Catholics Wrote the Bible?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric - right you are - I spaced that one. However, given a choice between Scientology and Pastafarianism, I'm gonna have to stick with Pastafarianism.

Now if you will all open your Bibles to the ORIGINAL translation of Jeremiah and read with me:

Jeremiah 1.1: Jeremiah was a bullfrog

Jeremiah 1.2: Jeremiah was a good friend of mine

Jeremiah 1.3: No one ever understood a word Jeremiah said

Jeremiah 1.4: But Jeremiah never minded when we helped to drink his wine.

Jeremiah 1.5: Oh yeah, Jeremiah always had some mighty fine wine.

Jeremiah 2.1: Joy to the World

Jeremiah 2.2: Joy to all the Boys and Girls now

Jeremiah 2.3: Joy to the fishies in the deep blue sea

Jeremiah 2.4: Joy to you and me.

Calico(This message has been edited by CalicoPenn)

I thought that maybe Merlyn would think that Jews and or Christians wrote the Bible. However, I thought that most Christians and Jews would think that God wrote the Bible, utilizing the hands of man. I think God may have made a mistake in that respect. My experience has taught me that on a whole, women have much better penmanship. :-)

Acco, on a slightly off-topic note to your post, I was just part of a selection committee to select the best student research presentations to represent this university at a conference. We did this with no knowledge of race or gender, only on the basis of the merits of what was written in their proposals and abstracts. Once we had the final list we peeked. It was dominated by science and engineering with a few other disciplines, no surprise, but then we looked at gender...ALL WOMEN. We shrugged - it's the look of the future, I think.

Yah, packsaddle. Trend of the future, eh?

By just about every measure - graduation rates, grades, academic interest, college matriculation rates, etc. - everything but standardized test scores - boys are falling behind girls in K-12.

Kinda scary, actually.

Beavah, if you think about it in slightly different terms, it is actually exciting. OK, I didn't necessarily mean it THAT way either.;)

But it could be that, for the first time, these opportunities really are available in an equitable manner and it could be that talents we've missed in the past (yes, perhaps because of the good-ol-boy system) are now getting an opportunity to outcompete in the market of ideas. To me it is time for the males to start doing the hard work that women are doing already and compete back. Instead of being glued to ESPN and video games.

On the other hand, that Y-chromosome really is slowly going away, only a few actual genes left and declining. Maybe with this and a little more research in molecular genetics, males won't be needed anymore anyway. As they say down the road where the guy with the tobacco juice drool flies the Confederate flag: 'Say la vis'.

Edited part: Hey Vicki, the tie part is fine, but it will be OK with me if it doesn't actually 'end'. Please?(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Beav, it's VERY scary. To me, it's symptomatic of an effort to standardize a system that needs to be as flexible as possible to accommodate different learning styles, maturation rates, and skill set differentials. Losing our boys just because they need gym class during the day is a real problem (simple example, there's more to it than that). Girls can benefit from the activity, but it's critical for boys (based on anecdotal, not empirical, evidence).

Vicki (who just wants the human race to end in a tie)

• 1 year later...

How come non-Catholics know so much about the Catholic Church?

The word Catholic is a Greek word that means Universal. The early Church fathers taught in Greek because Alexander had conquered their territories and Greek became the the language of the people. As most Catholics know, there are many references to the early universal(catholic)Church in the writings and teachings of the disciples. Non-Catholics don't usually bother reading the teachings of the early Church Fathers so they wouldn't have this knowledge, unless they devote themselves to studying the institution of the Church that Christ established. The writers of the Bible were indeed Christians (followers of Christ and His universal(CATHOLIC) Church. For the first sixteen hundred years after His death; all Christians were part of the Catholic(universal) Church. Even a Jew was a Christian if he was a follower of Christ. Martin Luther committed spiritual suicide by leaving the Universal Christian Catholic Church during the protestant reformation. All other religions are based on his false teachings. Christ established Only ONE UNIVERSAL (CATHOLIC) APOSTOLIC Church. It all took place 2000 years ago, not in the 16th century. Yes, The Bible was indeed written by Catholic men. If you were really interested in the true interpretation of the Bible, (which I strongly doubt)Then you would go to the source of all truth and read the writings of the early Church fathers, St Ignatius, St Jerome etc. These are the teachings of the Catholic Church. The true Bible reveals half the truth. The rest of the truth is revealed in Catholic tradition which is the writing and teachings of the early Church Fathers.

By the way, The New Testament was NOT written in Aramaic. The Old Testament however was originally a collection of letters written in Hebrew (which was a dialect of Aramaic). It was translated by 70 Hebrew Scholars into the language of the day (GREEK) as a commission of the Pharoah Philadelphis Ptolomy for his great Library in Alexandria. This was called the Septuagint. The New Testament was first written in common Greek which was the most wide spread language of the Roman territories. Later translated into the common (vulgar) Latin called the Vulgate by ST Jerome, who was one of the great early (Catholic) Church fathers.

Welcome to the forums ripmod! (care to explain that moniker?) You must have done some looking to resurrect this old thread. I enjoy reading these discussions but I confess that while I thought I understood some of these things back when I was trying my best to be a Presbyterian, I failed miserably. I leave it to others.

But it was a nice walk down memory lane. Hi Vicki!

Sorry ripmod but your theology is as faulty as your facts from the through brainwashing you have received from that heretical religious tradition you belong to. You are free to believe what you like but do not tell others what or how to believe, in this country we have something called religious freedom.

How come non-Lutherans know so much about Martin Luther? Luther protested (protestant) against the corruption of Rome, such as the selling of tickets to heaven (indulgences).

"It is certain that when the penny jingles into the money-box, gain and avarice can be increased, but the result of the intercession of the Church is in the power of God alone."

BadenP,

1) any theology is as authoritative as any other, since it's just different groups of humans claiming to know what god(s) want, so any description of someone else's theology as "faulty" is, necessarily, completely relative and a matter of opinion.

2) religious freedom includes the freedom to tell other people what or how to believe.