Chapter 11 announced - Part 14 - Plan Effective

16 hours ago, Ojoman said:

1 billion of the 2.4 billion million going to 'legal expenses' already. 

Does that include the previous invoiced and paid expenses thru the bankruptcy court proceedings over the last several years that is probably outside the 2.4 billion settlement?  Other administrative costs of the settlement administrators? 

1 billion of 2.4 billion is about 42%.  I'm betting if everything is factored in, it is really significantly higher.  

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This framing drives me crazy.  BSA isn't being sued because BSA has money, BSA is being sued because BSA DID SOMETHING WRONG!  That has been the finding of virtually every judge and jury that has hear

I just wanted to say happy father's day to all the Survivors who tried and have tried their best, for so long, to be the best father they could be.  The secrets you kept to protect the partners in you

Maybe just a moment to take a break in the discussion and upvote or downvote @RememberSchiff for his diligent and faithful monitoring of this site, and all the delightful and informative Scouting news

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

Does that include the previous invoiced and paid expenses thru the bankruptcy court proceedings over the last several years that is probably outside the 2.4 billion settlement?  Other administrative costs of the settlement administrators? 

1 billion of 2.4 billion is about 42%.  I'm betting if everything is factored in, it is really significantly higher.  

I have not looked at the financials of the trust, lately.  Has the trust even received $1B?  I understood much of the $2.4B did not need to be paid while litigation was pending.  Wouldn't be ironic if those who filed the motion to discard the $3500 election and lost the ruling actually end up with MORE $$?  Not an impossible outcome, with the ongoing litigation AND the possibility of a huge advance of up to 1.5% or $1000.

12 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

So, tell me again that the legal buzzards are not getting fed.  Meanwhile, those that should be first are last, or so it seems.  Only in this country I fear is this somehow found okay by many.

• Upvote 3
On 2/14/2024 at 6:24 PM, BadChannel70 said:

23A741 LUJAN CLAIMANTS and DUMAS & VAUGHN CLAIMANTS, Applicants, v. BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA, et al., Respondents. | PDF | Boy Scouts Of America | Fourteenth Amendment To The United States Constitution (scribd.com)

Justice Alito is not a proponent of the equitable mootness doctrine and is requiring BSA to respond by 2/15/2024. Day before IRO deadline of 2/16/2024. Indication Scouting Settlement Trust will be shutdown pending SCOTUS decision in Purdue case. APP probably attempt to scramble the egg even more.

8-1/7-2 SCOTUS rules non-debtor releases are not authorized by bankruptcy code.

We shall soon see....

2/15/2024 update: BSA responded to the Supreme Court that blocking the settlement would "throw the Scouting program into chaos" and "potentially destroy BSA’s ability to carry out its 114-year-old charitable mission."

"The Purdue case is "starkly different" because that company’s bankruptcy plan has not yet gone into effect, the Boy Scouts argued. The organization emerged from bankruptcy in April 2023 and its settlement has already paid more than $7 million to nearly 3,000 survivors of sexual abuse."

More at source:

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

$7 million to nearly 3,000 survivors of sexual abuse."

$2,333 per survivor ....

This will be a big decision.  I'm not sure paying out 0.2% of the settlement is enough to say it is too late to pause. That said, I do agree that it is likely the best settlement for survivors and BSA. 

It will be interesting to see how the court rules.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Eagle1970 said:

I have not looked at the financials of the trust, lately.  Has the trust even received $1B?  I understood much of the $2.4B did not need to be paid while litigation was pending.  Wouldn't be ironic if those who filed the motion to discard the $3500 election and lost the ruling actually end up with MORE $$?  Not an impossible outcome, with the ongoing litigation AND the possibility of a huge advance of up to 1.5% or $1000.

My understanding is that all appeal litigation must end before insurance companies make their full payments.  

The Trust will go into administrative "mothballs" with no money disbursed.  Look for the Trust to make a statement soon.  Then, we will all wait for Purdue to be decided before June ends.  No one knows if the Stay is a sign of good news or bad down the road.  Those who say one or the other are guessing.  In the meantime, just some perspective,  86% of the almost 60,000 voting Survivors approved the BSA plan and the TWO attorneys who filed for the Stay represent .2% (that's one/fifth of ONE percent) of all Survivors.  In the case of Lujan from Guam, that attorney already successfully negotiated awards for her Survivors from the Catholic Church.  So while she enjoys her percentage of that, Survivors in the BSA Bankruptcy now see theirs on hold.  Regardless of the outcome of all of this, today is a BAD day for Survivors who have waited for a glimmer of hope.  Me, I filed my questionnaire yesterday.  24 hours later I now feel worse off.

• Thanks 1

This is an administrative stay issued by a single justice of the Supreme Court.  It is only guaranteed to last a week-ish - just long enough for the entire Supreme Court to consider whether to further halt proceedings.  That will be a significant ruling.  For now, I suggest not reading too much into this.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MYCVAStory said:

86% of the almost 60,000 voting Survivors approved the BSA plan and the TWO attorneys who filed for the Stay represent .2% (that's one/fifth of ONE percent) of all Survivors.  

So, 8,400 voted no and are being forced into a settlement that releases all 3rd party liability.  ... It's always a few that protect the rights of many.  So, it may be only two lawyers, but it's not that clear cut.  ...   There is always the question of whether the 60,000 voters are real or part of the massive infomercial victim expansion.

It's best for BSA if this moves forward and the bankruptcy is done.

On the flip side, 3rd party releases is questionable.  I'd personally rather not see it exist.  It allows for these massive cases that pervert the courts.  

1 hour ago, SNEScouter said:

This is an administrative stay issued by a single justice of the Supreme Court.  It is only guaranteed to last a week-ish - just long enough for the entire Supreme Court to consider whether to further halt proceedings.  That will be a significant ruling.  For now, I suggest not reading too much into this.

Thanks for this info.  

If they are willing to hold up a $10B bankruptcy like Purdue, why wouldn't they hold up $2.4B BSA bankruptcy based on the same arguments when only $7M was spent to date.  I hope they don't hold it up and agree that it doesn't mean they plan to overrule Purdue, I just question overuse of mootness.

In terms of the Purdue decision I hold to my initial thoughts post arguments... they find a way to uphold the plan, but it will be close and perhaps set a new bar for 3rd party releases.

Would uphold Purdue plan: Thomas, Kavanaugh

Would reject Purdue plan: Gorsuch, Barrett, Jackson

On the fence (or just tougher to read): Roberts, Alito, Sotomayor, Kagan

3rd highest chartered organization with abuse claims getting a "free get out of jail card" in BSA bankruptcy but has contributed $0 dollars to settlement trust fund. They have also petitioned the bankruptcy court to recoup $1,000,000.00 in legal fees for their significant contribution. That million, if approved, will come from the trust fund for survivors.

Deam straight I want SCOTUS to shine a light up the arse of "the plan" and non-debtor 3rd party releases. I too submitted my claim info to the trust fund yesterday,

image.thumb.png.9c54278eb4e6ed2ae333653bdbff24e0.png

Edited by BadChannel70