Guys, on another message board, I have been asked about BSA Lifeguard. The poster has said that her son earned BSA Lifeguard at camp and she doesn't know what he can use it for..

I'm not sure, but I was thinking that BSA Lifeguard was considered the same as the Red Cross.. correct me if I'm wrong please...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hopper,

How is your summer going?

BSA Lifeguard is good if you want to advance in Sea Scouting or work at a Boy Scout camp.

Most pools (public) do not recognize BSA Lifeguard is you apply for a job as a Lifeguard.

Then again we have a female Red Cross certified Lifeguard, who had to take BSA Lifeguard before she could work at a Boy Scout Camp.

Still of the two the Red Cross will open more doors and more than lightly you will end up with more money.

Of course as a teenagers you aren't interested in money!!

Ea.

You should check with your local pool or swimming area if they will recognize BSA Lifeguard for a job.

I think it depends on where you live.

During BSA Lifeguard training this winter we were told that most places around here will accept BSA Lifeguard for a job position at a public (or private) pool or swimming areas.

One of the young ladies in my class was taking BSA Lifeguard as she had a Lifeguard job at a local County Club lined up for the summer.

One of the big differences between BSA Lifeguard and Red Cross Lifeguard training is that RC only teaches rescue techniques with a rescue tube.

The Red Cross teaches that you never enter the water without one.

Because in the BSA you may be swimming where a rescue tube is not available, like during a back country canoe trek, it teaches rescues with and without a rescue tube.

My son just passed his BSA Lifeguard training on Friday!

There is a reciprocity agreement between the ARC and BSA. Check with your local Red Cross Water Safety Programs office. One of our DEs was working on the local agreement when he got transferred, and I don't know what the status is.

I'm red cross lifeguard and water safety instructor certified. Of course that was 25 years ago, but we did rescues without flotation devices. Had to swim a victim via the cross chest carry for 400 yards. Survival swim for 2 hours (fully clothed). Do a mile swim. Just to get certified. Don't know the requirements for BSA lifeguard but can't believe they are as stringent. Or Red Cross eased the requirements.

It depends on where you are. My son just completed BSA Lifeguard. Our local pool system does not acknowledge BSA Lifeguard. I understand it has to do with rescue techniques, but it sounds like it's more of a political issue locally between the Red Cross and BSA.

I should have said, in answer to Hops' original question...the stated purpose of the BSA Lifefguard program is to train unit Scouts and Scouters to conduct their own unit level aquatics activities safely (in accordance with the G2SS, Safe Swim Defense and Safety Afloat). That's it in a nutshell.

Just did a little research and in our council, BSA lifeguard is a weekend course at the council camp pool, so lets say 16 hours max. Our local Red Cross lifeguard certification is 28 hours. Just from that, I'd say RC is more stringent than BSA.

Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) is an additional 36 hours of training and allows you to teach swimming. Not sure if BSA lifeguard does that.

I got my RC Lifeguard and WSI while in high school (this was during the Carter Administration) as part of the school academic program. I remember it taking two semesters to complete it but got a summer job working at the public pools right away. Even met my current wife there.

Having also been a WSI, I would rate WSI as one notch below the level of National Camp School Aquatics Director training.

FWIU, AD training covers all aspects of pool management, where WSI teaches training techniques.

WSI and BSA LG Counselor, from all I've seen, are on par with each other, even if not necessarily mutually recognized.

BSA LG, done to rigorous standard, and allocated plenty of practice time, prepares the Scout/Venturer/Scouter for most rescue challenges short of technical white water. A BSA LG is fully trained in SSD and SA. He's trained in setting up and maintaining a swim area, be it pool or open water. He's trained in the baseline aquatics rules that comprise the G2SS aquatics chapter.

When I was TC Chair, I was a current BSA LG. The Troop wanted to do something completely out of the safety box. I had a (then 10th grade) youth BSA LG. I asked him to come to TC and throw down the baloney flag. Amazing how chastened the Scouters were.

• 8 months later...

OK as a NCS Aquatic Director, from my knowlege this is how it goes. Red Cross is actually less cerification then BSA is because there is rescues with and without tubes, plus there is a way to certify a BSA guard who is already a Red Cross Guard with just a few new skills being taught.