskly and lowered ceremoniously. An alternative British tradition for flag raising is to hoist the flag while it is still rolled up and tied with a slip knot or a thin piece of cotton. A quick and sharp tug of the halyard will break the cotton and release the flag to fly free. This is refered to as "breaking" the flag, and is often used to mark the beginning of an event, or the arrival of a VIP.

Since this topic itself is much-ado-about-very-little, I'll answer Ed's question: "Has anyone noticed the extra hostility since Bob White's return?"

I have noticed that Bob White's tone has been moderated and that compared to some of the exchanges prior to return, they are measured and objective. I give credit when due.

Or did you mean hostility toward Bob White, Ed?