San Diego Cub Scout hike through nude beach

New Jersey has one legal clothing-optional beach. It's on Sandy Hook, which is part of a national park... which is why it is legal, or at least tolerated, and is also why there is only one. The regulation of these things in New Jersey is by municipal ordinance, but all law enforcement on Sandy Hook is done by the National Park Service, and either the local ordinance does not apply there, or the NPS does not enforce it. (For the same reason, Sandy Hook is the only place in New Jersey where if you get a parking ticket and want to fight it, you don't go to the municipal court and appear before a municipal judge. You go to Fort Dix, and you appear before a United States Magistrate Judge and fight the ticket. I know someone who did that once - for a parking ticket he got while parking at the clothing-optional beach.)

There are a lot of other places to go on Sandy Hook, and my troop has camped there about every other year, and has never been anywhere near the clothing-optional beach. On these camping trips, there are usually side trips to "the beach" in the afternoon, since the trips are usually in June - but not THAT beach. The "regular" beaches on Sandy Hook are about 95 percent of the beachfront. The clothing-optional beach is apparently tucked away in some secluded area, and there are big "warning" signs around it. I have never been there, but there is a Wikipedia article about it, and I do know one of the regular patrons, and I know all about his parking ticket. (Which he got dismissed, by the way.)

There are plenty of nature trails on Sandy Hook, but none of them run through, past, or anywhere near Gunison Beach.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmmm, yes, the scene depicted in that statue would present a Youth Protection problem.

I'm going to give the cub leader the benefit of the doubt here. The actions reported in that article are based on a quote from one clearly outraged parent. All media sources are quite capable of paraphrasing, missing out words and frankly just making quotes up.

I'm going to assume it was all a mistake, they went for a hike and stumble across a nudist beach.

If that's the case you just take it as one to learn from and when the dust settles one that everyone can have a chuckle about round the camp fire. "So there's this time we took the cubs for a hike and you'll never guess what happened....."

And there's this, "The couple filed a complaint with the Boy Scouts, but were told it didn't go against their policy."

End of story. If all those people had been wearing thongs instead, THAT would have made it just hunky dory, right? Good grief. Has this society always been so repressed?

A group of visiting research scientists (from Russia) were here during the hot Southern summer about 15 years ago. We walked down to the lake and before anyone could say anything they had shucked off all their clothes and went splashing into the water, having a nice swim. It was just what was done as far as they were concerned. So we just set a lookout in case the cops appeared.

I had a similar personal experience while I was working on a project in Russia...everyone just shucked off their clothes...me too. My only complaint: that water was really cold. But the women were beautiful. All in all, a nice balance was achieved. ;)

“During a planned hiking trip at Torrey Pines State Beach' date=' a local Cub Scout Pack encountered some individuals who were inappropriately dressed.[/b'] This outing, involving both parents and adult volunteer leaders, was quickly rerouted to protect the youth. Following the trip, both San Diego-Imperial Council and Pack leadership met with parents to discuss the events and determine if further action was needed. Together we concluded that proper protocol had been observed and appropriate steps were taken in this matter.†Karl Shelton, San Diego Imperial Council spokesman

So did the Cubmaster have an approved Tour Permit? :o Isn't this "covered" in YP training?

http://www.cbs8.com/story/28006852/p...o-blacks-beach

And I wonder why National doesn't trust the judgment of unit leaders...

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/TourPlanFAQ.aspx

They didn't need one per BSA unless;

• Trips of 500 miles or more; or
  • Trips outside of council borders (exception: not to your council-owned property); or
  • Trips to Florida Sea Base, Northern Tier, Philmont Scout Ranch, Summit Bechtel Reserve (you will be asked to present a copy of your tour and activity plan upon arrival),national Scout jamboree, National Order of the Arrow Conference, or a regionally sponsored event; or
  • When conducting any of the following activities outside of council or district events:
    • Aquatics activities (swimming, boating, floating, scuba, etc.)
    • Climbing and rappelling
    • Orientation flights (process flying plan)
    • Shooting sports
    • Any activities involving motorized vehicles as part of the program (snowmobiles, boating, etc.); or
    • At a council's request (Contact your local council for additional guidelines or regulations concerning tour and activity plans; many have set guidelines for events or activities within council boundaries such as for Cub Scout overnight camping.)

