SpiralScouts offer inclusive programs.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lisabob, that was a sad story and I agree with you.

I think this problem is more common that we might like to admit. I just learned that there are units in this area that will not allow their scouts to participate in events with units from certain other churches. Keep in mind that this is not racial but rather church-on-church - actually religion-on-religion. Just imagine the level of hatred toward atheists if they feel that way about other religions! And I sure hope their attention never wanders around to that second amendment...;)

Ed, how many times will you need to be corrected on statements like "prayer isn''t allowed in public schools" before you finally figure out that isn''t a true statement? Until you show that you can learn at least that much (and retain it, by not repeating the same lie a month later), there''s really no point in trying to explain anything to you.

I just saw the first local presence of the SpiralScouts the day after I saw this posting. I''d never heard of them before.

They have applied to and received permission from the state to keep a local roadway right of way clear of trash. A worthy project for any group.

As long as there are tests(and they can''t read your mind) there will be prayer in school.

A single counterexample: kids can pray over their lunch if they want.

This is not an exhaustive list; it is one counterexample, which is sufficient to show that "prayer isn''t allowed in public schools" is false.

This example has been shown to you before, which suggests you can''t learn that simple bit of information.

What does praying over lunch have to do with the examples I posted? I''ll post them again.

Ah! So if a public high school student wants to say a prayer as part of their commencement speech they can do that? And if the the student announcer at a public high school football game wants to say a prayer over the loudspeaker before the start of the game they can? And if the public high school student presenting the morning announcements over the PA system to the entire school wants to close with a prayer, they can?

Praying over lunch is a silent prayer. My examples are public prayers. You can pray silently anywhere!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Merlyn,

As you say the incorporation debate came with the 14th Amendment but if Madison wanted the First amendment to cover the States as well as Congress why didn't he write it to say that? Why is "Congress" repeatedly used to referee to the newly organized two house legislative branch and "States" used when the reference is to the individual States? Madison was a Federalist, he wanted a powerful central government yet the Bill of Rights is aimed at limiting that strong central government in very specific areas while allowing the individual states the right to govern within their respective areas. LongHaul(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

Ed, you are ineducable.

The example I posted had NOTHING to do with the questions you asked.

The example I posted FALSIFIED your earlier remark that prayer isn''t allowed in public schools.

Got that?

This is a false statement: "prayer isn''t allowed in public schools"

Stop making that statement. It''s false. But you keep perpetuating this lie, because you can''t learn things.

Once you FINALLY stop making this false statement (and don''t start saying it a month later), then I might be convinced that you can learn things.

You have yet to demonstrate that you CAN learn this simple fact.

LongHaul, who has said that Madison intended the first amendment to apply to the states? I certainly haven''t. The 14th amendment, which had nothing to do with Madison, applied the first amendment to the states. Before that, it didn''t apply.

Given Madison''s writings, he would APPROVE of state governments being subjected to the first amendment, since he considered it a good restriction on governing in general; but he didn''t write it to apply to state governments, and if he had it might not have passed.

>>The first amendment didn''t apply at all to the states until the 14th amendment and subsequent incorporation rulings. But even ignoring that, James Madison, the guy who actually WROTE the first amendment, had said it covers more than just a prohibition against a national church.<<

Merlyn, just what was it you WERE trying to convey with that statement. Where you reminding us that freedom of speech and Assembly are part of the first amendment as well? Sounded like you were saying that Madison intended the prohibition to extend to the States.

LongHaul