I needed some good news and I think I found it. Outdoor emergency drill by the pro's (WRFD, RSAR, a FEMA CERT service team, etc.) who will setup a National Incident Management System (NIMS) command at a scout camp. Scouts will be trained and involved in the drill.

http://www.thereddingpilot.com/20852...ill-on-jan-10/

Boy Scouts from Redding Troop 15 will fill the role of lost and injured patients while also being taught the fundamentals of emergency first aid and wilderness survival.

“This drill represents an opportunity for our Scouts to contribute to an important event and an amazing opportunity to learn vital life-saving skills from some of the best in the field of emergency services said Raymond Schaer, troop leader.

Sounds done right.

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove whitespace

Followup with photos and more info at this link:

http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/Area-first-responders-stage-mock-search-for-lost-6006819.php

"Here's the scenario: After splitting into three groups to seek help for a 12-year-old who fell off a cliff and broke his leg, seven local Boy Scouts went missing somewhere in the 170 acres of open space at the John Sherman Hoyt Scout Reservation.Fortunately, the boys were not actually missing: They and emergency responders from multiple jurisdictions were engaged in a large-scale woodland search and rescue drill led by the West Redding Fire Department.

Temperatures were in the teens and the ground was still covered with ice from Friday morning's snow showers when the two-hour exercise took place.

Erik Areklett, of Redding Troop 15, played the role of the injured Scout. Another boy stayed with him while the other kids searched for help. Responders were able to practice emergency medical treatment and patient removal, off-road utility vehicle response, K-9 search, and personnel rehab and support services.

..."

Second attempt to post

Edited by RememberSchiff
remove whitespace

Found another CT Boy Scout Troop 7 working Requirement 7.... Great photos

The Connecticut Department of Transportation issued a reminder   of their  simulated rail accident training drill will occur on Saturday, September 14, 2019 between 9:00 – 11:00 a.m. in New Haven. The drill, which will appear and sound realistic, will take place as part of ongoing safety training, practice, reinforcement, and refinement exercises designed to achieve the highest level of safety along the CTrail Hartford Line and Shore Line East. The drill will include volunteer passengers, including children, who will take the role of passengers injured as the result of a simulated head-on collision with another train. The simulation will include actual calls to on-duty emergency responders (fire and police), who will travel to the scene and work to rescue simulated accident victims.

According to the CTDOT, the drill is required by the Federal Railroad Administration, but is “an important component of CTDOT’s ongoing safety training and reinforcement practice.”

“The simulated accident […] is designed to reinforce and fine-tune the efficacy of emergency response protocols of train crews, dispatchers, first-responders, and others, as well as the coordination and real-life application of communication and chain-of-command protocols. This drill supplements the extensive and ongoing training for all involved groups.”

– CTDOT

source links:

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-haven/ctdot-runs-rail-accident-simulation-training-drill-boy-scouts-volunteer-as-injured-passengers/

https://portal.ct.gov/DOT/News-from-the-Connecticut-Department-of-Transportation/2019/REMINDER---CTDOT-ANNOUNCES-RAIL-ACCIDENT-SIMULATION-TRAINING-DRILL-FOR-SATURDAY

• 4 years later...

I'm an Counselor for E Prep. 

Rqmt 7a is easily met by participation in a school fire or shooter drill.   But what do I do with a home schooled boy?   I tried to connect to our county E Dept, they said they were going to do a drill now (Balloon Fiesta) but never got back to me, even when I emailed them in advance.  I'm looking for a way to meet the rqmt that doesn't rely of the county govt, got any suggestions?

Contact me at HH-Co7@comcast.net

Vince, Albuquerque

35 minutes ago, VinceABQ said:

Rqmt 7a is easily met by participation in a school fire or shooter drill.   But what do I do with a home schooled boy?   I tried to connect to our county E Dept, they said they were going to do a drill now (Balloon Fiesta) but never got back to me, even when I emailed them in advance.  I'm looking for a way to meet the rqmt that doesn't rely of the county govt, got any suggestions?

Vince, Albuquerque

Wish I could help, but after reading the actual words of the the requirement I am even more confused now. Is this participation in a project or an emergency drill? What does "a real one" mean. A real drill or a real project? A real drill or practice drill? Like I said I am even more confused.

(a) Take part in an emergency service project, either a real one or a practice drill, with a Scouting unit or a community agency.

15 hours ago, VinceABQ said:

Vince, Albuquerque

Our town use to include the scouts in emergency prep drills, but then liability became an issue for a real emergency. Tornadoes are common around here. Leaving youth out of the process is safer and less risky for the community.

Barry

On a personal note, Albuquerque is home to me. I lived near the Sandia mountains as a youth. 

Welcome @VinceABQ!  

Spent lots of time at Kirtland AFB, and also skied Sandia quite a bit.

15 hours ago, VinceABQ said:

I'm looking for a way to meet the rqmt that doesn't rely of the county govt, got any suggestions?

You do not have to rely on local government to come up with something.  For the purposes of the MB (I am a counselor), whether the Scout is homeschooled or not, I would first ask the Scout for some ideas on how to complete this requirement.  (It does not say who has to come up with the "emergency service project".)

