Civil Air Patrol & BSA dual charter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all Merlyn, tell me do you sometimes feel like Don Quixote, constantly tilting at windmills over things no one really gives a crap about. Have that glass of wine allowing you to calm down, then you can go out and get a life and some worthwhile causes to fight for. Good luck to you.

Yeah, that's the usual cycle here -- someone insists over and over that this or that group really can practice religious discrimination by chartering a BSA unit, and then totally switches gears and says it doesn't matter, and why don't I do something useful and get a life.

That's what happened with military sponsorship, and public school charters, and now CAP. And other people keep insisting that preventing my own government from discriminating against atheists really isn't important at all. And all the people who try and tell me this belong to an organization that discriminates against atheists.

And your Don Quixote comparison isn't apt, because I've actually helped stop thousands of unlawful charters. My efforts are by no means fruitless.

AHHH you see yourself as a one man caped crusader fighting against the evil BSA.

"I have helped stop thousands of illegal charters", man Merlyn do you hear what you are saying? Living in a delusion must be a wonderful thing for you to justify your cause without a cause or any real substance. Say mer do have a batcave to wage this holy war of yours against what, taking scouting away from youth that could have learned some good skills and had some fun, wow what an accomplishment. I truly feel sorry for you, misguided, bitter, and deeply troubled person that you are.

BadenP, I compiled a list of thousands of illegal public school charters and gave them to Adam Schwartz of the Illinois ACLU. He wrote this letter ( http://www.aclu-il.org/news/archives/bsaletter.pdf ) to the BSA, telling them to stop issuing charters to public schools or the ACLU would start filing lawsuits. Clark Farrer, the BSA's Director of Registration, replied with this letter ( http://www.aclu-il.org/news/archives/bsaletter2.pdf ) where the BSA agreed to end all charters to public schools.

That stopped about 9,000 public school charters. In Texas (BSA's home base), 25% of all Cub Scout Packs were chartered by public schools.

So yes, I HAVE helped stop thousands of illegal BSA charters. You're the one who's delusional.

On this issue, I happen to agreew with Merlyn, given the facts presented here. But I wish the ACLU would go after those who throw cigarrette butts out their car windows...an issue I DO care deeply about and could provoke me to violence one day.

Well, Merlyn,

You fit the modnern internet connotation of a Troll.

I have a rule about trolls, from my days posting in various usenet fora: Don't feed them.

While you may have purpose to folks who follow your agenda, my sole perception of your purpose here is to rile those of us who care about Scouting. You succeed all too often. I'm not going to fall into your trap anymore.

If your writings show up in a post, then mine shall not.

I agree with John in KC. I have seen so many times where Merlyn loses arguments but continues to attack. He does this just to make us angry. I doubt that anyone on this forum goes to atheist websites to cause trouble. Any sympathy that I had for his position is long since gone. He is only interested in the non-establishment clause of the 1st Amendment but likes to ignore that the free exercise clause follows that prohibits congress to limit religious expression. I have gone back to the founding fathers words and deeds to point out how the constitution's meaning has been twisted. I find him a sad person to revel in denying scouting to our youth. I think that everyone should ignore his posts.

On my honor, I pledge to ignore all posts by people who post in the "Issues & Politics" forum over 75% of the time and provide virtually no useful information to anyone about anything (until such time as I decide to change my mind and jump on someone for being a moron :-)

Sheesh, people here don't even know what an internet troll is...

Sorry, I'm not posting off-topic (unlike most of the recent threads in I&P which have nothing connected to scouting), and I'm certainly not losing the argument. Handwaving can't remove constitutional problems.

vol_scouter, I'm not forgetting about the free exercise clause, and I'm certainly not stopping anyone. But the only outfit "denying scouting to our youth" is the BSA itself.

And that's why organizations like CAP can't charter Venture Crews.

Merlyn

May you relish in your hollow, lonely, and empty quest to rid the world of the BSA. You will fail in the end, but the damage you do along the way will come back to haunt you in the end and be your final epitaph. You must have had a very bad experience with the BSA in your past that fuels your anger to such extreme levels. Depriving youth of the scouting experience because of some minor legal technicality is nothing more than spiteful and vindictive, and certainly nothing to be proud of. I truly do feel sorry for you.

BadenP, I'm stopping my own government from practicing the BSA's bigoted discrimination against atheists. I know you don't consider atheists to have civil rights, but the courts are on my side.

Civil rights are not a "minor legal technicality," and it's the BSA's policies that are "depriving youth of the scouting experience," so I suggest if you want to improve the situation, convince the BSA to change their bigoted policies. Until they do, I'll work to remove all the illegal charters I can find.

And the fact that what you are doing is in your mind a good thing, you really have missed the whole point, sad, sad, sad.

I am through with your diatribes of self righteous stupidity, you really do need to get some professional help Merlyn, and very soon. Don Quixote and yourself do have an awful lot in common, especially self delusion.

To dream the impossible dream!

And by the same token, stopping government discrimination against atheists is a bad thing in your view. Like I said, you don't think atheists even have civil rights.

When public schools had to drop BSA charters, you said "what a sad and tragic society that allows this kind of activity to take place." You whined back then, you're whining now.

Geez the personal attacks. Sounds like Congress.

Merlyn has a point. Anyone with a keen legal mind may want to consider the following.

When the Boy Scouts of America was Chartered in 1916 under Sec. 30902. Purposes, it clearly states.

The purposes of the corporation are to promote, through organization, and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others, to train them in scoutcraft, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods that were in common use by boy scouts on June 15, 1916.

If other agencies mean governmental agencies like the Civil Air Patrol then the BSA may be indeed precluded from ANY discrimination policies contrary to US government agencies its chartered to cooperate with.

Clearly the US government has gone through many changes with respect to discrimination practices since 1916. Has the BSA been in sync?