GAWD!...it has been an overworked topic, hasn't it. I think there has been some thread about it going on these forums since I joined in 2003. It's not just a controversial topic, it's a flippin' obsession!

Now, should I click on that banner ad for Brokeback Mountain Dude Ranch or not??

If the whole Issues & Politics (what does this have to do with scouting?) sub-forum disappeared on "Mischief Night" (Halloween Eve), I would praise the goblins, until then I am grateful for the AdBlocker Plus plugin for Firefox.

My 2 Hershey bars and let it snow for Halloween!

The forum members have complete control of this, same as what they watch on television. Don't participate. Don't read it. Don't respond to it.

It's that simple.

See...every time I read complaints like this, the only conclusion I can conclude is that the complaint is REALLY about the fact that the person making the complaint can't control their own urge to jump right into one of these threads. No will power. Fact is, those who complain the loudest might just be the ones who enjoy this stuff the most and what they really want is for someone else to control their life and make the decision about what to discuss...for them.

So I ask you, do you REALLY want someone else to control what you read or talk about? Really?

Our differing and often emotional opinions on non-scout topics tend to pull us apart and spillover into scout sub-forums which I do read.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't say that I have heard anyone talk about politics, religion, sex, ... at troop meetings, roundtable, or any scouting activity. Maybe scouting is where we go to get away from that stuff. Some fish, some golf, some scout.

Seems there are plenty of other internet locations to rant about that non-scout stuff.

But that my 2 cents, don't like hearing my opinion you can always squelch me :)

Yah, anybody remember rec.scouting? When yeh don't have a place for this stuff somebody inevitably hijacks da scouting-related threads with it. So havin' it sandboxed here I reckon is a reasonable solution, though I'm sensitive to RememberSchiff's thought that it can spill into da scouting areas, or drive people away.

For me, I find it a bit entertainin', eh? Shows that Scouting is actually a wonderful cross-section of America, with folks from all sides and da broad middle. And it illustrates how frayed our national fabric has become, when even folks who share a common passion for good deeds, solid citizenship, and helping kids can get so knotted up on this stuff.

Personally, I'd rather folks come here than go off to one of da echo chambers where some demagogue of da right or left can whip 'em into a frenzy where they forget that our fellow citizens who may disagree with us aren't evil conspirators set to bankrupt us / undermine the constitution. They're just fellow scouters with different views tryin' to work through what's right in a complimicated situation.

Besides, da image of Twocubdad in a rainbow tutu is one that's goin' to keep me laughin' all day. :)

Beavah

Hmmm...I saw this thread as light hearted banter so I didn't get my tutu all in a wad about it.

I will say that I enjoy the Bad Idea ads, so I think it would be a Bad Idea to do anything to stop those ads from propagating onto my screen. So here's one more for the search engines: bad idea!

I agree with Beavah on this. However...on reflection I feel like I'm missing something. I have not seen a single one of those Bad Idea ads, nor really anything else that might be associated with something unsavory. I don't even know what 'Bad Idea' would be an ad for, for that matter.

Right this moment, I'm seeing an ad for Chevrolet. Sure, it is a French-sounding word but other than that and the fact that a bunch of incompetent jerks at GM walked away with a lot of undeserved pay, I don't see the problem.

Yah, maybe da magical ad fairy thinks you're gay, packsaddle. ;). Da Bad Idea ads feature a young hottie that yeh clearly wouldn't be interested in. Alas' Bad Idea seems to be a T-shirt place featuring hundreds of mostly amusing, slightly risqu slogans. Just da sort of thing to tickle da imagination of a teen lad or old fart scouter.

Right now for some reason I'm gettin' nuthin' but yacht cruise ads.