Tuck it in!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had 2 kids show up at the pack meeting tonight with their shin guards and cleats on (rubber cleats) and their scout shirts...but the shirts were tucked in....how could you do anything but laugh to

Are they Gonna Require Underwear Next? I don't see it listed on the Uniform Inspection Sheet

CoH last night. Moose Patrol is in charge of the ceremony. MP PL is a Scout of 3 years membership. He assigns 4 boys to the colorguard and I hear him help them thru the routine. They wait with the

Shoe laces???? I was teaching my new scout about knots. I asked him if he was Prepared with a piece of rope/string. Nope, I thought I saw him wearing the thick soled canvas gym shoes that are popular. I offered up, "Why not use a shoe lace?" Much to my surprise, no laces! :( How do kids today keep 1) their shoes on, or 2) avoid blisters caused by loose rubbing shoes?

Stosh

I'm saddened when I think about uniforms. I feel that the boys have really lost something key to scouting. The uniform method has no chance.

The BSA really screwed this up somehow, a long time ago.....

Shoe laces???? I was teaching my new scout about knots. I asked him if he was Prepared with a piece of rope/string. Nope, I thought I saw him wearing the thick soled canvas gym shoes that are popular. I offered up, "Why not use a shoe lace?" Much to my surprise, no laces! :( How do kids today keep 1) their shoes on, or 2) avoid blisters caused by loose rubbing shoes?

Stosh

What I really don't get are the socks that don't even make it to the top of their shoes. You see a kid walking around looking like he's not wearing socks with his uniform, ask him about it, and he has to pretty much surgically extract a pinchful of sock up over the top of the shoe to prove he is.

We're a long way from knee socks...

Are they Gonna Require Underwear Next? I don't see it listed on the Uniform Inspection Sheet :)
If it's not on the inspection sheet they get to go commando--just ask my boys.

Of course my oldest also asked a district official why he couldn't take a skinny dipping merit badge. Gotta love teen boys, can't live with them; can't turn them into newts!

I'm saddened when I think about uniforms. I feel that the boys have really lost something key to scouting. The uniform method has no chance.

Maybe adding a "uniform method" in 1982 to the other 7 methods of Scouting was the screw-up. Back then, most of us we still wore our neckers untucked, outside the collar. :)

I didn't know the uniform method showed up in 1982. That said, as a scout in the 70s, uniforms weren't cool, neckers weren't cool, groovy 70s guys walking around in shirts with no collars wasn't cool :). I can't really speak to uniforms before that, and I think we had this discussion in some other thread, but I wonder if the protests against Viet Nam in the 60s/70s didn't have more to do with the demise of uniforming than anything else.

Stosh

A Scout is thrifty. :)
King Ding Dong commented

Today, 12:19 AM

See anything about tied bootlaces on that sheet ?

Nope...just Shoes. Leather or canvas, neat and clean No Mention of Shoe Laces.. I thought everyone went to Velcro years ago

I stopped Mom from buying the boys the Velcro shoes a couple of years ago. Fine motor skills and knot tying are good. Velcro only good for position patches. :)

CoH last night. Moose Patrol is in charge of the ceremony. MP PL is a Scout of 3 years membership. He assigns 4 boys to the colorguard and I hear him help them thru the routine. They wait with the flags outside the door for the word to begin. All have Scout shirt and Troop necker, look correctly "patched". One has "official" Scout pants, one dark green Scout pant clones, one long dark blue jeans, One is a new Scout ( new to the Troop) in stripped shorts and shirt hanging out. I lean in to him and say, quietly, "Nice shorts. Tuck in your shirt!". He JUMPS! and tucks it in. Turns out he was the CG captain, to say the commands. All goes well, otherwise.

• Upvote 1

What's funny is that a few scouts in the troop and a Webelos scout in the pack have dads who were in the program "back in the day" and still had their green, collar-less shirts. The boys wear them now and the rest of the boys think they are retro cool. Go figure.

I'm going to have to go dig through my closet for my soon to be retirement gold mine :). Maybe I can find a gold peace sign necklace to hang down as well.
CoH last night. Moose Patrol is in charge of the ceremony. MP PL is a Scout of 3 years membership. He assigns 4 boys to the colorguard and I hear him help them thru the routine. They wait with the flags outside the door for the word to begin. All have Scout shirt and Troop necker' date=' look correctly "patched". One has "official" Scout pants, one dark green Scout pant clones, one long dark blue jeans, One is a new Scout ( new to the Troop) in stripped shorts and shirt hanging out. I lean in to him and say, quietly, "Nice shorts. Tuck in your shirt!". He JUMPS! and tucks it in. Turns out he was the CG captain, to say the commands. All goes well, otherwise.[/quote']

Sometimes all it takes is a Simple Command...Silence is taken as Consent. I see it and Hear it all the Time at work "been Doing this for "x" Long and No One else has Complained Before"

Scouts are the Same way..if No one Corrects them They think it okay..Back in my Youth Days, we were expected to Listen to adults and Adjust our Behavior..today People are afraid to step on Toes and Correct things when Needed.

Sometimes a verbal reminder works great and lead to some stepping on toes moments. However, 99% of the time I wear the full uniform, but that's expected because I'm an adult. :) However, once when I was having problems with less than full uniforms and not being tucked in. I came out of my tent with my shirt mis-buttoned, a baseball cap, shirt untucked, etc. etc. I got all kinds of looks from the boys. No one said anything until it came time to go down for morning flags and the SPL came up to me and said, enough is enough, you've made your point. But I answered back, my class B t-shirt under my uniform was tucked in. He smiled, turned around and called for uniform inspection before we went down for flags. :) I don't think he ever had to do that again.

Stosh