Introduction to the Patrol Method in less than a day

..... Those troops with varying degree of boy-led already in place, should take less time accordingly.  Every unit will be different.

In very broad terms re patrols and boy lead, i think a better way to think of this might be that all troops are the same, or at least should strive to be.

Thank you.

What do we do if no patrol wants "Billie"?  Can we not influence some patrol to give him a try?

This is an example where I would buy that troops might differ a bit.  A young troop without mature youth leadership might run into issues like this, in theory anyway...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you everyone for your responses so far.   The reason I picked a thousand is not that I want all of them at once, I just want a way to replicate it. Ideally it would be to work with a patrol size

Coaching, guiding and mentoring are explained in several training courses and leaders handbooks. Spreading skepticism of the BSA program with parents (anybody really) only reflects badly on the skepti

Part of the issue is that the information is out there, but only if you're really willing to dig for it.    Our training methods shouldn't be targeting super scouters, but the average leader. It shou

Thank you.

What do we do if no patrol wants "Billie"?  Can we not influence some patrol to give him a try?

I've never had this problem.  BSA says a patrol should be 6-8 boys.  That usually gives enough leeway to have everyone a part of a patrol.  The only patrol that may end up short boys would be the Leadership Corps "patrol" of boys.  As a scenario to consider, 17 boys in the troop.   Not enough for 3 patrols, too many for 2.  First of all it would be very interesting to give the boys the opportunity to problem solve on their own.  Many times I have been surprised with how boys resolve such problems.  The worst thing the boys could do is come and tell you there is no place for Billy.  I don't see that happening.  Best thing that could happen is the boys come and say they have 2 patrols and one has 9 in it and if that's too many for BSA rules, too bad.  You have just found your best patrol.  

I would now replace "help plan" with "collectively plan."

Acceptable compromise with "right of refusal" for the boys...  adults can "veto" based on BSA policy and safety concerns.

Since the purpose is, in part, teaching democracy - with its perils, what democratic system other than election fits?

Too often elections and terms, and term limits and such don't work as well as one would like them to.  So I have always left it open ended.  If the boys want to elect their leader, okay with me.  If they want that person in office for 6 months, okay with me.  If they say after a year someone else has to run for the position, okay with me.  But if the boys say they drew straws for the leader or accepted a volunteer, okay with me.  If they made a mistake and want someone else as leader 2 weeks down the road, okay with me.  If they love their PL and keep him until he ages out, okay with me.  In a democracy, the people should be calling the shots and making the leadership structure work for them.  We are not a democracy,  we are a republic.  :) 

Certainly, electing the "wrong PL" is a wonderful educational opportunity.

And it's up to fix their mistakes....

I believe adults are a resource for Scouts to use in planning or carrying out their plans.  

I believe adults are a fantastic resource for scouts to create opportunities for scouts when planning and carrying out their plans. 

If no Scout knows how to, for example, sharpen a knife (The BSHB is thin on all woods tools topics and the Internet is full of good AND bad information.), I do not see an adult teaching the PL how to sharpen as destructive of Boy Scouting.  If the troop does not have a FC scout that can teach how to sharpen a knife, obviously there has been way too much pencil whipping of requirements and that will necessitate an adult-led program.  And neither did Bill, to invoke ancient authority.  In teaching, the adult can set a good example.  That is not to say that expecting Scouts to figure things out for themselves is unreasonable, even when they fail.  Train 'em, Trust 'em, Let them lead.  After one initially Trains the first boys in a new troop, then it's time to Trust them and get out of the way.  If one does a lousy job training them, then the adults will need to keep doing that forever, the foundation of an adult-led program.

An adult-led program is nothing more than a program that has never figured out how to get to that second step of trusting the boys to take over and lead.  That's an opportunity that many adults can't handle.

