WV Council asks help -14 Rifles Stolen from Camp Mountaineer

MORGANTOWN  Local Boy Scouts need the public help to find a dozen rifles stolen from their camp.

Mountaineer Area Council Boy Scouts CEO and Scout Executive Jeff Doty said that volunteers were last at the shed at Camp Mountaineer on Sunday evening, May 14. By the time another volunteers returned May 16, they discovered someone broke in.

The suspects took a safe that had 10 22-caliber rifles and four pellet rifles, Doty said. The rifles were Savage Mod Mark 1 G 22 Long Rifle single shot, birch stock with serial numbers: 1171782, 1280641, 1280644, 1280645, 1280646, 1280647, 1280648, 1280649, 1280650, and 128065.

The council is asking for the public help, and if people see one of these guns on an online site or in a store, they are asked to contact the council or the West Virginia State Police.

http://www.dominionpost.com/14-rifles-stolen-from-local-Boy

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove whitespace

From FB

18485616_10154879075663277_7535482248318

A SCOUT IS TRUSTWORTHY.

The picture taken below is of the Rifle Range shelter at Camp Mountaineer. Sometime between Sunday night May 14th and last night, May 16th, an individual or more likely individuals broke into our Rifle Range building and stole one of our Sentry Safes (crap - RS) filled with 10 .22 rifles and 4 pellet rifles. Here is a description of the guns stolen:

Savage Mod Mark 1 G 22 Long Rifle single shot, birch stock with serial numbers: 1171782, 1280641, 1280644, 1280645, 1280646, 1280647, 1280648, 1280649, 1280650, and 1280653. Each rifle was blue finished metal and birch wood stocks and open sights.

The pellet rifles were Crossman 508 Olympic Sights Target pellet rifles with hard sided rifle cases in black and aluminum.

If you happen to see any of these guns on facebook, craiglist, yard sales, flea markets, etc. please notify us and the West Virginia State Police. We intend to push for prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.

We will be working over the next few weeks to repair the damages, install more security measures, and replace the stolen equipment. Any help you can give to make sure our Scouts continue to get a great program despite this disappointing setback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

18527568_10155584926964218_2502938782864

My advice,

1. Do not store firearms at an unattended, remote site. Pry bars, chain saws, winch on an ATV all make break-in easy.

2. Store in a real gun safe, bolted to concrete floor, with dehumidifier. A good one (e.g. Fort Knox) will cost about twice the cost of those rifles stolen, that sheet metal Sentry safe used probably cost 1/10.

3. Alarm system with battery backup and cameras.

4. Store ammunition separate from firearms.

5. Off-season store securely off-site - local gun shop, police department.

What are the requirements for firearm storage at summer camps?

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove whitespace

I certainly could be wrong, but I imagine the headline is inaccurately attributed as I doubt this was an inside job.  Had it been an inside job, they would have known those firearms are all but useless on the open market.  I'd wager a friend of a friend of a friend heard about rifles being used at the camp and ransacked the storage room.  I hope they catch them. 

I certainly could be wrong, but I imagine the headline is inaccurately attributed as I doubt this was an inside job.  Had it been an inside job, they would have known those firearms are all but useless on the open market.  I'd wager a friend of a friend of a friend heard about rifles being used at the camp and ransacked the storage room.  I hope they catch them.

Most camps keep their gear on site. That's pretty well known outside scouting.

Well at least the firearms were locked up, unlike

http://scouter.com/index.php/topic/26813-shotguns-stolen-public-youth-shooting-program-and-bsa-at-risk/page-2?hl=+rifles%20+stolen

Maybe the BSA could re-assign their squirt gun police to firearm security. I hope Bechtel Summit down the road is more secure.

• Upvote 1

Most camps keep their gear on site. That's pretty well known outside scouting.

Maybe it's just in my circle, but most non-scouters I've dealt with have no idea that Boy Scouts shoot rifles.  Then again, I'm on the east coast, so it's a different mind set.   Either way, I'm hard pressed to believe a scout or scouter did this. 

My advice,

1. Do not store firearms at an unattended, remote site. Pry bars, chain saws, winch on an ATV all make break-in easy.

2. Store in a real gun safe, bolted to concrete floor, with dehumidifier. A good one (e.g. Fort Knox) will cost about twice the cost of those rifles stolen, that sheet metal Sentry safe used probably cost 1/10.

My $0.02

Your second point pretty much negates all the others (except #4).  The cost of security shouldn't come anywhere near the cost of replacing the object you're trying to protect.  What they had here was probably appropriate to the circumstances.  You want to make it difficult for an impulsive act of vandalism or theft, but the cost of securing against determined thieves especially given the probability of having determined thieves target a remote location like a scout camp, really wouldn't be a Thrifty use of resources.

Edited by T2Eagle

My advice,

My $0.02

Your second point pretty much negates all the others (except #4).  The cost of security shouldn't come anywhere near the cost of replacing the object you're trying to protect.  What they had here was probably appropriate to the circumstances.  You want to make it difficult for an impulsive act of vandalism or theft, but the cost of securing against determined thieves especially given the probability of having determined thieves target a remote location like a scout camp, really wouldn't be a Thrifty use of resources.  

On 5/19/2017 at 2:10 PM, T2Eagle said:

The cost of what I am trying to protect is priceless.

I can name at least 3 scout camps where firearms have been stolen in the last 2 years. I am certain there are more. There's a problem.

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove whitespace
  • Upvote 1

That seems reasonable, the "safe" doesn't do anyone much good if a couple of guys can just carry it away and figure out how to get into it at their leisure.

• Upvote 1

Or...just don't Store the firearms at the range or storage garage. Store then at the ranger's house.

Wherever you Store them if someone wants them, and the camp is not monitored Year around, they will get them.