2015 - Over 54,000 Eagles produced

Go to solution Solved by Krampus,

https://www.morningstar.com/news/pr-news-wire/PRNews_20160316CG48850/boy-scouts-of-america-announces-fourth-largest-eagle-scout-class-in-history.html  <--- has breakout state totals, Utah #1,  Vermont #50

The BSA recently released a list of the young men who earned their Eagle rank in each of the 50 states. In total, 54,366 young men became Eagle Scouts in 2015, which amounts to 6.57 percent of eligible Scouts (defined as registered Boy Scouts or male Venturers under age 18).

Though not a new record, it is the 4th largest yearly total.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have heard the concerns about boys and their parents joining scouts just for the Eagle.  It's all about the Eagle, All the press is about the Eagle.  And yet the vast majority of boys being reached

I believe there were only 25 Sea Scout Quartermasters last year. Having been a Sea Scout (only got to Ordinary), I can tell you that Eagle Scout is a heck of alot easier than Quartermaster.

I found the bling to be irrelevant to weather boys stick around. Plenty of 15 year olds here with no chance, but they're still here.

That's right, Stosh.   National's attitude is "Eagle or bust."  

Indeed, it would be better to emphasize the accomplishments of all scouts, regardless of rank.  That sense of brotherhood would be much larger, and more beneficial, to scouting.

Except for # MB's, # POR, # Service hours, and a project how does an Eagle differ from the First Class scout?  Then ask oneself how much of an impact do MB's, POR's, Service hours and a project really make?

Except for # MB's, # POR, # Service hours, and a project how does an Eagle differ from the First Class scout?  Then ask oneself how much of an impact do MB's, POR's, Service hours and a project really make?

I'd say in the past (pre-1972 Improved Scouting Program) those extra MBs might have made a difference (lifesaving required for Eagle, bird study, etc.).   The Eagle project has turned into a bureaucratic goat rope.

Today?   Those extra steps to Eagle may only show perseverance.   The tedium of the Citizenship MB trio, etc.    The real benefit is the experienced gained as an SPL or PL as a Star/Life.   But a scout doesn't need those PORs for Eagle any more.

I'd say in the past (pre-1972 Improved Scouting Program) those extra MBs might have made a difference (lifesaving required for Eagle, bird study, etc.).   The Eagle project has turned into a bureaucratic goat rope.

Today?   Those extra steps to Eagle may only show perseverance.   The tedium of the Citizenship MB trio, etc.    The real benefit is the experienced gained as an SPL or PL as a Star/Life.   But a scout doesn't need those PORs for Eagle any more.

I won't knock our current Eagle scouts (quantity or quality).  Also, I can't speak to the program from years and years ago, but I do agree something is missing.  Many of the merit badges tend to be tedious and a shallow reproduction of what is taught in school over and over again.  Many of the PORs have little real responsibility.  

IMHO, the real reflection of a great scouting experience is the camping, outings, fellowship and unique new experiences that don't overlap as much with school and other programs.  

• Upvote 1

We have heard the concerns about boys and their parents joining scouts just for the Eagle.  It's all about the Eagle, All the press is about the Eagle.  And yet the vast majority of boys being reached with quality leadership training, citizenship emphasis, moral decisions, self-respect and confidence are being sidelined.  It's not Eagle bashing to say the BSA's stance of "It's all about the Eagle" is interfering with the message that there are a huge number of quality scouts out there that will never get their picture in the paper and a fancy party.  I think the memorial of the unknown scout wasn't just for Eagles for a very good reason.  Scouting isn't just all about the Eagle.

• Upvote 2

Scouting magazine says there were 21,175 Eagles in 1960 and 29,103 in 1970. BSA membership ranged from 5.2 million to 6.3 million in that decade. So today, very roughly more than twice the Eagles with a third of overall membership (fuzzy numbers).

Below is a graph from Scouting magazine. 

IMHO, we should have around 1-2% reach Eagle which was the range during the post WW1-WW2-Space Race era. I think we had a better program and Eagles then. Remember when Eagles could enter the armed forces as E-3 instead of E-2?

Replace tedious with challenge, bring back adventure, outdoors and physical. All Eagles must meet the same high requirements no alternate requirements. Yep that means my sons don't earn Eagle but as Stosh says they can still be great scouts. Fire all Eagle advisors (oh, we are boy-run except when it comes to earning his Eagle). Allow an Eagle Trek in place of Eagle project where a candidate plans and leads a patrol solo, no adult (I can think of at least 4 HA to do this) :)   

My $0.01 rant

Eagle-Scout-percentage-over-time-1912-20

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

I think the case could be made for easing the requirements and/or Eagle Mill operations.  Statistics can mean just about anything anyone wants them to be.  After all if we high school graduated only 6% of the kindergarten kids entering school today we would be advocating a lot differently than just praising the handful that made it through.  Of course if one is only measuring one's education, a PhD doesn't take into account character or ethical decision making abilities either.

Scouting is a complete package and it's not the Eagle that completes it.