What Summertime Activities Does Your Pack Do?

Do y'all participate in BSA's Summertime Activity awards program?  

With or without the incentive of an extra pin to tack onto your cub's uniform, getting out and doing things together as a den or a pack can be a heck of a lot of fun!  I know some units consider summer to be an "off" season, but a strong unit won't sit idle for 3 months. That's just too long to not hang out with your friends!

The highlight of my summers growing up in Northern Virginia was our annual pack picnics in Bull Run Park. 

Just curious about what kinds of summer pack memories you are creating for your kids....

Ideas??

38 minutes ago, CubScoutIdeas said:

I have a post on my blog with 75 ideas. Hope it’s helpful!

https://cubscoutideas.com/6276/75-pack-activities-for-summertime-pack-award/

Wow!  You sure put a lot of thought into that post, and you have some excellent ideas!  

A couple thoughts on a few of your ideas....

Attend minor league baseball --- yes, definitely a lot of fun for kids, and a whole lot more family oriented (and affordable) than big league games.  I'd just like to add that many teams have specific "Scout Nights" when your kids might be able to sleep out on the field after the game, run bases, or play catch with a player....

Water balloon baseball --- That sounds TOO fun for words!  I might change it up to be "Water Balloon Tennis" simply because tennis rackets have more surface area than baseball bats letting the little guys more easily hit the balloon.

Theatre night --- Excellent idea!  A lot of cities also do free outdoor concerts or theatre during the summer, so this might be cheaper than expected.

Outdoor movies ---- Yes.  If you don't want to do this yourself, there might be drive-in movies within a reasonable distance. I live in Houston and there is one to the northwest of the city, always a double feature and my kids love bringing friends and lying out in the bed of my pickup truck with the tailgate down and sleeping bags and pillows spread out in the bed.

Thanks for all the great tips!  (Love your other blog posts too....)

No longer with a pack, but our pack would try to plan activities that could also count towards the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award.  Also, we would try to schedule a couple activities each month, so that families could attend at least one of them (due to summer vacations, etc.).

-Nature hike + service project
-Pack overnight campout
-Geocaching
-Scout night at a local minor league baseball game
-Cubmobile

On 6/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, Thunderbird said:

...Also, we would try to schedule a couple activities each month, so that families could attend at least one of them (due to summer vacations, etc.).

-Nature hike + service project
-Pack overnight campout
-Geocaching
-Scout night at a local minor league baseball game
-Cubmobile

Scheduling at least 2 activities per summer month is a really good idea....let's all the families have a chance to take part in something.

When my son was a cub, his pack reserved a neighborhood pool one evening during the week and had a "pack swim".  It was a hit with the boys and easy for the parents to support. Win-win.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As a pack we try to have our regular monthly pack meetings throughout the season, and by keeping our activities routine it makes it easier to keep them on people's dockets since they know about them more than half a year in advance:

In July we have our Raingutter Regatta outdoors in the shade; after the racing the boys spend the rest of the evening enjoying a free-for-all with their boats on the waterways. 

In August we have our Bear Carnival (regardless of its emeritus status as a required adventure).

In September (mind you, school starts and ends much later here in SoCal due to our unique weather) we have an outdoor activity with cooking over fires, tent erecting, nature walks, et cetera

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Our Council has "Resident Camp" at our Council Camp in Hardy Arkansas Camp KiaKima (best camp ever lol) Cub from Wolves up to Web II Stay 3 days at camp.  If you go to that it counts for June, We have a Pack Meeting in June where we will launch rockets or well do Raingutter Regatta. July we have either / or (only attend 1) a Red Birds Baseball game or our Pack Meetings Ice Cream Social.  In August we have a car wash Fundraiser and or Fishing Rodeo.  That's what we do, if you cant make one then make the other. 

• 2 weeks later...