I agree acco. The thing that really chaps my shorts about Merlyn's argument is the culpability is on both sides - the BSA for offering the charter and the government agency for entering into it. Yet Merlyn castrates the BSA and does nothing to the government agency.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acco,

Isn't that the same case where after some time, the state changed that stretch of hiway's name to "DR.Martin Luther King Jr Hiway"...or some other prominant civil rights activist's name?

The KKK pretty much droped the effort dur to the embarrassment of maintaining THAT stretch of hiway?

Maybe not the same instance, but I both read inpapers and heard on radio about that happening somewhere about 5 years ago.

Ed, lets say you and I and NJCubSCouter meet.

Both of you pull out guns and shoot me.

From that point, are you saying that no one could say "Ed shot OGE" rather they would always have to say "Ed and NJCubScouter shot OGE"?

Because to say Ed shot OGE was wrong?

You didnt shoot me?

I can see it in the future, your kids go to school and someone says, Hey, didnt your Dad shoot OGE? And you kid says, you are a liar, my Dad did not shoot OGE, NJCubScouter and my Dad shot OGE

Does that make sense?

Like Old Grey Eagle I have tried to look away. I understand Merlyn's point. And NJCubScouter's (who by the way seems to maintain a great sense of humor, I like that). Maybe I should not say anything but I am an atheist and I am in scouting. In fact BSA embraces my membership because I am pursuing Buddhism. What is the big deal? If BSA lets me be a member, why not an atheist who is not pursuing Buddhism? What is the difference?

I am going to continue to look away from the thread on the 1st Amendment, that will actually be easy.

I hope no one ever shoots Old Grey Eagle.

Acco40, "In much the same way, if the KKK (or Buddhists & blankets) asked to meet at the school and help wash the windows for free, some would object."

I hope it was not your intent to equate Buddhists with the KKK. I didn't know much about the KKK until I arrived here but the spirit (if not the organization) is still strong. No Buddhist I know would embrace such hatred.

No, I wasn't trying to equate Buddhists with Klansmen except to point out that regardless of "good deeds" - some would take issue with certain groups based on their core beliefs.