A troop is more than a leadership corps of Scouts and adds more to a group of patrols.  Scouts, for example, cannot sign-up for summer camp should the PLC decided to go to summer camp Sure they can, I've always had boys at summer camp and never had a PLC.  The decision to go to summer camp lies solely with the PL's, rent canoes for an expedition Sure they can, they just tell the Treasurer to write a check to the rental place, open a bank account , charter a unit, or (usually) arrange for product X to be purchased for resale.   I use 'administrative" since most

"patrols" today exist for the administrative convenience of the adult-run troop.   And I used a more supportive use of words to indicate more of a way for adults to see themselves not as gatekeepers of activities, but as the support mechanism by which the boy's plans are facilitated appropriately.  Legally the boys can't open the bank account, they can't according to BSA policy charter a unit, enter legal contracts for purchase of product, etc.  But adults do these things at the directive of the boys.  Do committees select a Popcorn Chairman, get program materials, hand out to the boys, hound them week after week and then walk the boys through the distribution and sale of product or do they let the boys know the popcorn sales is coming up this fall and then wait for further instruction from the boys?  I know of a lot of units have had fantastic bank accounts and have demanded a lot of financial issues through the program.   But not every boy goes to Philmont, Sea Base, Northern Tier, summer camp, or even cares if the troop has a trailer and tents.  They just want to go camping and if they need something they should feel free to ask the adults to support what they are doing, not dictating things the adults want done.  Subtle difference in which way the leadership is flowing.  I like the flow from the boys to the adults.

Having said that, you do not need a literal troop at all.  Call a patrol a "troop."  Adults can "help" within the bounds of the Patrol Method with no actual troop. (Cross unit lines for competition and cross-pollination as was commonly done in the early days.)  BSA had separately registered "Neighborhood Patrols" for decades.  Many 'troops" today are adult-run patrols.  At this point of it's development my "troop" has one "patrol".  :)  The words are interchangeable.  Once there are enough boys for 2 patrols, we can start drawing a distinction.  :)

The duty to insure safety is non-deligable.  Youth act as a "force multiplier," but adults have the responsibility.  It has never been the practice or the rule that adults "encourage," for example, Scouts to stop knife-fighting or bullying.  Rule #1 in my troop is Safety First and all the boys know that ANYONE can jump on their case with both feet to enforce it.  It can be another scout, it can be a parent, it can be a bystander, it can be a scout leader and it can even be a younger brother or sister!  EVERYONE has been delegated to enforce safety and has the responsibility to follow through on it.

As for waiting a year, I am totally against waiting past the introduction to leadership course that you and the SPL put on (if there is an SPL).  The first requirement for using the Patrol method is to use it.  If we lay aside the "well-oiled machine" there is no reason to wait until we are ready for Boy Scouting.   Kids in small groups go out every day and do stuff. Typically, there is a leader.  Start slow.  It will be simple at first.  It will be messy - just as if kids were in charge.  You will probably have to do more standing in a corner chatting with the PL about "How are things going?"  You might have to offer more of a menu from which they chose, but as long as they are truly choosing and clearly have the right to add to the menu, that is still OK I think. (My first SM called this avoiding "giving a menu of death, a broken arm, or ice-cream.") LOL!  Any time the boys think it's cool to have PopTarts for breakfast, I always have a 1# package of bacon to fry up for the aroma factor.  I don't particularly like bacon, but I'll put up with it to insure that the PopTart menu never hits the camp again.  Kraft Mac and Cheese can easily be curtailed by home-made Mac and Cheese with generous chunks of thick cut bacon, onion, and peppers topped off with crumbled Doritos.  Again, the bacon does the double duty here too.  While I strictly forbid adults to step in and interfere with the operation of nearby patrols, I have always had the problem of reining in the aroma of bacon to just the adult's campsite.  :)

• Upvote 1

@@blw2

Posted Today, 12:53 PM

Stosh, on 25 Jan 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:snapback.png

..... Those troops with varying degree of boy-led already in place, should take less time accordingly.  Every unit will be different.

In very broad terms re patrols and boy lead, i think a better way to think of this might be that all troops are the same, or at least should strive to be.

Two ships passing in the night here.  As a whole all troops need to strive for the same goal of boy-led, patrol-method scouting (probably an ideal which no one ever really succeeds at attaining, always room for improvement).  But when the decision to make the shift away from where we are today and move towards the goal varies from one troop to the next.  One troop which has boy-led down quite well, may need a 5-minute tweak here and there as needed, whereas another troop who has been heavily adult-led, troop-method for many years may take a very long time with major overhauls to get anywhere near a boy-led, patrol-method unit.  That's the issue I was trying to describe in my comments and probably wasn't clear enough. 

