The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America New Rule for Pastors

There just seems to be 'no pleasing' everyone when it comes to religion. I am reminded of that wonderful quote. "The purpose of religion isn't to bring people together."

Once in a while, in this unit, one of those situations arises with a religious reference (prayer, usually) that only applies to some flavor of Christianity. I have asked the boys who are Jewish or Buddhist (we don't have a Muslim just now) how they feel about it. They just shrug it off, as noted by Skeptic.

Most of the time, there is no religious reference whatsoever, partly because no one thinks about it and partly because we understand that something very generic basically isn't very meaningful to anyone.

The Buddhists are interesting. I have talked with the parents and they very kindly forgive the "thoughtlessness" of the others (their term). One Jewish parent rolled her eyes and said, "we've come to expect this kind of thing in the Bible Belt"...not exactly the positive reactions one would like.

"The purpose of religion isn't to bring people together."

Indeed.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I wonder what that says to the Jewish scouter. or the Buddhist. or the Muslim."

Bando, I've known a Jewish scouter that got very upset he felt an evangelical prayer had been "shoved down his throat." I knew another who was pretty philosophical about it. Can't tell you about Muslims. I don't consider myself a Buddhist anymore but you're never really not a Buddhist once you embark on the way - my reaction is, "ah, well, that is their path. How interesting."

Vicki

I think Vickie's got it right: individual responses will vary.

I've seen Jewish individuals just not care; others have, in similar situations. Myself, I was once very offended when I discovered at a convention that the only meal being served was pork! That's a bit like only serving meat on Fridays during Lent. . . you just have to be considerate!

As a Catholic, I sometimes grit my teeth hearing some of the more evangelical expostulations. But it's a part of being grown-up and mature; we live in a society with many different kinds of people.

Eagledad, I guess so. Another set of Jewish parents in this town years ago met with school officials to object to Christian prayers in the classroom. The school had their sons sitting in the hallway during the prayers thereafter. You think their experience hasn't been spread throughout the community? You better believe it.

Incidentally, just where is the 'heart' of the Bible belt? I've always wondered where it was.

I would hope that I would never go out of my way to hurt or upset people.

At times I get a little lost, not knowing what the politically term of the day is today: African American or is it Black? Native American or American Indian? So it goes on.

Last week, for work I had to attend a training given by an outside company on "Dealing with difficult people". It wasn't that great. At one stage the presenter started on about the differences between men and woman.

As you might imagine a lot of the females who work in the Department of Corrections tend to be very assertive types.

As this guy started, I sat there thinking "Hey Buddy, if I were you I just wouldn't go there!" Sure enough in less then 3 minutes he had managed to upset a good many of the woman in the room.

Having been born and raised in an Irish Catholic home, I think I was about 27 before I noticed that the entire world wasn't Irish Roman Catholic! (Joke!)

I was brought up in the belief that we (Us R/C's) Were right and everyone else was just wrong! - There was no argument about it. Even at Easter (Back then) We would pray that the Jews would one day see the light.

As a little fellow I made a point of not saying "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen" When I was at Protestant services. (Now this is part of the Mass.)

I don't pretend to understand all the rites and rituals of other religions, I have over the years become a lot more open minded and I am of course willing to respect them.

HWMBO is not R/C. We agreed before we were married that any children we had would be brought up as Roman Catholics and that when they were old enough they could choose what religion they wanted to follow. She has tagged along with me to Mass every week. It has at times caused some confusion as she lists her religion as Presbyterian and when a form asks Church attended she lists the local R/C church.

I'm not that sensitive about my religion. Which in the light of some of what has gone on with some priests molesting children, is at times hard.

I don't think that I'm as good a Catholic as my parents or my grandparents were. Maybe because I'm not willing to just accept things the way they did.

I have to admit to at times being a little uncomfortable around people who are overly religious and seem to want to change me. When that happens I tend to just close up. I think I'm worried that I might say or do something that might upset them.

To be very honest I'm happy when the dogs make a fuss when the Jehovah Witnesses or the young men from the LDS Church knock at the door! It provides me a good excuse not to have to talk with them.

When I lived in England I got into it with a very persistent member of the Jehovah Witnesses, who just wasn't going away!

I mentioned that just about every other religion seemed to do good outside of their chuch for other, the Catholics ran hospitals and looked after the sick and dying, the Jews did much the same thing as did the Protestants, but I'd never heard of the Jehovah Witnesses doing anything.

Looking back, I see that I was not being very kind, but at the time my goal was to close the door and get back to watching the telly!

Ea.

Hey John in KC,

It is Mr. I guess you might have missed the part in my post where I said I do not agree at all with the policy of the ELCA and would leave the denomination if I were part of it. I still stick with my stand that my own definition of "duty to God" may differ from others and that we should respect as long as they are not forcing their own ways on us (Me). Give people the feedom to choose their own path to God and then let the big sort it out. Scouts (and parents) make a choice with picking a Troop/Church/Synagogue etc to join. Our country was founded on a belief in God and the freedom to choose how we express that belief.

What a humorous thread....

Everyone is in an uproar about the ELCA allowing homosexual pastors...well if BSA wants to drop the ELCA as a sponsor...fire away...

But for heavens sake, don't watchdog the other religious organizations that have far bigger problems...

Comical....

"To be very honest I'm happy when the dogs make a fuss when the Jehovah Witnesses or the young men from the LDS Church knock at the door! It provides me a good excuse not to have to talk with them. "

My mother told me long ago the best way to rid the doorstep of Jehovah Witnesses and LDS is to pull out your flag and ask them to say the Pledge of Allegiance with you...apparently it is a sore point with both religions. I haven't tried it...

At my ward's (LDS) scouting events we begin every meeting with the Pledge. It's not a sore spot for us. When the local Baptist minister stopped by to share his message with my family (and they weren't home) I let him say his prayer with me on the doorstep. It's the least I can do for somebody who is doing what they can to serve God and his fellowman. I even offered some water, but he had to get to the next house.

Part of BP's goal was that we as citizens of the world learned we're all in this together. We're to help and support each other as best we can. Our personal bigotry gets in the way and it's defeats the purpose.

I don't know that I'd cite BP's "goal was that we as citizens of the world learned we're all in this together..." since is is known that BP embraced fascism, and is cited by Jeal as writing in his diary in 1939, "Lay up all day. Read Mein Kampf. A wonderful book, with good ideas on education, health, propaganda, organization etc.and ideals which Hitler does not practise himself."

BP was also an admirer of Mussolini.