It doesn't sound like any of those are true in this case, not that I know for sure. Though their council may require one under different circumstances.

They didn't need one per BSA ...

True. They were within their council so the BSA does not require one. Does that make sense is another topic.

It would be interesting to know if the Charter Organization, which I think is a Presbyterian Church, was part of the "Pack leadership" which said proper protocol had been observed, etc. If not, there may be more to come.

Our Troop did a canoe trip down the Wisconsin River starting at Sauk City and ending Arena. Near the end of the journey is a small nude beach at Mazomanie, and the canoe outfitter "warned" us of the potential "sights". We advised everyone to move to the other side of the rive as we were getting close...:D

And there's this, "The couple filed a complaint with the Boy Scouts, but were told it didn't go against their policy."

End of story. If all those people had been wearing thongs instead, THAT would have made it just hunky dory, right? Good grief. Has this society always been so repressed?

No.

When I was a kid we had group showers at camp (scout camp or non-scout camp - and young children of either gender took showers with Mommy or Daddy), group showers in the school locker room and some troops still went skinny dipping (I don't remember mine doing it - though we did do group bathing on long backpacking trips). It was all no big deal. As another thread pointed out, it wasn't that many decades ago that most high schools mandated nude swimming for males.

A group of visiting research scientists (from Russia) were here during the hot Southern summer about 15 years ago. We walked down to the lake and before anyone could say anything they had shucked off all their clothes and went splashing into the water, having a nice swim. It was just what was done as far as they were concerned. So we just set a lookout in case the cops appeared.

I had a similar personal experience while I was working on a project in Russia...everyone just shucked off their clothes...me too. My only complaint: that water was really cold. But the women were beautiful. All in all, a nice balance was achieved. ;)

Most of Europe is much less uptight about things then we are. Go look at the various international scout camps in Europe, you will see that single gender sleeping arrangements are by "special request".*

Note: These coed sleeping arrangements are with larger groups (an entire patrol in one tent). My guess is that European units when using two-person tents like us, go with single gender tenting.

Most of Europe is much less uptight about things then we are. Go look at the various international scout camps in Europe, you will see that single gender sleeping arrangements are by "special request".*

Note: These coed sleeping arrangements are with larger groups (an entire patrol in one tent). My guess is that European units when using two-person tents like us, go with single gender tenting.

Yes and no. In the UK for example, there's no rules that say boys and girls can't share a tent. Mostly though, it doesn't happen. I've put Explorer Scouts (aged 14-17) in a large tent together, so there's 8 or so in one tent. I know some scout troops who do patrol camping, they all go in together, but most tie themselves in knots with separate tents for girls. Usually I do camp boys and girls separate. Sometimes on hikes I've put the one girl in a team into a tent with two boys, mum said "more fool them (the boys) if they try anything".

A fellow leader went to Sweden in the 80s with Venture Scouts (15-21) and that was all mixed, and normal.

We hosted some portuguese scouts last year, and they wanted separate tents for boys and girls, and one night we were on a ship, they wanted the female leaders in with the female explorers.

Ian

Roughly what Ian said.

I deal with the scout secion (10-14 year olds) and while we would generally plan single sex sleeping arrangements if the ratios don't work we will put boys and girls in together. On an over night ferry to Holland we had 10 boys and 2 girls and cabins that held 12 so on that occassion it was mixed. Our last night of sumer camp they typically all just sleep under the stars so again it's all mixed up.

So yes less uptight, but I wouldn't go as far as saying we ignore it.

Awwww, it couldn't have been much worse than this Scout statue

5673441391_39228b073e.jpg

I won't do it without an explicit moderator "OK" but I could post the cover of a late 1950s UK magazine "The Scout" (British Boys' Life) that features a completely nude scout on a raft he's built Tom Sawyer style. Not frontal, but just imagine the deaths by heart attack if there were a boy's butt on the cover of Boys' Life.

Of course, even Boys' Life was once racy by today's standards:

gdznsQg.jpg

http://boyslife.org/wayback/#issue=jsuwk3gy8lwC&pg=14

I'm pretty conservative, but the 1980s pushback against the 60s/70s sex culture took us to a point that is more prudish about non-sexual nudity than we ever were before the 60s.