We had a similar situation with a Scout.  While completing requirement 6.c.  the Scout learned that our disaster prep folks had about 500 emergency preparedness brochures sitting in boxes (for years).  They had no one to distribute them.  The Scout asked if he could do this as a volunteer community service and for the MB.  The disaster prep folks loved the idea.  That was taxpayer money sitting there going to waste.

So, the Scout organized a hike through several neighborhoods with his Patrol, and canvassed 500 homes handing out brochures (or leaving them on doorsteps, as it is illegal to put stuff in mailboxes.)  They had some great conversations with people about emergency preparedness.

And our neighborhood folks were quite pleased with seeing Scouts out in uniform, engaging with the public. (YMMV)

Can you imagine how long (distance-wise) that took?  In hindsight, the Scouts could have logged a 10-mile hike for Hiking MB. 😜 

I'm ex-DOE and used to work on KAFB also.  That's a good idea about a project.  

I'm a story teller, so here's one from ScouterMag I got years ago that's an E Prep Project

There was a Troop in a Kansas city what had a lot of Vietnamese boys.  A Viet family in town had died because they use a charcoal BBQ inside.

The Viet Scouts personally called every Viet sounding name in the telephone book and explained the risks to people in their own language.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Eagledad said:

Our town use to include the scouts in emergency prep drills, but then liability became an issue for a real emergency. Tornadoes are common around here. Leaving youth out of the process is safer and less risky for the community.

Barry

On a personal note, Albuquerque is home to me. I lived near the Sandia mountains as a youth. 

I'm an  Sandia Asst District Commissioner, one of my Unit Commissioners owns Cedar Crest Tire

• 3 months later...

CERT volunteers, Boy Scouts learn how to setup, run emergency shelters

On Saturday, Rozelle, the Red Cross’ shelter lead for Fairfield and New Haven counties (CT), provided training on setting up, running and closing emergency shelters for Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT) from Monroe and Trumbull and Monroe Boy Scout Troop 63.

John Goyette, scoutmaster of Monroe’s Boy Scout Troop 63, said his scouts logged service hours, while working toward their Emergency Preparedness Badges. “And it’s good to give back to the community,” he said of their attending Saturday’s (4 hour) CERT training.

More at source:

https://themonroesun.com/cert-volunteers-boy-scouts-learn-how-to-setup-run-emergency-shelters/

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Prattville, AL: 

The participants from BSA Troop 25 participated in a practice drill with the Prattville Fire Department (PFD) and Autauga County Emergency 911 Communication Center.

Members of the PFD Sergeant Zach Gibbons and Captain Kyle Brock began by discussing the Incident command structure for handling an emergency situation. Additional members of PFD assisted with individual instructions for the Scouts on how to shut off service to home water and electrical, as well as how to safely mark them in a disaster situation and inform responders upon arrival.

“This event is very important to help encourage youth to understand how the community operates together to respond to emergencies when they happen. The knowledge these scouts have learned here today will hopefully translate not only into a better prepared citizen, but also one that will step in to fulfill one of these responder roles in the future,” Gillespie said.

Members of the 911 center, Emily Herring and Caleb McGowin, were on hand to explain to the Scouts what the purpose and role 911 plays during an emergency and how the process initiates, with a call to the center from an impacted member of the community, to how it is dispatched to all the emergency services needed.

Once the Scouts were given the introductory information within both areas, a simulated emergency was initiated involving a tornado. The scouts were involved in receiving the call at the 911 center which started the exercise drill. Once the 911 process was completed the scouts then moved to the training aids at the rear of the fire station and executed the proper shutoff and shutdown procedures as needed.

I like how this merit badge class was put together not only content and actual facilities but also use of the Adult Association method.

https://elmoreautauganews.com/2024/03/11/boy-scout-troop-25-takes-emergency-preparedness-to-the-next-level/ 

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1

Cinnaminson, NJ: Another example - scouts portraying victims in a mass casualty drill

During the (mass casualty) drill, which was designed to simulate a high-intensity emergency situation on NJ TRANSIT’s River LINE, the Boy Scouts pretended to be the victims of the staged transportation accident. The exercise aimed to test the response capabilities of local emergency services, including first responders, transit police, and medical personnel.

The drill scenario involved a mock collision between a car and a train, requiring a coordinated response from multiple agencies.

Troop 13's involvement provided a unique learning opportunity for the scouts, immersing them in the intricacies of emergency response protocols and the importance of preparedness in the face of unforeseen events. The Scouts, who even put on makeup to simulate injuries, were tasked with acting out various roles, ranging from the injured to the critically wounded. This setup provided a realistic challenge for the emergency responders, testing their ability to triage and manage a large amount of victims efficiently.

Sources:

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/bordentown/sections/giving-back/articles/bordentown-boy-scouts-learn-response-skills-in-river-line-drill

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/bordentown/sections/burlington-county-news/articles/nj-transit-to-perform-emergency-training-on-river-line

• Thanks 1