Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
69RoadRunner

Merit Badge Counselor Registration Renewal

Recommended Posts

My MB counselor registration expires soon.  Do I have to fill out a complete application app like they have no idea who I am or is there a simpler way?

BSA really needs to simplify things like this.  If you have my info and there's no change, all you need is my BSA ID, signature, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk to your DE. Each council does this differently. For ours, the commissioners call you, and you just have to renew youth protection. Even if you've done it for another position, you might have to fill that background check release form (the one they rolled out last year) again. It all depends on how the registrar organizes the council's files.

Then, once you've jumped through the hoops, log in to Scoutbook periodically and see if your name comes up under the appropriate MBs. Better yet, have your ASMs log in and be sure they can find you. Again, that link depends on the registrar, and if you've got one who's slow on the uptake or simply overwhelmed, the connection between your member id and the badges you counsel might not be made.

In spite of the hassels, the registration requirements for MBCs have really helped provide our youth with up-to-date lists. I imagine the embarrassment of a scout calling a counselor, getting the spouse or other loved one, and finding out he/she died four years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was disappointed when I looked in to Scoutbook and checked to see if I showed up as MBC for certain badges.  

I do....but somehow, Scoutbook says I'm "willing to work with any scout in my district".

That's no really correct.

On the MBC registration form, I actually checked the box saying I would work with ANY scout. 

To me, "any"  means "any".  As in, scouts in other districts, scouts in other councils, scouts who are male, scouts who are female, scouts who are christian, scouts who are buddhist, scouts who are gay, scouts who have disabilities, even scouts who are downright ugly.....ANY scout. 

I'm a scouter because I believe in helping youth grow: I'd have to be a pretty big dirtbag if I said "No" to any scout who asked for my help...

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mrkstvns  Have you looked to see if you can change your listing preference in Scoutbook?  You should be able to get there by going to:  My Account -> My Positions.  Click on "Merit Badge Counselor" and you should be able to change your listing preference.  However, if you can't change it, you might have to contact your Council Admin for Scoutbook and ask them to change it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

I'm a scouter because I believe in helping youth grow: I'd have to be a pretty big dirtbag if I said "No" to any scout who asked for my help...

So, you're saying that every scouter who chooses the troop-only option is a dirtbag?

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does scoutbook show the merit badge counselors.  I know people that are merit badge counselors but they don't show up when I search for them in Scoutbook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

How does scoutbook show the merit badge counselors.  I know people that are merit badge counselors but they don't show up when I search for them in Scoutbook.


It depends on whether or not your council has uploaded its MBC list to Scoutbook.  If the council has not uploaded the list, then units can add MBCs like they add other unit leaders (ASMs, Committee Member, Unit Scouter Reserve, etc.).  Technically, MBC is not a unit-level position, but for councils that have not yet added their MBC list, then MBCs have to be attached to a unit in Scoutbook in order to show up.  Units should only add MBCs if they know that they are approved.

Edited by Thunderbird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:

@mrkstvns  Have you looked to see if you can change your listing preference in Scoutbook?  You should be able to get there by going to:  My Account -> My Positions.  Click on "Merit Badge Counselor" and you should be able to change your listing preference.  However, if you can't change it, you might have to contact your Council Admin for Scoutbook and ask them to change it for you.

Our troop currently uses Troopmaster, not Scoutbook, but I'm still good there.  my.scouting is where I checked my account for my BSA ID to register for Sea Base today.  On the account page, it shows that my MB counselor registration expires at the end of the month.

I mentioned it to our CM.  She's going to check on what's needed for me.

I think it's dumb that I have to fill out essentially the same form for MB counselor that I did to be scoutmaster.  I get keeping the background check and YPT current, but everyone hates forms and repeating info they already have should be eliminated.  I go through much of this every school year with the kids.  Some of the forms finally come pre-filled with some of their info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Our troop currently uses Troopmaster, not Scoutbook, but I'm still good there.  my.scouting is where I checked my account for my BSA ID to register for Sea Base today.  On the account page, it shows that my MB counselor registration expires at the end of the month.

I mentioned it to our CM.  She's going to check on what's needed for me.

I think it's dumb that I have to fill out essentially the same form for MB counselor that I did to be scoutmaster.  I get keeping the background check and YPT current, but everyone hates forms and repeating info they already have should be eliminated.  I go through much of this every school year with the kids.  Some of the forms finally come pre-filled with some of their info.


I hear you.  My understanding is that you have to fill out a separate form, because it's a separate position and because it's approved by different people.  The Chartered Org. Rep. approves Scoutmasters, but someone at the district / council level (usually District / Council Advancement Chair or District Executive) approves merit badge counselors.

As for renewals, each council seems to do its own thing.  Some councils will automatically renew MBCs as long as YPT is current (and the new disclosure and authorization form is on file).  Some councils want an updated list of merit badges each year.  Other councils might want something else as some kind of affirmation from the MBC that he or she wants to continue counseling.  I would recommend asking your council what they want.

Is your council requiring a BSA adult application each year?  That seems a bit overkill, IMO.

Edited by Thunderbird
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:


I hear you.  My understanding is that you have to fill out a separate form, because it's a separate position and because it's approved by different people.  The Chartered Org. Rep. approves Scoutmasters, but someone at the district / council level approves merit badge counselors.

As for renewals, each council seems to do its own thing.  Some councils will automatically renew MBCs as long as YPT is current (and the new disclosure and authorization form is on file).  Some councils want an updated list of merit badges each year.  Other councils might want something else as some kind of affirmation from the MBC that he or she wants to continue counseling.  I would recommend asking your council what they want.

Is your council requiring a BSA adult application each year?  That seems a bit overkill, IMO.

They just want the money each year for the adults already registered.  And of course YPT must stay current.  I've got 3 more months until that is due.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 69RoadRunner said:

They just want the money each year for the adults already registered.  And of course YPT must stay current.  I've got 3 more months until that is due. 


But MBC is a free (no fee) position?  :confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Thunderbird said:


But MBC is a free (no fee) position?  :confused:

Right, I'm referring to the adult leader fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

I was disappointed when I looked in to Scoutbook and checked to see if I showed up as MBC for certain badges.  

I do....but somehow, Scoutbook says I'm "willing to work with any scout in my district".

... I'm a scouter because I believe in helping youth grow: I'd have to be a pretty big dirtbag if I said "No" to any scout who asked for my help...

ScoutBook does not recognize MBC's by district. It asks a search radius. It's not clear to me if it limits us to our council.

Just say "yes", don't worry about what scoutbook does and continue on as a small dirtbag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

I'd have to be a pretty big dirtbag if I said "No" to any scout who asked for my help...

That's pretty harsh.  There are a myriad of reasons you may only work within your unit.  Scheduling of time, ease of communications, streamlined follow-up just to name a few.  I might work with some other Scouts, but it does not always work to the schedule.

I did get contacted by a Scout from another unit, told him we could meet on Monday night prior to my units meeting at our CO.  Due to traffic etc he could not.  He could meet me on the weekend, but then, as I did not know him and the time was offset, there is the 2 deep leader and YPT issue, plus I had things other than Scouting to do, so I had to decline.

Am I a "dirtbag" because of that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×