• Upvote 1

@@TAHAWK and @@Stosh , the two of you aren't far apart at all. Arguing semantics I think. 

Thank you.

I've never had this problem.  BSA says a patrol should be 6-8 boys.  That usually gives enough leeway to have everyone a part of a patrol.  The only patrol that may end up short boys would be the Leadership Corps "patrol" of boys.  As a scenario to consider, 17 boys in the troop.   Not enough for 3 patrols, too many for 2.  First of all it would be very interesting to give the boys the opportunity to problem solve on their own.  Many times I have been surprised with how boys resolve such problems.  The worst thing the boys could do is come and tell you there is no place for Billy.  I don't see that happening.  Best thing that could happen is the boys come and say they have 2 patrols and one has 9 in it and if that's too many for BSA rules, too bad.  You have just found your best patrol.  

I second this. I've seen it first hand. We've let them experiment beyond the 6-8 number. It hasn't always worked, but it lets them make their decisions, experiment and learn from the experience. 

I am on board with Tahawk's point. If Billy is not being included in a patrol, I'm going to have the Patrol leaders take a crack at the issue first (assuming the SPL hasn't already facilitated that.) Next the SPL gets a chance to resolve the issue. If he can't do it, it comes up to the Scoutmasters. This hasn't happened in the nearly 4 years our Troop has fully gone "jungle rules" or "Lord of the Flies" and let the scouts decide what patrol they want to be in without conditions. (Exception, we use new scout patrols) so the 15-20 new Scouts we get divide into roughly 2 patrols but even there, they choose which one they want to be in, and still even with 11 year olds, nobody has ever been left out. 

Edit: since Stosh posted while I was typing. He added "One troop which has boy-led down quite well, may need a 5-minute tweak here and there as needed, whereas another troop who has been heavily adult-led, troop-method for many years may take a very long time with major overhauls to get anywhere near a boy-led, patrol-method unit.  That's the issue I was trying to describe in my comments and probably wasn't clear enough. "

I think this is absolutely on point. Changing institutions takes time, it's very messy, but we shouldn't be discouraged, and look for and celebrate the little changes, because they are meaningful. 

Sentinel947 

Edited by Sentinel947
Stosh made a new post.

Getting back to some of the original question, it seems you are looking for a time conscious (short), repeatable method to make adults understand the patrol method.

I don't have all the resources to do this, but might help if the idea caught on ... Lets approach it like a social media problem.

This can all be done on the internet, so at least to the adults participating, they will think it is being conscious of their schedule (in the end it may not, but that is a different story).

People can come and go at any time, they start in a general "chat room", so they can get to know some of the others.  When a group of eight of them agree to become a patrol, they start the challenges - together.

They can do the challenges at any rate they want to, so it would be a good idea for them work out a schedule for when they will get together online an meet in their "patrol corners" chat room.  If someone meets too many meetings, the others can vote them out and visit the chat room to add a new members.  In many ways, this would work like the "clash of clans" model.

As a team, they would have on-line challenges - menu planning, teach a skill - this would require more effort to implement, but the rewards could be team (patrol) awards and individual "advancement".  Add some leader boards and team rankings and some of our patrol members will certainly be coming back.

The patrols could face off in time trials against other patrols logged in at the same time.

There would be some Moderators (SMs/ASMs), but their role would be very limited.

Clearly a lot of effort, but might be able to achieve the desired goal, and might be a lot of fun if some good challenges could be designed to work on-line.

• Upvote 1

"There would be some Moderators (SMs/ASMs), but their role would be very limited."

:)  There would be some Moderators (SPL's/ASPL's), but their role would be limited to supportive.

Sorry GumbyMaster, couldn't resist.  :)  But I do like the idea of having something like this on-line.

Edited by Stosh

"There would be some Moderators (SMs/ASMs), but their role would be very limited."

:)  There would be some Moderators (SPL's/ASPL's), but their role would be limited to supportive.

Sorry GumbyMaster, couldn't resist.  :)  But I do like the idea of having something like this on-line.

Actually, that was partially my point, to use that role to teach the limited role of the adults in the operation.

