My son was tapped out for OA 2 weekends ago, and I have heard people talking about sleeping in bivy sacs. What is the most economical way to do this, without perhaps purchasing something you might not use again, unless it's for when you make vigil? I remember using a tube tent when I was hitchhiking around Europe. The camp is close to 8,000 feet in elevation, and we do seem to be getting more weather then we usually do for this time of the year. I guess I should ask what is allowed? Conclave is in 3 Saturday's.

'round here they are only allowed to bring a sleeping bag and pad. No tents. If the weather turns really harsh, they've been known to put them under some form of shelter (rifle range, archery range, picnic shelters, etc.). Mild weather is just considered part of the challenge. Our guys usually take a poncho or groundcloth, rope and possibly something they can form into a pole to make a shelter.

No tents in this area either. Have your SON talk to his Troop OA rep or contact his local Lodge Advisor and ask what he needs to bring.

When my son did his, it rained during the night so they picked up and moved under the rifle range shelter. It probably would have worked out better if they had thought to sweep aside the spent casing that were left there! ;)

When he was called out, he should have been given information on what to bring. Bring that...no more, no less. Ditto what others said about inclement weather...they usually watch for that and have a plan B in mind.

Dittos, no tents on our ordeals.

go to the home improvement giant corporate box store and get a thick plastic sheet roll. the kind used to protect stuff when you paint. cut it a little longer than your bag and 2.5 times wider. Then fold in half and duct tape the seam. If weather is good, use it as a ground cloth. If it rains/snows, slide inside. The thicker it is, the longer it will last. It ain't perfect, but you will only need it one night and its supposed to be an ordeal.

I just found out the new OA candidates can go to this months OA meeting, tonight, so that should answer these questions. I agree this needs to be an adventure for the candidates, and know it will be memorable. Thanks for the comments...

GernBlansten,

I remember making a tube tent like that when I went hitchhiking in the UK. I ended up only needing it the first night when I took the train from London to Cambridge (forget hitchhiking out of London). It was a very special night for me, back then, and this will be no different for him. Thanks.

Ditto to Gern. Usually a "groundcloth" is listed as something to bring. A lightweight 6 x 8 plastic tarp can be folded in half to lay on as a groundcloth or slipped between to protect from ground below and weather above.

Most bivy sacks are pricey.

As scoutldr noted, he should have a gear list. The Ordeal team will take care of him if the weather turns bad. I did mine in the snow with just a sleeping bag and tarp and had no problems.

Ed

Am a little surprised by some of the answers.

Any way.

Your son should be given a list of what he needs during the Ordeal. In my area, the 'ordeal' lasts from Friday night to the induction ceremony on Saturday night. After this, your son can sleep in a tent/sleeping bag, etc on Saturday night. (I wish I knew that when I went thru the OA years ago...)

Please don't think that means he leaves on Saturday night. He should stay until Sunday for the lodge meeting, etc. (this is the norm around here). Am a little tired of people coming to the Ordeal and leaving after the ceremony. While the 'ordeal' is over, the Ordeal Weekend goes thru Sunday and everyone should stay till its over.

I appreciate that statment, Emb021... just as all weekend campouts should be 2 nights, and this one of all of them should be as well. I talked with a friend who went thru with her son, last year, about it and she said that it was annoying that many of the new members left after dinner on Saturday. You should be so tired, you don't even want to get behind the wheel until after that 2nd night of sleep. Sunday morning should be a time to reflect having gone thru this process, and perhaps having a little ownership of the place after that 2nd nights, but under canvas this time. I am going thru this with my son, in case I failed to mention that, but we'll be in seperate work parties.

I went through the ordeal with my son also. Ours was tied to summer camp. We got tapped out on a wednesday evening, hiked around in the dark until O'dark thirty. Did our work day Thursday at the camp, ceremony that night and late dinner/reception at the dining hall. Hiked back to our troop emcampment and passed out. Finished out summer camp with the troop.

Our region is heavily LDS. I think even on the weekend conclave Cony party ordeals, they finish up saturday evening so everyone can get home in deference to their faith. Nobody stays until Sunday unless they make arrangements.

My brothers...

We should be pointing this parent to his Chapter or Lodge Advisor, and to his unit OATR (especially for the son to ask the right question, per ScoutNut).

We are supposed to keep what happens in the Ordeal away from Candidates, and we're getting awfully close to spilling beans here!!!

ICS, John

Thanks, after I posted this question, I ended up getting the scoup from an OA scouter friend. The bivy sac will work, and SG has some decent, inexpensive ones. They will come in handy for those leaky canvas tents at summer camp, as well. Thanks for the advice and concern, but it was more a gear question then any concern for his well being. He is looking forward to this.