What did he do wrong?

Most of you know that I have no love for the Republican Party Agenda and hence the Republican Congresspersons. What bothers me even more is injustice. In reading an account of the problems Senator Larry Craig is having right now I came upon a statement that just stopped me cold. "Craig was arrested on June 11 in the Minneapolis airport men's room after an undercover officer observed conduct that he said was "often used by persons communicating a desire to engage in sexual conduct." Are the Minneapolis Police aware of the existence of what we in Chicago call "singles bars"? I wonder what would have happened if Craig had done exactly the same things in the airport lounge?

LongHaul (This message has been edited by LongHaul)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did he do wrong:

If he was innocent, he should have asked for his speedy trial and gotten it over with.

If he is guilty, he should have taken his punishment like a man, whether it be by conviction at trial or by plea agreement.

What he did wrong? He's WHINING.

I expect the people I elect to have the moral courage of their beliefs. I do not think that unreasonable.

Since Mr Craig is not mine, I hope folks in Minnesota feel the same way.

Long Haul

To answer your question 1) HE LIED 2)He is in denial about his own sexuality 3) He committed illegal acts with an undercover cop, and he has done the same thing in the past 4) Then he lied again about his actions, even his fellow GOP senators are now calling for his resignation. So, don't fall on your sword for this guy , he is not worth it.

Actually, he's a senator from Idaho. He just happened to be stopping off in Minneapolis at the time.

I'm still a little unclear as to what the actual law is here. Is it illegal to indicate to someone that you'd like to have sex with them? I'm sure that I personally wouldn't have recognized the secret signals - this is just a glimpse into a whole world I'd never really thought about as existing - a gay community with secret codes for having sex in public restrooms.

It probably is somehow illegal, and I guess it should be. I don't want any lewd conduct in airport restrooms when I'm around. It would be stronger evidence if they actually caught him in the act, though.

I think he would have been done even if he had fought the charges and won. He still would have had to explain why he was doing what he was doing. Good luck with that. His only hope was to plead guilty and hope it stayed hidden. Bzzzzt! So much for that strategy.

LongHaul,

I heard a guy make the same argument on a talk radio program today. He said, "this guy didn't do anything different than I did in college with girls at a bar." The host pointed out that that was not quite right. Asking a girl out in a bar isn't a crime. Soliciting sex in a public restroom where children can walk in is a crime. The homosexuals who cruise public resrooms for anonymous sex are not looking for someone to take home. They do it in the stall. Remember, the good Senator was concerned about missing his flight. I don't think he had time to head to a hotel and rent a room.

That being said, I don't think the case will have any legs if they take it to court. No words were spoken, no money exchanged hands and no one had sex. You can't convict someone for taping their feet or running their hand under the stall wall or touching the edge of their shoe to someone else's. Pretty flimsy evidence for an "act of lewdness".

He didn't plead guilty to it he plead guilty to a lesser charge in hope that it would go away which is exactly what would have happened if it was you or I. If I run my hand over my face and wink and you think it's a solicitation am I guilty of that crime solicitation? I think this cop jumped the gun. He probably gets away with that because people he arrests don't have the resources to make a case about it. 

Merlyn, so it's against the law to move your hand under the partition between stalls in the mens room? I wonder if the law that states this also included the womens room. The man could have walked up to a female in the lounge and out right asked her if she wanted to go off into the corner and have sex and not broken a law as long as money didn't change hands. If they did just go into the corner that would be a crime but in reality nothing happened.

So John if this was you for some reason you'd be cool with the fact that you had been arrested for a sex crime even though you did not actually do anything. Most applications ask if you have ever been arrested not if you were convicted. You'd win you case in court but be in violation of BSA registration requirements.

Ranger being in denial of your sexuality is not a crime. I still wonder if wiggling your hand under a partition in Minneapolis is. What should be illegal is ENGAGING in sexual acts not wanting to engage in sexual acts. Just how would someone go about engaging in a lewd act without being in the same stall? I still think this whole thing stinks, justice wise.

LongHaul

LongHaul writes:

Merlyn, so it's against the law to move your hand under the partition between stalls in the mens room?

I was asking YOU how Craig could have done "exactly the same things in the airport lounge". He couldn't have. There aren't stalls in the airport lounge. Your hypothetical question doesn't even make sense, since he couldn't have done in the lounge what he did in the men's room.

Running your hand under a men's room stall isn't illegal per se, just as having 5 containers of gasoline in your car isn't illegal per se. But doing the former in conjunction with staring at the same man through the door crack for two minutes can be cited as part of someone's lewd behavior, just as charges of arson can cite all the gas cans in your car in the latter case.

The Smoking Gun has all the police reports:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2007/0828071craig1.html

I have a problem with this, too, because I don't see what Craig did as "lewd" behavior--maybe it's conspiracy to commit lewd behavior, but the other "conspirator" was an undercover police officer, so you wouldn't have the elements of that crime. It's pretty clear to me that Craig in fact wanted to engage in lewd behavior, and was inviting somebody else to engage in it. Imagine if he'd whispered to the officer, "Psst! Let's vandalize this bathroom!" What would his crime have been then? Certainly not vandalism. He pled guilty to "disorderly conduct," and maybe soliciting somebody else to join in the commission of a crime is disorderly conduct. But, the police officer tapped his foot, too--wasn't his behavior, then, just as lewd?

Had the good senator plead NOT guilty, then I could see the argument for entrapment or misunderstood intentions. But since he plead GUILTY to a lesser charge, it means he agrees with the lesser charge and accepts his responsibility in committing it. He had a month to weigh his options. He may have been guilty of the original charge too, but his acceptance of the lesser charge is enough to stop debate. He did it, he said he did in his plea. There's nothing to debate.

He made a career decision. He now needs to reap what he sowed.