Eagle Scout Medal at Blue and Gold Banquet

• 4 weeks later...

I did, for my Son's first B&G - of course I was shortly thereafter drafted to become the new cubmaster :).

lol, wore mine for my son's first B&G... was asked to be the new Cubmaster that same day.  Still debating if I will say yes.  But probably leaning towards it.  

lol, wore mine for my son's first B&G... was asked to be the new Cubmaster that same day.  Still debating if I will say yes.  But probably leaning towards it.  

Do it! You will regret it if you don't. You know the system and know how it should be run. 

For me, it was a wonderful experience; however, I also had a great pack committee and seasoned (multi-sons) den leaders to support my efforts.

If you can find any remnant of your inner child, and have a desire to improve the scouting experience for your son(s) and the other boys in the unit, then I strongly recommend you accept.

Edited by gumbymaster

For me, it was a wonderful experience; however, I also had a great pack committee and seasoned (multi-sons) den leaders to support my efforts.

If you can find any remnant of your inner child, and have a desire to improve the scouting experience for your son(s) and the other boys in the unit, then I strongly recommend you accept.

Well, that's just it, I have the "desire to improve the scouting experience for my son", it was why I became his Den Leader.  My concern is that the Pack Committee seems to be going through a transition too, so that would be rebuilt as well and I'm not sure what the status on the Den Leaders is, as far as leaving the unit due to age out.  It's a good pack, and I don't think the current Cubmaster and Committee chair would just walk, but theyve been doing it a long time and are looking to step aside and maybe be in an advisory role. Like I said, I'm leaning towards taking the role, just tempering expectations. :) 

I feel like all of us who have been suckered :) into the position are standing around you in a circle chanting "Drink the Coolaid!"

In all seriousness, as long as you are confident that from the start you will not have to do the entire thing yourself (i.e. you have at least some reliable support), then that will give you the time you need to draft additional help and leaders to support your vision.  Sometimes, having this type of change (committee changes after the CM change or vice versa) can be good - if you have a strong vision of what you would like to accomplish.

In my case, I loved doing it, and I was able to bring my vision of some changes I wanted to see, but I was also sometimes intimidated by trying to direct others that had been there and leading the pack (or at least their dens) longer than I had.

I feel like all of us who have been suckered :) into the position are standing around you in a circle chanting "Drink the Coolaid!"

In all seriousness, as long as you are confident that from the start you will not have to do the entire thing yourself (i.e. you have at least some reliable support), then that will give you the time you need to draft additional help and leaders to support your vision.  Sometimes, having this type of change (committee changes after the CM change or vice versa) can be good - if you have a strong vision of what you would like to accomplish.

In my case, I loved doing it, and I was able to bring my vision of some changes I wanted to see, but I was also sometimes intimidated by trying to direct others that had been there and leading the pack (or at least their dens) longer than I had.

everything youve stated has run through my head, and despite my better judgement (i kid), and with some of the encouragement here, I took the position last night.  Now comes the hard part. :)  I'm looking forward to the challenge tho.  Like you said, trying to direct those who are set in their ways and have been doing this a long time, vs the 6th month in new guy... will be interesting.