Scout Week Observations

I'm playing on words here. Most of us will be involved in some type scout Sunday/Sabbath or other scouting community recognition this week or later this month. I'm not so interested in how you observed it. (Although if you felt your youth did something that you think others might want to replicate, let's hear it!) Rather, what of interest -- grand or humble -- did you see happen?

Of course, I'll start ...

Yesterday I attended a luncheon event for pastors and board members who have congregants particularly interested in long term service. This was not a closed-door gathering, but by nature of the focus, doesn't draw a big crowd (older, planning and development types, not the "lets just have a party" types). However, the two youngest people in the room happened to be former venturers of mine. I'm not saying that non-scouts wouldn't take interest in this stuff, and there are obviously plenty of scouts of mine who would have zero interest. But, by virtue of having camped and hiked a lot with a lot of kids, and following them as they slogged through college, etc ... I had a good idea of who would be right for a particular specialty. Other folk would be limited to posting some announcement in their bulletin without much clue as to who would likely join them. As it was, these two took their seat at the table around some tremendous individuals and held their own quite nicely.

Although no uniforms were involved, I think that's what what we're trying to do with scout week ... Help our youth envision how what we're doing fits in with what they may do for God and Country down the road.

Your turn ...

Younger sons' pack had Scout Sunday Service at the CO.  Their pack and almost all of the units in the council Did Scouting for Food part 1 yesterday, and will do Part 2 next week.

Oldest son's troop and I also did a camp out. We have "Scout Sunday" next week.

I showed up at my church in full uniform.  A lot of people thought I had just gotten off of a scout activity and was going to church on the way home.  Nope, I told them it was Scout Sunday and at coffee fellowship we jaw-jacked for about an hour about church members who had been to Philmont, what they did in scouts "back in the day", etc.  It was a fun Sunday.

• Upvote 1

I was at a different church yesterday.  The Pastor started by asking those currently involved to rise, then he asked all ever involved to rise.  Clearly, the majority of men in this church had been involved in Scouting in some way in their lives.

To me, National is missing a grand marketing opportunity, tying in with Super Bowl week.  Scouting for Food used to be the BSA National Service Project.  Now, it's council by council, and rest assured, not all councils do it.

If I were Secretary Gates...

- Bring Scouting for Food back.

- Form a partnership with the NFL.

- Deploy the bags on Pro Bowl Sunday.

- Pick up on Super Sunday.

If we ask the Nation to add a box of mac and cheese, or add a can of tuna, or a jar of peanut butter to their Super Week shopping, and we multiply by tens of millions of homes, we get one huge advantage to the food pantries of America.  If we pre-print the bags with just five needed high value food items as suggestions...

I was on yesterday and was going to post a "Happy Scout Sunday" but then I realized I had missed Scout Sabbath.  :(  and then I noticed there was no forum category for it except I&P. 

My apologies to my Sabbath scouting friends.

I was at a different church yesterday.  The Pastor started by asking those currently involved to rise, then he asked all ever involved to rise.  Clearly, the majority of men in this church had been involved in Scouting in some way in their lives.

To me, National is missing a grand marketing opportunity, tying in with Super Bowl week.  Scouting for Food used to be the BSA National Service Project.  Now, it's council by council, and rest assured, not all councils do it.

If I were Secretary Gates...

- Bring Scouting for Food back.

- Form a partnership with the NFL.

- Deploy the bags on Pro Bowl Sunday.

- Pick up on Super Sunday.

If we ask the Nation to add a box of mac and cheese, or add a can of tuna, or a jar of peanut butter to their Super Week shopping, and we multiply by tens of millions of homes, we get one huge advantage to the food pantries of America.  If we pre-print the bags with just five needed high value food items as suggestions...

GREAT IDEA! Let's see what National thinks

http://scoutingwire.org/scoutings-place-in-the-big-game-this-sunday/

For me, it means Scouting is relevant as it’s ever been and we’re getting it right.

So keep this story in mind as you catch the kickoff Sunday. Me … I’ll be watching the game here in Dallas with a number of our National Board of Directors members arriving for our meetings starting Monday. And while I don’t have a huge favorite, I have family in the Carolinas. So the part of me that isn’t rooting for Matt Paradis will be pulling for the Panthers.

Enjoy the game!

Mike

So we're OK, go back to watching your TV.

Edited by RememberSchiff

I showed up at my church in full uniform. A lot of people thought I had just gotten off of a scout activity and was going to church on the way home. Nope, I told them it was Scout Sunday and at coffee fellowship we jaw-jacked for about an hour about church members who had been to Philmont, what they did in scouts "back in the day", etc. It was a fun Sunday.

bout he same happened for me at my church yesterday.

I was on yesterday and was going to post a "Happy Scout Sunday" but then I realized I had missed Scout Sabbath. :( and then I noticed there was no forum category for it except I&P.

My apologies to my Sabbath scouting friends.

good news! scout Sabbath is this coming Saturday! Edited by qwazse

As others have mentioned, Scout Sabbath is this Saturday.

My troop's CO is doing Scout Sunday this Sunday. It's been a week behind since Oldest joined.  I thought part of the reason is that we go camping after putting out the Scouting for Food flyers. Picking up the food, counting, and delivering to the food bank takes a lot longer. But I just discoverd that The United Methodist Church celebrate Scout Sunday on the second Sunday of February as not to conflict with Transfiguration Sunday.

Now the CO of the pack my younger two are in is interesting. When we first joined, we did it in March and did it with the Girls Scouts in attendance. It was only when I mentioned we were celebrating Scout Sunday a month late, that the leader coordinating Scout Sunday with the CO realized that the Girl Scout Sunday is different than Boy Scout Sunday.

When we arranged Scout Sunday the following year, we had it scheduled  a week late. It was the Sunday before Valentine's Day, and the sermon was a little too much for some of the Cubs and parents attending. :wub:   We didn't have another one until this year.