Summer Camps and the Coronavirus

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son's troop is not in any of those counties, and they are heading to a Circle Ten summer camp, so even if you interpret "local" to mean a council, they are not trying to accomplish that. I thi

I don't understand your logic. Camp is not the same as quarantine. Not everyone will get the virus within the first day or so. With 250 people, one infected person and a 33% increase daily, after 14 d

If a family (10 members or less) can safely camp and hike, so can a patrol of similar size taking the same precautions.  If we had say an Assistant Chief Scout Executive - National Director of Outdoor

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Jackdaws said:

Atlanta area council sent out a survey earlier.   Its where we are supposed to go.  Not a good sign.  

Got that as well.  We're planning on Woodruff, but not until later in July.  So that that gets called off, there's not really any pushing it back to later in the summer.

4 minutes ago, Jackdaws said:

Atlanta area council sent out a survey earlier.   Its where we are supposed to go.  Not a good sign.  

They (Atlanta area council) seem to be looking to modify the program, which is why one would go to camp, so agree not a good sign.  The ones the Scouts want are aquatics, COPE, shooting and field sports, and rafting trips.  Take away or limit those, it's a challenge

First question was very revealing, what would you do if camp is cancelled or delayed.....

Edited by Jameson76
  • Like 1

Looks like Sea Base is planning to be active in June.  Given this, I expect many councils will continue to plan to hold summer camps, unless states prevent them.  I was thinking there would be a lot of cancellations if HA bases close, but as they are remaining open, it will encourage councils to also find a way forward.

In the end, it will really depend on the CDC and state health departments … they will have the final say.

1 minute ago, Eagle1993 said:

Looks like Sea Base is planning to be active in June.  Given this, I expect many councils will continue to plan to hold summer camps, unless states prevent them.  I was thinking there would be a lot of cancellations if HA bases close, but as they are remaining open, it will encourage councils to also find a way forward.

In the end, it will really depend on the CDC and state health departments … they will have the final say.

Yes.  We  (were) early June at Sea Base, so it looks like we'll be rescheduling.  Sigh.

5/1/20:

Mass is now requiring masks be worn in public where 6ft social distancing cannot be maintained.

NH is opening campgrounds but only if guidelines below are followed and only for members or NH residents.  The guidelines has the ominous title Stay at Home 2.0 Public and Private Campgrounds:

https://www.governor.nh.gov/news-media/stay-at-home/documents/20200105-campgrounds.pdf

On 4/14/2020 at 12:24 PM, le Voyageur said:

Appears that NCS is now canceling a number of classes which will impact all council camps.....

Update:

For 2020 the remaining Camp Director and Program Director trainings will be held in an ONLINE format ONLY - virtual 3-day training course 

https://www.scouting.org/outdoor-programs/trail-to-adventure/ncs-is-cancelled-now-what/

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Wonder if I should take the course, just for the cert?

At the CSDC level, the online cert is good for one year only. 

edit: oh click the link. 3 year cert for resident camp stuff. That’s potentially useful. 

Edited by malraux

Atlanta Area Council has cancelled first two weeks of summer camp (Week 1 - 5/30 and Week 2 - 6/7).  This is for both Woodruff and Bert Adams.

They will update 30 days out, so I guess 5/14 for week 3 which is scheduled to start 6/14.

9 hours ago, Jameson76 said:

Atlanta Area Council has cancelled first two weeks of summer camp (Week 1 - 5/30 and Week 2 - 6/7).  This is for both Woodruff and Bert Adams.

They will update 30 days out, so I guess 5/14 for week 3 which is scheduled to start 6/14.

Our troop has made the decision to cancel for week 4  at Bert Adams.  We have a couple high risk scouts and couple adult's with travel bans.   Really hope they give us a full refund.