Hardest thing to do as a unit leader

It has to be sending an obituary to the pack about a father of three young boys. Cancer sucks.... I am reminded of something a pastier once said at a memorial "Think about your memorial if you were to die tomorrow. What would people say about you, " I hope we are remembered for living our lives by the scout law.

One of my Scouts lost his father in January. I was really surprised when I saw the email from the Scoutmaster.Besides thinking about what people would say at my memorial. I also think often, "If I died tomorrow, what were my last interactions like with the people I care about? That was a lesson my mother taught me after 9/11 and it has stuck with me. Never take tomorrow for granted.

My prayers will be with those young scouts, their family, and your community.

Only thing worse is having to bury a scout' date=' which happened to us a number of years ago. There was a controversy whether it was an accident or suicide, but in any case, a lot of tears.[/quote']

Wow, I hope I never have to do that.

Mashmaster,

I'm really sorry for your loss as well. As someone who lost his father at a very young age, I know that the boys will have a feeling of isolation in addition to their sorrow. Perhaps you could find a way for the pack to honor their father.It will be very important for the boys to have a sense of belonging, and their friends in scouting can be a huge benefit.

• Upvote 1
Mashmaster,

I'm really sorry for your loss as well. As someone who lost his father at a very young age, I know that the boys will have a feeling of isolation in addition to their sorrow. Perhaps you could find a way for the pack to honor their father.It will be very important for the boys to have a sense of belonging, and their friends in scouting can be a huge benefit.

Thanks, we will try.