Council Mergers and Units with the Same Number

So I found out that in my council will be having a meeting in January to discuss council mergers. My question is simple: What happens to units that have the same number?

I ask because my troop will be celebrating 100 years next month. Long history that I would not like to lose.

Isn't that partially why on the backend most units have 4 digits even as we only use at most 3 digits? ie troop 123 and troop 123, unless very close geographically, can become troop 1123 and troop 2123 for paperwork purposes, but no one notices otherwise.

• Upvote 3

The first digit of 4 digit number use to designate Troop, Ship, Pack, and Crew. 0 was troops, 2 Ships, 3 packs, and I do not remember Crews. Posts also had their own number, but I have not been active on that side and do not know if that is the case with Learning for Life.

I know for a fact that there will be opposition among my committee over changing the number. We no longer have a pack, and a local pack was searching for a home. I was all for the pack keeping the number. Committee was opposed. If they came to our CO, they would need to change their number.

1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Do any legacy units use their original numbers? 

Yes.  Many of us still went by XXX.  It's that our registration and all documentation became #XXX.  

Scouts learned quickly to deal with it.  Over time, everyone just called it #XXX.   ... It's really a transitional issue.  Scouts and parents age out.   Very quickly scouts are asking why we just don't use our full number #XXX.  In fact, most scouts do use #XXX as it was a ten year ago change and all their advancement cards (MB, rank) and their hand book says #XXX.

Edited by fred8033