I thought about allowing several patrols to self organize into a troop, and elect one of the patrols to be the "senior patrol", but I decided to leave it out as the question was primarily concerned with the patrol method, not the troop structure.

drifting off topic a bit

but here's a somewhat related question... real life for me... but a point for discussion too

My son and one other boy crossed into a particular troop.  the others in the den went to another troop

As of now, these are the only two WEBELOS crossovers for sure, more are probable but as far as I know not certain, from another pack or two

Troop currently has 3 patrols

7 scouts

8 scouts

10 scouts

assuming the roster is correct

so + the 2 new scouts, that's 27 scouts

I have no idea really about active vs not very active counts... but let's assume for this discussion they are all very active.

Now, let's say for discussion that the existing patrols are all solid.  All the boys like each other and want to be together.

none of the patrols can nicely swallow the 2 new scouts and keep within the magic number

My son knows several of the existing scouts, but the only current scout that my son is really good friends with, happens to be in the largest patrol.

Now it's easy if they get another 4-6 new scouts, they could form a NSP (yeah, yeah, I know...).

BUT

if no more join with this round of crossovers....

So, what are the scouts to do?

What do you see as their best option?

Actually one would need about 100 patrols with a whole ton of ASPL's and one person we would never agree on to be the SPL.  :) 

You are right, the focus would be on patrol method operations and the structure of the troop would be assumed to be just about anything other than filtered out any direct input from any outside source so the patrol could quickly determine it's group dynamics.

Wow, I picked too busy of a time to put this topic up as I can't respond to everything, but I'm happy with it anyway.

It's interesting that the idea seems so simple once you get it but it's so hard to describe. Anyway, that's why I like a simple, concise description. I've noticed that BSA training is always positive in that it always mentions what we should do but not what we shouldn't. Telling the adults to not make decisions for the scouts is more direct than let the scouts make their own decisions.

@@JoeBob raised a very good point that is not getting much attention. I don't know for sure if what JoeBob has is what I went through but it sounds familiar. When you have a troop that doesn't get it and you have older scouts that don't want it, it's hard and it's frustrating. Everyone has said it takes at least a year. So what's a good plan for that year? If there's one thing I've learned it's pick your battles. Too much change all at once can be bad. I went through this and it's scouts and parents I know and had a lot of fun with. When one of the parents that does more help than anyone else has a self centered son, it's really hard to implement something that could very well push that boy and his dad away. How many troops won't make the needed changes because of this type of problem? Some guidance could help here.

As for Billie, the scout that nobody wants, that's not so hard. The PLC gets together, the SPL reiterates that the Oath and Law drive all decisions. He then asks what to do with Billie. I've seen similar situations where first the scouts talk about what Billie does that annoys everyone, what tends to trigger it, and what's the best environment for him. They tend to know these boys better than the adults so their decisions are better than the adults. This type of problem is the one that adults are afraid to let go of and likely teach the scouts the most.

@@gumbymaster, this is one of those situations where I tell a scout that is not at all what I was thinking, but please go with it. An online multi player patrol method game. That would be so much better than power point slides. If you build it, they will come, Unfortunately I don't have the time to build it.

But, the crux of it is a bunch of problem scenarios and that could be done in person. So, spend a half hour talking about the main ideas and the rest of the day going through problems to illustrate them. Each problem is a set of cards that are randomly distributed, one to each patrol member. Each patrol member reads the cards to themselves and tells nobody what it contains other than a very brief description of their character. They are the PL, or a new scout, or an adult, for example. Their personalities will emerge based on how they act out what the card describes. Someone's the dictatorial PL, someone could be a new scout that's either whiney, homesick, lazy, eager, etc. Someone could be the SM and just trounces all over any decisions made. Yes, these are evil characters but Shakespeare used them to good effect. Granted there also need to be problems with lots of good people. There could also be props. Start a fire. Make a dutch oven meal. Teach a compass skill.

drifting off topic a bit

but here's a somewhat related question... real life for me... but a point for discussion too

My son and one other boy crossed into a particular troop.  the others in the den went to another troop

As of now, these are the only two WEBELOS crossovers for sure, more are probable but as far as I know not certain, from another pack or two

Troop currently has 3 patrols

7 scouts

8 scouts

10 scouts

assuming the roster is correct

so + the 2 new scouts, that's 27 scouts

I have no idea really about active vs not very active counts... but let's assume for this discussion they are all very active.

