Scouts Honor - Netflix

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you find that the cost of belonging to an organization who has to pay for their past too expensive you can always quit.

An organization is only as good as it's human leadership (General Miley, thank you for calling your office). The ideals not withstanding, the past BSA leadership  were thinking too wishfully. The

I'll never be convinced that the modern BSA is any worse than most other youth organizations when it comes to prevention. YPT isn't perfect, and nothing is. But it's still miles ahead of what your loc

So, if I was skeptical about how unbalanced this entire issue has been in the media, I have to wonder why now?  The lawyers are not getting enough money I suppose, and the concept that BSA errors and "cover ups" stand alone are not shown.  Unless they modify this to be inclusive of "every" civic agency that chose to not follow up for whatever reason, and also on the fact that many families chose to NOT have it made public, and also list the actual redators they may then have a more comlete story.  But then they would have to admit that the issue is not just a BSA problem, but societal and family based as well.  The difference is that those entities either have legal protections as government entities, or they simply do not have the money to pursue. And just for info, I do not feel the BSA is blameless, only that the whole picture is radically skewed towards the "money belief" and that somehow they are the only perpetrators.  We do get back to a percentage of abuse number based on long term membership over decades, one that has shown to be far lower than other comparative groups.  Also, it has become obvious with this that many of the filed cases are thin at best, as the survivors only remember "something", but no specifics.  I would have far less issue with this if it actually did make any real effort to go beyond the BSA and the sensationalism.  JMO, so please do not start with the finger pointing that I am a black hearted hater of victims.  If the lawyers, and now the media people were not making money hand over fist, it would be easier to deal with.  

36 minutes ago, skeptic said:

So, if I was skeptical about how unbalanced this entire issue has been in the media, I have to wonder why now?  The lawyers are not getting enough money I suppose, and the concept that BSA errors and "cover ups" stand alone are not shown.  Unless they modify this to be inclusive of "every" civic agency that chose to not follow up for whatever reason, and also on the fact that many families chose to NOT have it made public, and also list the actual redators they may then have a more comlete story.  But then they would have to admit that the issue is not just a BSA problem, but societal and family based as well.  The difference is that those entities either have legal protections as government entities, or they simply do not have the money to pursue. And just for info, I do not feel the BSA is blameless, only that the whole picture is radically skewed towards the "money belief" and that somehow they are the only perpetrators.  We do get back to a percentage of abuse number based on long term membership over decades, one that has shown to be far lower than other comparative groups.  Also, it has become obvious with this that many of the filed cases are thin at best, as the survivors only remember "something", but no specifics.  I would have far less issue with this if it actually did make any real effort to go beyond the BSA and the sensationalism.  JMO, so please do not start with the finger pointing that I am a black hearted hater of victims.  If the lawyers, and now the media people were not making money hand over fist, it would be easier to deal with.  

This documentary is one of at least three that have been in development for some time. One was Leave No Trace, which aired last year on Hulu, this one on Netflix, and there is a third but I can't remember who it is affiliated with or when it will air. 

4 hours ago, skeptic said:

I would have far less issue with this if it actually did make any real effort to go beyond the BSA and the sensationalism. 

So not having seen it you've formed an opinion huh?  Sorry, but I fall into the camp of "Let's see what it has to say" before I form any sort of opinion.  If it moves the needle at all to prevent what happened from re-occuring then good.  As Santayana said "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  The fullest understanding of what happened and why will be the best way to step toward preventing its being repeated.  I don't think you're black-hearted.  I just hope ALL of us will do our best to watch with an open mind and consider its values and faults.  Too much was secret for too long.  This is a part of the reckoning.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, yknot said:

This documentary is one of at least three that have been in development for some time. One was Leave No Trace, which aired last year on Hulu, this one on Netflix, and there is a third but I can't remember who it is affiliated with or when it will air. 

I understand that the third was from the "Tiger King" production crew but Covid hit and it didn't move forward.  At least for now.  I have a hunch the Netflix project was completed mid-bankruptcy so perhaps that's a story waiting to be told, someday.

5 hours ago, skeptic said:

If the lawyers, and now the media people were not making money hand over fist, it would be easier to deal with.  

Not one lawyer representing a claimant in the bankruptcy (outside of the TCC lawyers) has received a dime as of now. If you know one, name them and then your stance may have some validity. 

