nkaye

Merit Badge / Advancement tracking app?

What is the best app for my Scout to track everything??? I feel like we’ve had a couple good ones over the years and then at some point it’s recommended we switch to something else. We are trying to reach Eagle sooner than later and the only thing holding my ADD kid back is tracking/organization and he gets overwhelmed I would love to hear what others are using.  Personal use. Not troop... Thank you!!

I’m sure this is out there somewhere but I didn’t find anything recent after a couple searches. 

We like Scoutbook, because it is very visual.  Scouts can use it to keep track of merit badge and rank requirements.  The main thing is that you need to be connected to your Scout in Scoutbook.  However, if your troop is using it, then it wouldn't be strictly personal use.

... Personal use.  Not troop   ...

My absolute first choice ... his paper scoutbook.  Put clips or tabs on the key pages were data is recorded.  ... Get a zippered cover so he can keep blue card and other paper records if he needs them.

My electronic choice is scoutbook.  They used to have an individual account if  your troop doesn't use it.  If they do, ask for your login as a parent.  Then, connect your scout to it.  It has good reports and good tracking.  And, it's BSA's official records.

Edited by fred8033

Scout Handbook for sure. I was (am) ADD before it was a diagnosis. The handbook puts the entire rank on 1 or 2 pages. My SM at each conference would ask me about my goals and we would write expected dates at the top and in margins of the next rank. For example, during 1st class SM confeence we would write at the top of Star page, "goal to achieve around [date]." And similar for mBs. 

• Upvote 2

Scout handbook. And a small box for blue cards.

As a backup, save pictures of the signed handbook pages and blue cards to a cloud drive that the scout shares with his parents.

If he is still having a problem seeing the forest for the trees, try a white board with "This month I am working on ..." He would then fill in his short term goals.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, qwazse said:

Scout handbook. And a small box for blue cards.

As a backup, save pictures of the signed handbook pages and blue cards to a cloud drive that the scout shares with his parents.

Great advice on backups (take a picture or scan).  Scout handbooks and blue cards get lost or damaged.
I have also seen some Scouts put merit badges worksheets and blue cards in a 3-ring binder.  Then they have everything that they are working on all together.

7 hours ago, qwazse said:

If he is still having a problem seeing the forest for the trees, try a white board with "This month I am working on ..." He would then fill in his short term goals. 

My son has ADHD, and this sounds similar to a Kanban board organizational strategy that was recommended to him.  There are different ways to do it, but one way is to use a white board, divide it up into thirds.  Label one third "To Do", another third "Doing", and the final third "Done".  Then use sticky notes to post short term goals under the categories.  Maybe the Scout is working on the Personal Fitness merit badge and wants to start working on Citizenship in the Nation next.  The Scout could put Personal Fitness on a sticky note under "Doing" and Citizenship in the Nation under "To Do".  That type of thing.

• Thanks 1