Now, let's say for discussion that the existing patrols are all solid.  All the boys like each other and want to be together.

none of the patrols can nicely swallow the 2 new scouts and keep within the magic number

My son knows several of the existing scouts, but the only current scout that my son is really good friends with, happens to be in the largest patrol.

Now it's easy if they get another 4-6 new scouts, they could form a NSP (yeah, yeah, I know...).

BUT

if no more join with this round of crossovers....

Aaaah, now you see the problem with not having the NSP!  :) 

Introduce the new boys to the troop, and let the PL's decide what to do.  I would reference the BSA policy suggestion of 6-8 boys as appropriate for a troop to function at it's best. 

IF the boys come seeking advice from the SM, I would suggest as an option/opportunity to draw the troop officers into a Leadership Corps, the SPL, ASPL, should not be in with a patrol anyway.  With three patrols, that's pulling two boys out.  So that the LC isn't too small, I would have the TG, the QM, and Scribe and maybe an Instructor to make it 6 to go with them.  That pulls six out of the mix and forms the LC "patrol". 

Okay with 27 boys total pull out 6 for LC that leaves 21, well within the realm of 3 patrols between 6-8 (18-24) boys and a developing LC opportunity.  Even room for 3 more Webelos boys.  At which point if they came in, one could jump from 3 patrols of 8 boys to 4 patrols of 6 boys rather easily opening up more POR leadership development to happen.   :)  Offer up that and see what they think.  You're now off the hook for any further ideas.  Of course if they come up with something else on their own that works, that's even better.  All your suggestion was intended to do was to get them thinking about other options.

• Upvote 1

@@gumbymaster that sounds like a great idea (if someone would volunteer the tech to support it)!

• That answers how we get 1000 scouters/parents in the audience.
  • Rather than a single day session, this operates (from the audience's perspective) over several sessions per month. I think that gives users a chance to get comfortable and experience the reality that real patrols take time to come together.
  • The simulation should end after a month or two. This also simulates a scout's tenure.
  • The time online and with whom (your patrol vs. your PLC) should be managed. This simulates a scout's availability for meetings.
  • I could see "infinite room" being managed by only allowing you to choose patrol mates from among the nearest 40 people who start the course about the same time you do. (I.e., every 40 registrants is in a troop.)
  • The downside is being sure your virtual patrol mates are committed. However, that's the risk that every scout faces as he joins his patrol.
  • The challenges would have to be virtual, but may involve something like uploaded taking pictures of your gear (a la tenderfoot requirements) or the results of a service project.
  • Here's a kicker: maybe a patrol's results should be judged by scouts taking NYLT! They get to up-vote patrols they admire.

The closing lessons for each patrol would involve after action review, and how much they'd like to see something like this for their boys in real space.

• Upvote 1

@@blw2, this is similar to Billie's problem. Ask the scouts. Talk about how important it is for new scouts to have a friend and how patrols must stay reasonably sized, then trust them.

My guess is there are options once all the details come in. If the 10 scouts in the third patrol are active then that's a lot for a PL to handle. Ever cook for 10 on those cheap stoves? One option is split that patrol. Maybe they aren't all active. Or maybe some will be aging out soon. Or maybe some are busy with sports. Or maybe there will be more scouts, a lot more scouts, and a NSP is really only good for a few months, so there will be a big change needed some how.

drifting off topic a bit

...if no more join with this round of crossovers....

Their best option is to get in a room and sort it out. Maybe after one or two events where they are guests of each patrol, maybe right now because they are done being everyone's guests!

Your son's really good friend may be itching to start a new patrol, so him and a buddy might brazenly start with the four of them and see if there's another one or two who will come along.

But, some of those scouts might be aging out. Or some might be itching to band together for some super-activity. (E.g., they signed up for hike-a-month club to condition for Philmont.) So the landscape will always look much different from the little-boots-on-the-ground perspective than it does on paper.

• Upvote 1

Wow, I picked too busy of a time to put this topic up as I can't respond to everything, but I'm happy with it anyway.

@@JoeBob raised a very good point that is not getting much attention. I don't know for sure if what JoeBob has is what I went through but it sounds familiar. When you have a troop that doesn't get it and you have older scouts that don't want it, it's hard and it's frustrating. Everyone has said it takes at least a year. So what's a good plan for that year? If there's one thing I've learned it's pick your battles. Too much change all at once can be bad. I went through this and it's scouts and parents I know and had a lot of fun with. When one of the parents that does more help than anyone else has a self centered son, it's really hard to implement something that could very well push that boy and his dad away. How many troops won't make the needed changes because of this type of problem? Some guidance could help here.

