18 year old Scout can now be .... what?

MT: I know the chart. Problem is it works best rotated 90 degress! You can't really think of it as "who takes orders from whom". You're partners tasked with different objectives. So all of the "SM do this" or "SM do that" amounts to so much hot air. If your 18 - 20 year olds want to be part of that, they are some sick puppies. The chart does convey (to a degree) who can remove whom from office. But, even that's a tedious process and again, not something I think the 18 - 20 y.o.'s want to be part of.

dg98: I encourage all of my venturers who are part of a troop to consider serving as ASM's when they turn 18. It's a little more financial hardship for them (troop dues tend to be more than crew dues), but I know the SM appreciates their company -- even if it boils down to a few meetings and a campout throughout the year!

Oh, and congratulate the boy for me. I'm sure he'll be proud to know you're bragging about him on the internet. ;)

Well, "just fell into it after our last SM resigned" Doesn't mean this SM is new, he has been here for 2 years. Everything was tried to "guide" him in the first year, then everyone just gave up on him.

The scouts in our committee want to be useful and attempt to fix the troop, which can't be done from the ASM position, since they aren't allowed to do anything.

But, yeah they with other adults promoted having the adult positions be voted on every June just before ending for summer, and got that approved and backed by the COR. And they were all set to vote an new SM in, last June, but it fell through. So they are working on someone new to vote in this coming June.

So in that case the committee vote is important to have in attempting to fix the troop. Because until they do get a new SM in that will give the power back to the boys, they know they are just making the troop tolerable, but not getting it back to it's former glory.

qwazse stated - "I encourage all of my venturers who are part of a troop to consider serving as ASM's when they turn 18. It's a little more financial hardship for them (troop dues tend to be more than crew dues)".

Your Troop charges it's adult leaders dues? Wow, I never heard of that before.

I can see charging everyone for camping costs. Everyone has to eat after all, and it is cheaper if the site cost is spread out over everyone. However, the adults do not receive awards, and most times they end up spending their own money on supplies, printing, and misc equipment and stuff for the boys in the Troop. Not to mention their time.

I can also see asking for voluntary donations (heck council does FOS). But to charge adults dues on top of the BSA registration, and their personal time and money spent, just seems downright greedy to me.

moosetracker,

I was aware that 18 - 20 year olds could hold those positions my response was aimed at dg98adams that seemed to be acting as though this Eagle Scout should sit on the side lines for 3 years until he is 21 before he should be allowed to interact with the troop anymore. I think that is simply balderdash!

Moose,

Please do me a favor,do not call the 18-20 y.o.s "Scouts" as they are now Adults. You can call them Scouters, you can call them ASMs, you can call them SAa, or the local term "GASers" wich stands for Gray Area Scouters (Adults in a troop, but youth in OA and Venturing.)

However if they are Sea Scouts, you gotta say the "Sea Scouts" ;)

Thanks in advance.

But to charge adults dues on top of the BSA registration, and their personal time and money spent, just seems downright greedy to me.

The dues for adults are a couple bucks over registration+unit insurance. My understanding is that it covers some of the SM's discretionary costs. (E.g. a kid can't afford a fee and we don't want to make it a line-item, or one ASM is truly cash strapped and we have to cover his fee for a year, or some bone-head up an earns himself an award we have to pay for, whatever.)

The treasurer's reports look rock-solid and well audited, so we don't worry about the extra fee. We all know there are plenty of troops that don't charge it, complainers are welcome to go there. Moreover if the college boys really need to save for dates at the coffee shop, they can always be primary with the crew at registration+insurance.

Fact is, I have a couple dual-registered under-21 ASM's who are primary with the troop, but I don't have any who are primary with the crew. So I guess we'll remain "downright greedy" as long as the only grievances are from guys in chat rooms. !)

Fees/dues for adults? Not my cup of tea. Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's expenses for the adults, but I think with the time and energy I put in, that should count for something, but when FOS rolls around, I pay up more than my fair share and if some boy is in need, his registration gets paid for, by me. If there's extra patches for adults, i.e. trained patches, awards, etc. I have been known to absorb that into my personal budget as well. I buy popcorn from the boys and when all is said and done and my personal finances are not reflective in any troop audit, I get a free ride. Yeah, right.

Stosh

Fees for adults? Standard fare in scouting. I've had to pay about half price to staff three WB courses. I've had to pay full price to be a leader at the 2005 and 2010 Jamborees. (For my son and I, the two trips cost a minimum of $10,000.) I've paid for everything I've staffed. We pay at the troop level too, but it is less than half what the boys pay.

If an 18 year old Venturer goes camping with the Troop what's his status? Is he an adult? A scout? Who can or cannot he tent with?

We have a scout who is about to turn 18 and would like to stay involved with the troop, but he is a very young 18, only a Junior in high school and we're not really sure he has what it takes to be an ASM. Our CO has a Venture Crew Chartererd, it's currently in the process of being reinvigorated by some of our committee members but currently it exists only on paper. If this young man registers as a Venturer where do we place him if he goes camping with us?

If I have the date right he is actually going to age out in the middle of a camping weekend.

When this gentleman is on a Venturing activity he is youth. When he is on a Troop activity he is an adult.

A boy can be registered as a venture crew member (youth) and an ASM in a troop (adult) at the same time. For his protection, he had better take YPT and thoroughly know it's implications. If something goes hay-wire and he gets accused of something by his buddies, his scouting career could be over before it starts.

If he is registered in a troop as ASM and goes on a venturing activity he cannot be counted as an adult for two-deep leadership either. The two programs are totally separate.

I don't know what to advise if a crew and troop were to hold a joint activity. I would think it could be a really sticky wicket. If it's an over-nighter, the tent-mate would determine the arrangement. I wouldn't buddy up with any scouts in a situation like that.

Stosh

T,

In my old council, we called 18-21 yos GASers, Gray Area Scouters, since they were adults in a troop, but youth for OA and Venturing, but at the time Exploring. And it got interesting.

For OA activities what we would do is this: under 18 stayed together. 18-20 stayed together, 21+ stayed together.

I know a guy that was one of the Boy Staff members this past summer at my summer cap. He had just earned his Eagle just before that. Then when i got to my WB course week slater he was there. The next week after that he left for Uni. As for as I know he's studying and working his Ticket.