SpiralScouts offer inclusive programs.

Ed, I''m glad to hear that you would be ok with a public prayer to Thor. So what would *you* do during that prayer if it was said at a public event you were attending?

I''m still a little unclear, though, on what prayers would and would not be ok in a public school. Ed, could you share your vision of how you would see public prayer implemented if the SCOTUS ruled tomorrow that public prayer in public schools was now ok?

Just leaving out the atheists for a moment (sorry, Merlyn), how would you accommodate the diversity of religions (and subsequently, the diversity of gods to be prayed to) in the school?

I, btw, am in the camp of those who feel that if I can''t have a public prayer that is going to be spiritually meaningful to me, I''d rather not have one at all. While I will stand by quietly and respectfully at places where public prayers are being said (like scout functions), don''t expect me to join in a prayer that is not to my gods, because it''s not appropriate for me to do so. I would much rather have a moment of observed silence during which I can make my own prayers. I find it much harder to make a silent prayer when someone else is talking in the background.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

Actually a denominational neutral pray would be best, but if every public school day would start with a student led prayer of their choice, that would be fine. That should cover everyone. I might not like some of the prayers, but then other might not like prayers I do. And that''s OK! Freedom of religion & freedom of speech.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

An example of a "denominational neutral pray" please?

ED-ited part: "but if every public school day would start with a student led prayer of their choice, that would be fine. That should cover everyone. I might not like some of the prayers, but then other might not like prayers I do. And that''s OK!"

Would 'devil worshipers' be included in this?(This message has been edited by packsaddle)