Lisabob, maybe it is you who misinterpreted what I said. I was making a generalized statement about our nation as a whole not this thread as a specific. I gave my opinions and asked for them in return. I respect everyone's right to their opinion. I may not agree with it, but I respect it all the same. I wanted to see what other's thoughts about the subject are. One certainly doesn't have to agree with my veiwpoint. Thanks again.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe so, Eagle, in which case let me apologize for any misunderstanding. But even if you are generalizing to a wider public, where does your impression come from? It doesn't seem to match with what I'm hearing people (even off the forum) say. I haven't heard any news reports that basically said "cool...she flubbed it" or "those fidgety players behaved appropriately" or anything like that?

Then again, I also don't watch much TV so it is entirely possible that I just missed it. I just am kind of wondering if this isn't becoming a "kids these days!" kind of a thing? Easy to get worked up about, even though most people actually agree with you?

I get my impressions from my own observations and what I have seen in the media (which I take with a bag of salt). It seems to me that our nation has taken a flippant attitude toward symbols of freedom. Atheletes wear the flag on their uniforms and helmets but disrespect it by their actions during the national anthem. Politicians stand when the anthem is played but care not to place their hand over their heart. Again, these are just a few of my many observations.

Perhaps tha majority of the American people are so cynical after 10 years of being beaten over the head with the false patriotism of the post-911 years that we're tuning out. We have one political party who screams they're more patriotic than the other and uses that as a bludgeon to get people to vote for them, all the while not actually walking the talk. We have people who believe patriotism means "you're either with us or against us" and you're less of a citizen if you dare criticize the politicians that those people support. We have people who suggested the most patriotic duty citizens could do after 911 was to go out and shop. People may not know what true patriotism is anymore, but they know that what is being passed off as patriotism isn't it.

Many professional singers have stated the National Anthem is one of the hardest songs to sing. Knowing that, don't you think a professional would make an attempt to make sure they actually knew the words or at least had them in front of them?

No excuse for not knowing the words.

Yes, I too am chagrined. I would have expected better from someone who is both an American and a professional singer. Still, I have a couple of questions:

1) What does this say about the awareness of American heritage in our youth?

2) As it is Tuesday morning and we're still hearing about this in the media, I have to ask - what are they expecting us to ignore?

Well, we went this far with this topic, I have to broach another related one. The reading of the Declaration of Independence by NFL Playes, Ex-players and coaches and the people they were standing with. Other that finding out that Art Donavan is still alive, what was the purpose?

To make people think the SuperBowl is All American?

Its just a football game played by millionaires who can't get along with billionaires

Wait a minute, it maybe more American than I thought, class warfare at its best

Well, we went this far with this topic, I have to broach another related one. The reading of the Declaration of Independence by NFL Playes, Ex-players and coaches and the people they were standing with. Other that finding out that Art Donavan is still alive, what was the purpose?

To make people think the SuperBowl is All American?

Its just a football game played by millionaires who can't get along with billionaires

Wait a minute, it maybe more American than I thought, class warfare at its best

Not to hijack the thread.

But....

"To make people think the Super Bowl is All American?"

I have a bit of a problem when they talk about the winners being the: "World Champions"???

Anyway.

Used to be when I was a nipper in England that they played God Save The Queen in the movie theater after the feature film. Of course this was back when you had a "B" film, Pathe News and local ads. Great value for half a crown!

Please don't tell anyone but very often I find myself adding "Play Ball" when the "Home of the Brave" is done.

Not out loud, just that stray little thought that sneaks in.

You know, I think the lack of respect and attention during the National anthem is a football player thing. Last time I saw a Giants game (baseball) in Pac Bell Park everyone stood up, put their hand over their heart, and at least hummed along. The players were all lined up on the field with their hand's over their heart's.

They even had someone local to sing.

Check me if I'm wrong but the salute during the anthem wasn't made part of the code until 2007. Could be they just don't know.

On the other hand, in this solidly Republican and so-called Conservative region, I regularly see businesses and private homes with American flags that are left up at night and through all kinds of bad weather. I know of several at this moment that are literally in shreds, barely recognizable. In several locations, including one neighbor, they fly the Confederate flag on the same staff and ABOVE the American Flag. Keep in mind...these are hardened Tea Party types too. The flag code doesn't seem to mean much.

Pack,

There is a classification of flags, for lack of a better word, called All Weather Flags, that are designed to be flown in all weather conditions. I do have one of those in my front yard, and a "spare" that I keep for camping activities.

I don't think CA forgot, or didn't know the words to the national anthem, as many have assumed. I think she was so caught up in her vocal acrobatics, that she simply lost her place.

What bugs me is we have an entire generation of young vocalists who actually believe that senseless un-melodic warbling constitutes SOUL. Seriously. Although I don't have all her recordings, I can't ever recall Aretha Franklin ever doing that crap. She sings with power, an intangible fire. THAT is soul.