Blindfold Your Scouts and Drop Them off In the Middle of Nowhere

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, a lot to unpack there.  So, here goes: 1. Is there a market for a youth serving organization to place kids outdoors without supervision?:  First of all, this is a question a follower asks, n

When I was a scout, the scouts in our troop who attended the OA Ordeal weekend came back a different more mature person. The requirements of that Ordeal are considered hazing today.  It seems tod

You don't really need to give them a compass and map. Just make the destination a video game arcade and let their instincts take over. 

Oh, we do that. Blindfold drop. Standard Explorer Scout activity here in the UK. Well, we might well make sure they know where they are, and where they're going, and what route they plan to take, but more or less, we do that.

Meet at the scout hut. Give them a map, compass, first aid kit, whistle, load them in the car, put blindfolds on them, drive randomly to a location we've planned, stop, they work out where they are, we wave them off, we drive to the finish, we have a cup of tea.

I mean, we don't have wolves and bears and snakes that kill you, nor millions of acres of not very much, so...

9 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Sadly people would say it is hazing. Closest thing on this side of the pond was Snipe Hunting. And it is banned.

It's not an initiation, or not as we do it, just a regular part of our programme.

1 minute ago, ianwilkins said:

It's not an initiation, or not as we do it, just a regular part of our programme.

It was a regular part of our program too. usually after several months in the troop, when we knew they could take care of themselves, and at summer camp. in a controlled environment.

2 hours ago, David CO said:

You don't really need to give them a compass and map. Just make the destination a video game arcade and let their instincts take over. 

There's cake five miles that-a-way...[points vaguely]

Actually,  agree with the don't try this.   If you do this as part of the BSA as some have mentioned you would be leaving kids without Two Deep Leadership, a core part of Scouting's Barriers to Abuse.  

• Sad 1

When I was a scout, the scouts in our troop who attended the OA Ordeal weekend came back a different more mature person. The requirements of that Ordeal are considered hazing today. 

It seems today's culture feels that growth gained from enduring the strain of designed purposeful circumstances is not considered healthy. 

Barry

• Upvote 4
1 minute ago, Eagledad said:

When I was a scout, the scouts in our troop who attended the OA Ordeal weekend came back a different more mature person. The requirements of that Ordeal are considered hazing today. 

It seems today's culture feels that growth gained from enduring the strain of designed purposeful circumstances is not considered healthy. 

A challenge is always good for character building.  It's the only way to gain useful experience.

In my opinion, denying kids the chance to actually do something outside their comfort zone ensures they will be ill-equipped to compete in the real world as functioning adults.

That woman who wrote the book about  "Free Range Kids" is really on to something...  

2 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

That woman who wrote the book about  "Free Range Kids" is really on to something...  

Yes, but I think the post by Richardb "you would be leaving kids without Two Deep Leadership, a core part of Scouting's Barriers to Abuse" represents why the culture won't allow her to be embraced.

I understand why the BSA has new YP policies, but I wonder if they see the irony.

Barry 

35 minutes ago, RichardB said:

Actually,  agree with the don't try this.   If you do this as part of the BSA as some have mentioned you would be leaving kids without Two Deep Leadership, a core part of Scouting's Barriers to Abuse.  

Two-Deep is required at the activity. It doesn't mean 2 adult Scouters must be within arm's-reach at all times.  I would see nothing wrong with dropping qualified and competent Scouts at a location a few km away from home base. Of course I'd ensure they were prepared, and had communication devices.  Don't really see much difference between this and sending Scouts off to MB classes at summer camp while Scouters stay back at camp.

Or if we must be overly protective, who's to say the Scouters couldn't just follow along, not interacting or helping.

• Upvote 3
44 minutes ago, RichardB said:

I'd say, "Don't try this as part of an official BSA activity, but DO try it (and challenging activities like it) independently, outside of scouting."

If you could control yourself and another leader (have them there for the YPT requirements) but just follow the scouts (from the rear and far enough back) and just let them make all the steps.  If they get you lost, go with it.

Just because an adult is present, doesn't take away from the experience.  They will try to get answers and directions out of you, but after enough shrugs and blank stares, they will realize they are on their own.

• Upvote 2