Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just took the new YPT out of curiousity, not because mine was going to expire, but I must say - I appreciate the tone of the new modules, even if they are a bit heavy handed. As a Child Development Professional, I am grateful they are committing themselves to keeping their information updated and the leadership informed. It's longer than the old one, but I am of the mind that when it comes to the safety of young people, any measure of my time is worth the effort.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 7:26 AM, Chisos said:

This comes from the new policy that adults attending events over 72 hrs in duration have to be registered leaders (so they would have the background check).  I've seen this in a couple of leader guides for this summer's summer camp season.  New policy is in effect June 1 (so, starting this summer camp season).

If an adult is registered as a meritbadge counselor and takes that new YP are they good to attend summer camp with the Troop or do they need to register for a position within the Troop?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, my_three_sons said:

If an adult is registered as a meritbadge counselor and takes that new YP are they good to attend summer camp with the Troop or do they need to register for a position within the Troop?

That’s actually interesting. I would say since a MBC has to send a adult application that they are a “registered leader” but I would contact the summer camp or your council.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, my_three_sons said:

If an adult is registered as a meritbadge counselor and takes that new YP are they good to attend summer camp with the Troop or do they need to register for a position within the Troop?

I don't know.  If you find an answer of yes somewhere, I'd be sure it's in writing and acceptable to the camp your attending.

I will be bringing a copy of our roster from ScoutNET, as well as YPT certifications for all adults to summer camp, so there's no issue.

I saw the following in the leader guide for Camp Daniel Boone.  It's not where we're going this year, but could be typical of what camps will expect:

Quote

To document this requirement has been met, please bring a copy of your official unit ROSTER with names of ALL ADULT CAMP ATTENDEES clearly identified.  This can no longer be a simple written list of camp attendees, it must be the official unit roster.

I'm assuming "official unit roster" is the one you can get from ScoutNET via Internet Advancement, or from your council registrar.

A MBC wouldn't be on your unit roster since MBC is a district position.

I'd assume if you had an adult registered with a different unit also going with you, you'd need a copy of their roster as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised at the camp directors response I was expecting "No, please submit your $33" but here is his response:

"I would say that yes, it does meet the new rule.  The reason for the change was to ensure the CBC and YPT are completed and a Merit Badge Counselor application will check those boxes.  At Camp this summer we are planning to accept registered Merit Badge Counselors to satisfy the requirement. "

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, my_three_sons said:

I was surprised at the camp directors response I was expecting "No, please submit your $33" but here is his response:

"I would say that yes, it does meet the new rule.  The reason for the change was to ensure the CBC and YPT are completed and a Merit Badge Counselor application will check those boxes.  At Camp this summer we are planning to accept registered Merit Badge Counselors to satisfy the requirement. "

What does CBC mean?

Edited by ItsBrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a gray, gloomy rainy day here.  Perfect to do the new YPT.  Not bad.  Took an hour and fifteen minutes, but could they have found any more boring and dry professionals to do the video sections?  I was yawning throughout the presentation!

 

Dale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, eagle90 said:

It's a gray, gloomy rainy day here.  Perfect to do the new YPT.  Not bad.  Took an hour and fifteen minutes, but could they have found any more boring and dry professionals to do the video sections?  I was yawning throughout the presentation!

 

Dale

I agree. I’m a youth and I took it about a month ago because I knew I wasn’t going to have time if I needed the updated one for my summer job. 

It was really boring at times, especially when it was mostly the same professionals over and over again. I wish they included more real situations (ex: parents of victims, or a re-enactment of a actual case) and situations that would actually happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

 

It was really boring at times, especially when it was mostly the same professionals over and over again. I wish they included more real situations (ex: parents of victims, or a re-enactment of a actual case) and situations that would actually happen. 

That's one thing the old yo1 YPT had over the new one IMO. As cheesy as they were, I liked that they included scouting specific scenarios such as a leader walking off with a scout, or the scout taking pictures by the showerhouse. Plus in the old one they reiterated Two-deep in almost every training module, which I think they only mentioned once in the new YPT2.

 

Overall, I think YPT2 looks prettier and has more in depth information about Child Abuse in general, but I think its a less effective training tool for Leaders

Edited by carebear3895
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carebear3895 said:

That's one thing the old yo1 YPT had over the new one IMO. As cheesy as they were, I liked that they included scouting specific scenarios such as a leader walking off with a scout, or the scout taking pictures by the showerhouse. Plus in the old one they reiterated Two-deep in almost every training module, which I think they only mentioned once in the new YPT2.

 

Overall, I think YPT2 looks prettier and has more in depth information about Child Abuse in general, but I think its a less effective training tool for Leaders

Yeah every-time we got a couple boys walking off to the showerhouse at Camp I get a visual memory of that training. I may have even said "no pictures in the bath house!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On-line version needs to be scrapped.  Instructions from nice lady at National (after 13 minute wait) began with instruction NOT to select on-line guide  to taking the training as it takes one in a circle.  😲  Had to reset entry page x 3 before it would work  Links are not identified/marked - you just have to know to click on certain text.  At one point, select text "position specific training" to get along towards YPT. 

Many sincere apologies from nice lady.  "Problems" are  "recognized," but no corrections planned yet.

Good thing we have an excess of adult help.  😉

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"adults accompanying a unit seventy-two+ ... non-consecutive hours" must be registered Scouters.  😍 (On a given outing?  In a year? Two?)

 

ANSWER NUMBER GUY AT NATIONAL FEELS THE RULE IS NOT AS STATED IN TRAINING BUT IS NOT SURE WHAT THE 72+ HOURS RULES IS.  SUGGESTS I SEND AN EMAIL.

 

Oh for mere competency!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turns out they meant 72 hours of any given "activity."  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×