Can Scouts use campers?

They can use whatever they want.

The question is should they? if they do should it be counted towards camping nights? (and I am sure there are a few more questions).

I would say if they are going to be 3 days in a state park, they should pitch tents unless there are extenuating circumstances as to why not. I would add, that I would not count that towards camping nights.

I can see some situations where I would be in favor of a camper. For example, a group traveling across country to Philmont. If they are pushing very long days driving in order to get there, I can see a camper (we used gyms from hosting troops.) It makes more sense logistically. But not for an extended stay in the a State Park

Edited by HelpfulTracks
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SpEdScouter said:

Just like the title says, we are going to be staying for 3 days in a state park. Can we stay in a camper like a pop up instead of using tents?

Is it a cool Urban Assault Vehicle ??  That would be really cool

Related image

• Haha 2
17 hours ago, SpEdScouter said:

Just like the title says, we are going to be staying for 3 days in a state park. Can we stay in a camper like a pop up instead of using tents?

Sure, but in general, it shouldn't count as camping for Camping Merit Badge or for T-2-1 requirements.  Special needs scouts are a different issue.  

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, .40AET said:

So we're going to Checzoslovakia?

I wish we could quote the upvote/reactions, lol.

@ItsBrian You gave the post above a confused vote, @.40AET is referencing an old 1981 movie called Stripes. The vehicle in the photo posted by @Jameson76 is the fictitious "Urban Assault Vehicle" from that movie that John Winger (Bill Murray) commandeered to for a joy ride, and ends up Czechoslovakia to save his platoon mates, as well as Sgt Hulka, aka the Big Toe.

It's a reference us old farts quickly recognize. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

the fictitious "Urban Assault Vehicle"

Nothing  fictitious about the EM-50. Keep one in the garage, lousy on city mileage though.  Picked it up in a surplus deal during one of the drawdowns.  Hard part is mixing my own fuel for the flamethrower.  Neighbor kids love it, keep getting letters from the HOA however

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, SpEdScouter said:

I would imagine that the use of a camper is similar to the use of a cabin. There'd likely have to be a clear adults area and a clear kids area, with all the requisite YPT considerations thrown in. As pointed out, it would not count toward OA or Camping MB or TFC.

• Upvote 1

well I see that the OP has not chimed back in.....

It could be that they were talking about cub scouts and "family camping"

....er.... does that family camping also now apply to Boy Scouts too?

When my son and I were in the pack, the first few years before i got heavily involved, there was a rather large cadre of families with RV's.  Mostly travel trailers, a huge 5th wheel or two, and a few motor homes as I recall.  We had a pop-up tent trailer, the only one in the group.  I guess on an average of about twice a year the pack would reserve a bunch of sites in a state park, with one site designated at the pack site, where the pack's trailer would be parked, along with a huge trailer smoker grille.  Some folks tented to, and everyone would gather around the pack's huge coffee kettle and the grille. 

remembering I just shake my head.... it was good times...but at the same time there was so much in the way of clique groups and silly adult stuff....grill kings and the like.  The boys had fun though....little sisters too...running around through the woods and such, lord of the flies style.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:13 AM, perdidochas said:

Sure, but in general, it shouldn't count as camping for Camping Merit Badge or for T-2-1 requirements.  

Well...unless the scouts fell trees and build the cabin, that would count I would assume???

Well it was something I have been thinking about, since the scout troops already have tents (and I've seen some pretty great ones) why cant we step it up a bit and stay in a pop up? Plus the scouts already can travel on buses and stay in hotels. Especially when the weather is really bad and having an enclosed area to cook and bringing your bathroom along when the campgrounds toilets are far away and nasty. I'm not talking those big class C motorhomes. Just maybe a popup or a basic trailer.

And really when it comes down to it, most of scout "camping" is really car camping anyways.