Going by the Book, or Changing to Encourage Participation

1 hour ago, MattR said:

Any of the methods, if done right, are fine. The problem is there are so many that everyone gets lost in the weeds and can't see the forest.

I'd replace woodbadge with a 5 day class on creating fun games with a purpose. It's not even my idea. It's how Green Bar Bill did it. It's why I insisted on games at meetings and why our camporees were popular. Creating good games is not a difficult idea but it's hard to do and requires a lot of useful skills and imagination.

Depending on the age range, "creating a good game" can often just be taking some existing game and adding a few unnecessarily complications.  Cubs in particular tend to love that, but the younger scouts do too.  I got a lot of mileage out of game I found somewhere that involves getting lots of different size and shape balls, splitting into teams on opposing sides of a field and telling them they want to throw all the balls into the other team's area. Scoring is 1 point for every ball your opponent has and -3 points if they throw a ball out of bounds on purpose.  Next round, you can only throw with 2 hands at the same time, next round you can only throw through a circle your teammate makes over their head with their arms, next round you can only throw while being held above ground by a teammate.  The best one was that you had to spin around 4 times before you could throw a ball.

• Like 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This discussion is the cart before the horse. What is the purpose of scouting? What is the purpose of the activities? I learned as I gained experience to measure if each activities was providing a pos

Any of the methods, if done right, are fine. The problem is there are so many that everyone gets lost in the weeds and can't see the forest. I'd replace woodbadge with a 5 day class on creating f

My son just asked his best friend why he dropped out of scouting (from another troop).  He said Boy Scouts is 10 hours of boring meetings for every weekend of camping.   He can just go camping without

4 hours ago, yknot said:

They do love food but a lot of places will not allow you to have food. We can't have food items in any of our meeting locations -- we use a couple churches and a couple schools -- except a park campfire ring. Also, trying to do snacks in units with a lot of food issues is getting difficult. 

Yeah, we have multiple Scouts with nut allergies, one with a shellfish allergy, and even one allergic to...get this...bananas, strawberries and citrus fruits!  Poor kid 🙁

2 hours ago, MattR said:

Any of the methods, if done right, are fine. The problem is there are so many that everyone gets lost in the weeds and can't see the forest.

I'd replace woodbadge with a 5 day class on creating fun games with a purpose. It's not even my idea. It's how Green Bar Bill did it. It's why I insisted on games at meetings and why our camporees were popular. Creating good games is not a difficult idea but it's hard to do and requires a lot of useful skills and imagination.

Well said.

I remember back when this forum was the go-to place to learn more games. The Patrol Method and Open Discussion areas usually had at least 3 subjects going on at the same time discussing such ideas. Ah....the good oh days when 800 scouters were logged in.

Barry

I disagree with de-prioritizing Adult Association. The problem isn't the method. The problem is most adults don't understand it, and it isn't done properly (as is true with most of the methods). To wit, the complaints of adults taking over NSPs is NOT adult association. Just having adults present or hovering is NOT   adult association. An overbearing SM leading everything and/or telling scouts how to do everything is NOT adult association.

Adult Association is adults of high moral caliber exhibiting the Oath and Law through words and deeds. Adult Association is the regular SM conferences which mentor scouts and help them grow. Adult Association is an expert in his field/hobby sharing his/her passion with scouts as a mB counselor. Adult Association is when a scout looks at an adult and says to themselves, "I want to be like him (or her)."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, elitts said:

next round you can only throw through a circle your teammate makes over their head with their arms,

Um, if I make a loop over my head with my arms then my face is right in the middle, kind of like a bullseye. I sure wouldn't want anyone trying to throw anything through that.

But I get your point. Just thought I'd point out the need for safety checks on ideas. ;)

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, MattR said:

Um, if I make a loop over my head with my arms then my face is right in the middle, kind of like a bullseye. I sure wouldn't want anyone trying to throw anything through that.

But I get your point. Just thought I'd point out the need for safety checks on ideas. ;)

It's their own team mate.  So they stand right behind them and throw through the opening.  Mostly it forces them to go slower and work together.  But yeah, throwing from a distance would be bad.

Plus the game is played with lightish balls.  Wiffle balls, foam balls, inflatable balls, thin rubber balls etc.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, Eagle1993 said:

In this Troop they are.  They have the SPL, ASPL at the head table.  Patrols then site at tables.  Then they work on advancement at their tables from planning outings to advancement.  

I think BSA needs to relook at the program given what youth need today.  That is tough as it varies a lot by income and location.  However, if I were to simplify BSA methods I would:

Prioritize

#1 Outdoors - I think outdoors makes BSA a bit unique and can be fun.  Downside is that some scouts more focused on STEM (which are a lot) would likely drop.

#2 Patrols - Again, unique to BSA and a key aspect of following methods.

#3 Ideals - Scout Oath & Law is key and should be taught and practiced by all.  

#4 Leadership - We need leaders in our country ... I see far too many willing to follow and not lead.  BSA has a great history in developing leaders.

It typically isn't hard to say what is important.  What is hard is to say what one would focus less on.  So, I think BSA should De-prioritize:

De-Prioritize 

#1 Uniform - Honestly, I would be fine if we just went to a neckerchief.  Show up in what is appropriate.  A suit for a formal occasion.  Work shirt and jeans.  Etc.  Just have that neckerchief and lets go!

#2 Advancement - Eliminate all ranks except Eagle.  Less focus on Eagle as closing out a checklist of activities vs an indication of top scouts.  Let Scoutmasters decide who their Eagle scouts are based upon Scout's accomplishments over time.  Other ranks ... end.  You learn scouting skills, but no need to advertise a rank.  Scout leaders can assign tasks & roles based on your skill.  Merit badges are fine, but reduced focus. 

#3 Adult Association - I think we actually have too much adult association right now.  Yes, keep scoutmaster conferences and adults involved in the program.  However, if we make the mistake ... make it with less adult association as many kids today have too much (helicopter parents, etc.).

#4 Personal Growth - I think this will happen anyway.  

I heavily disagree with the no uniform and the no rank.

I would agree that reducing the uniform requirements is appropriate due to costs. Reducing down to a shirt requirement might be best, the shirt tells a story, and signals to others what can be expected of a Scout, and where they are in the journey. Rank is a key part of that story when Scouts see each others shirts. It helps Scouts discern who should get elected SPL, it helps identify people on a glance that can help them learn rank appropriate skills, it helps Scouters gauge where a Scout is on the journey and if they should be ready more responsibility.

These things are also teaching the Scouts how society works. There is a pecking order, most of the time it is based on experience, knowledge, and some sort of tenure. The rank system combined with the patrol method help Scouts learn how to find mentors, and develop drive to grow much in the same way they will need to find mentors and develop drive to grow when they enter an adult profession (Where what a person wears, and the fancy things on an office wall send many signals and tell a story).