But, the crux of it is a bunch of problem scenarios and that could be done in person. So, spend a half hour talking about the main ideas and the rest of the day going through problems to illustrate them. Each problem is a set of cards that are randomly distributed, one to each patrol member. Each patrol member reads the cards to themselves and tells nobody what it contains other than a very brief description of their character. They are the PL, or a new scout, or an adult, for example. Their personalities will emerge based on how they act out what the card describes. Someone's the dictatorial PL, someone could be a new scout that's either whiney, homesick, lazy, eager, etc. Someone could be the SM and just trounces all over any decisions made. Yes, these are evil characters but Shakespeare used them to good effect. Granted there also need to be problems with lots of good people. There could also be props. Start a fire. Make a dutch oven meal. Teach a compass skill."

I too found JoeBob comment interesting and will go back and reread it again. 

​I think it's optimistic to say that it takes a year. Your mileage may vary, but it took me almost a year to get buy in from the right adults, get the older scouts on board, then the new SPL led the discussion with the PLC about our troop and what his vision was, what they wanted to do, and what they adults vision was. The second year was implementing some of that, and it's gone VERY slowly, because the boys are leading things. I'm happy for the progress we've made, and hopeful that we'll keep it going. Now we are in year 3. Perhaps it can take 3 years?

​However, my experience had a few things that made my troop's route different and why I think my way of converting a Troop to the patrol method is not reproducible for most folks.

• My Troop was a patrol method troop as recently as 2008.
  • I was a member of the Troop back then and remember what it was like.
  • Our Troop sends our Scout to NYLT and our Council's NYLT is top notch.
  • I went to NYLT, I know exactly what they are being taught and how to build on it.
  • This is my 10th year in the Troop. Everybody knows me, and there's a trust level there a newer leader wouldn't have.
  • Getting buy in from the other adults wasn't terribly difficult, the CC was on board. The Scoutmasters wasn't sure what the end game was. He didn't see my vision.
  • Being 22, I have more of a peer to peer relationship with the Scouts in my Troop than most parent/leaders can have. When I started discussing the Patrol Method and the youth leadership concept's behind it, our senior Scouts were hungry for the challenge and I knew what buttons to press.
  • The Scoutmaster's son was one of those senior Scouts, he was able to make the case to the Scoutmaster better than I could. (The Scoutmaster's son then went on to be an ASPL and is now the Troop's SPL, a remarkable turnaround for a Scout who looked like he was just waiting out the clock on his Eagle.) To make the twist even more fun, I was a Troop Guide for the Scoutmaster's son when he crossed over into the Troop.
  • The Scoutmaster and I went to Wood badge, now we both have a shared vision and can help keep the other adults on the same track.
  • The big kicker is again,  the senior Scouts bought in. The seeds were already planted, they just needed permission and the adults to get out of the way.

Too long: didn't read, get to the point Sentinel!!!

​Even with the circumstances stacked in my favor, this has been a 3 year project. With everything in my favor beyond me being the actual Scoutmaster, this has been a slow process.

​Without a unity of vision from the adults, the patrol method cannot work. All the adult's must be on the same page and have a point person, it should be the Scoutmaster, but an ASM can make it work. (I had to steer the ship from the ASM position till the Scoutmaster figured things out.)

In a Troop where the older Scouts aren't playing the game, this could easily turn into a 3-4 year process where you have to build the patrol system with  younger Scouts, wait for the older guys who don't want to go along to age/Eagle/drop out. That's a tough proposition.

Part of it is how it's being presented to Scouts. I don't frame it as work. It's about decision making, influence and leadership. Going to the patrol method means giving those things to the Boys, obviously subject to reasonable oversight. I think the more realistic scenario is some of the older scouts don't buy in, some do. Target the ones that do, build them up and coach them, especially if they are patrol leaders or the SPL. 

​I'd keep going, but I'd like commentary before I continue to ramble about my experiences. Perhaps a little commentary can help me focus on the specifics.

Sentinel947

Edited by Sentinel947
Edited for clarity