When is it OK for an ASM to raise their voice and yell at a Scout?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow and I thought my generation was needlessly snarky. Look it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know you don't scream at or demean anyone in front of others. Especially other kids. Would you like to

In my time in Scouting, I've really only raised my voice and yelled at one Scout - but it wasn't in anger.   This 11-year-old Scout was standing by the flagpole during a thunderstorm.

And it is clear who's really in charge, running the show.  When are the adults going to learn that if one stays out of it, they never get caught holding the bag.    The more the adults get in there an

Well, it is Friday afternoon at summer camp so people are tired of a week with each other. We don't know what the whole week was like or generally what the relationships are between the various characters. So maybe asking whether it's okay isn't as appropriate as asking whether it's likely and what should happen afterward. I mean, from the face of it it sounds a bit unreasonable but who's always reasonable? Maybe the best scenario is that this is an opportunity for a scout to see a bit of reality after he graduates into the real world.

Another outcome might be for the three ASM's to simply take their kids out of scouting and join the local sports programs, where their time and efforts will be better appreciated.

Often kids will use the phrase "yelled at" for a wide range of actions. Few involve actually "yelling" or even a raised voice. Of course, sometimes real yelling does occur. Not having been witness to the OPs incident I do not know if actual yelling occurred, or the group was chastised, or... But my experience tells me to ask the kids more clarifying questions to discern what he meant by "yelled at". More often than not, there was no yelling, not even a raised voice. Usually a stern statement of expectations.

:)  If this is a boy led operation, why is any adult involved in the process at all?  If anyone should be expressing any concern, it should be the PL of the boys doing MB homework.  Otherwise, it's no one else's issue to be involved with.  If the adults allowed the boys to run a scout troop as it should be run, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Hey @@qwazse, are you currently on the southern coast of Spain? If not then we are not one and the same ;)

Much philosophy goes here but I'll leave that for another time. This place is an adventure.

No, but at the time you posted, I was treating the family to dinner at an Argentine steakhouse. The menu - scribbled on a wall size chalk board - was an adventure.

Great minds?

No, but at the time you posted, I was treating the family to dinner at an Argentine steakhouse. The menu - scribbled on a wall size chalk board - was an adventure.

Great minds?

Must be, we found a food court type restaurant that specializes in octopus.

• 1 month later...