1 hour ago, MYCVAStory said:

I understand that the third was from the "Tiger King" production crew but Covid hit and it didn't move forward.  At least for now.  I have a hunch the Netflix project was completed mid-bankruptcy so perhaps that's a story waiting to be told, someday.

Ok thanks. I don't think that's what I was thinking of then. Someone like Sebastian Junger or someone like him is attached to it.  

15 hours ago, johnsch322 said:

Not one lawyer representing a claimant in the bankruptcy (outside of the TCC lawyers) has received a dime as of now.

Just reminded me.....Judge Silverstein still hasn't ruled on the Coalition's "Substantial Contribution" request for reimbursement by the BSA. 

17 hours ago, johnsch322 said:

Not one lawyer representing a claimant in the bankruptcy (outside of the TCC lawyers) has received a dime as of now. If you know one, name them and then your stance may have some validity. 

"representing a claimant" and excluding TCC are key words and perhaps a bit tricky.  BSA has paid $300+ million in bankruptcy lawyer fees.  We all watched the massive invoices that were court approved.  It's disingenuous to pretend it's not been a cash cow for many firms.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t think it’s tricky. The money paid out was because BSA chose to go into bankruptcy. If bankruptcy was not the choice of BSA then that money would not have been spent in that matter. I believe @skeptic has made it clear in all his posts that it is the claimant’s lawyers who he considers “vultures etc”.

Edited by johnsch322

EIN Presswire 8/16/2023

Scouts Honor: The Secret Files of the Boy Scouts of America, the feature-length film scheduled for Netflix release, was directed by Brian Knappenberger.

The documentary includes exclusive interviews with survivors, whistleblowers, and former employees, and prominently features Zero Abuse Project Board of Directors member, Detective Michael Johnson. As The Boy Scouts' former Youth Protection Director turned whistleblower, Johnson provides crucial insight into the inner workings of The Boy Scouts and speaks to the internal decisions the organization made leading to decades of failed leadership.

“One of the things that they had in their marketing messages is, 'The Boys Scouts has a rigorous application and screening process,' and that's not true, and it's never been true," says Michael  Johnson in the film's trailer. "I'm here to tell you that the organization is still not safe for boys and girls.”

My question, will there be a response to above statement from the current  BSA Youth Protection Executive, Glen Pounder?

More at source:

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/business/press-releases/ein-presswire/650253106/zero-abuse-project-recognizes-the-new-documentary-scouts-honor-the-secret-files-of-the-boy-scouts-of-america/

https://www.einpresswire.com/article/650253106/zero-abuse-project-recognizes-the-new-documentary-scouts-honor-the-secret-files-of-the-boy-scouts-of-america

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 2
On 8/17/2023 at 12:12 AM, RememberSchiff said:

My question, will there be a response to above statement from the current  BSA Youth Protection Executive, Glen Pounder?

This will be an excellent opportunity for the BSA to comment on the YP agreements in the bankruptcy settlement, announce the third-party it's going to hire to consult with, and not sound tooo defensive.  We'll see.  Oh, remember as well that there must be a mechanism so that the public can find out how many YP infractions have occurred in the past with a specific troop.  That transparency will mean more than any back-and-forth over press releases.  Only thing is this, all the transparency in the world won't help if children don't report their abuse.  We know many do not.

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, MYCVAStory said:

This will be an excellent opportunity for the BSA to comment on the YP agreements in the bankruptcy settlement, announce the third-party it's going to hire to consult with, and not sound tooo defensive.  We'll see.

Agree, our new YP Executive has been onboard for 4 months and we have yet to hear from him.

• 1 month later...

What do we know about this mechanism for the public to search for YPT violations? Is it a website? Do we enter the state/council/unit number and a list of YPT violations (potentially redacted) populates? I am curious as I would just like to know, and I am also curious to know if a unit folds and a new unit replaces it at the same CO with a different unit number will the search return zero results on that unit? 

5 hours ago, Tron said:

What do we know about this mechanism for the public to search for YPT violations? Is it a website? Do we enter the state/council/unit number and a list of YPT violations (potentially redacted) populates? I am curious as I would just like to know, and I am also curious to know if a unit folds and a new unit replaces it at the same CO with a different unit number will the search return zero results on that unit? 

I believe it's fairly amorphous right now. My understanding is that it is part of the settlement, but no real description was given or any kind of timeline. It could start to materialize in one year or ten from what I read. Would be interested to know if anyone else has more complete information. if it's limited to convictions, it will be pretty useless. 

• Upvote 1