• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a loquacious Bob White from course R12-25 in 1970.

Our course director from our council's last course was a Raven. That name was fairly common from large courses in Western Region in the past.

Northeast Region still occasionally has a professional Wood Badge. Personally, I believe that a pro should take Wood Badge earlier in their career and it should be in their home council. However, I have had pros tell me that they are uncomfortable doing WB with volunteers, particularly if their outdoor skills are less than great. I can understand how a Scout Executive or other very senior professional would feel "snapshotted" every moment of a course in their home council. Personally, I think that such a person should go to a local council or cluster course but not at their home council. And it may prove less of a problem with 21st Century WB which places less of an emphasis on expertise in outdoor skills.

Exploring Wood Badge used the names of famous explorers as their patrol names -- Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Kit Carson, Jim Bridger.

We had a Woodbadger from Norway as a staff member on our most recent course and he was a Woodpecker. So he proudly sang "I used to be a pecker." And occasionally you will hear other names from other countries.(This message has been edited by NeilLup)

We Kodiak Bears SR-389 were the best, brightest and probably had more fun than allowed at Woodbadge. We were in the last trditional course in our council. Our patrol became real close during those three outdoor weekends and patrol meetings in between. My tentmate and good friend Alan died last week due to cancer at age 50, but not before he received his beads. The two and one half hour wait at his visitation was a testiment to the kind of great guy he was. We miss him dearly. His wife and three sons, two of whom are still in scouts, need your prayers. Keep up the friendships with your patrol because you have something in common with them that no one else does. We all met a couple of weeks before he died and had a great time joking around. He knew we loved him and I wouldn't trade that relationship for anything. Scouting truly is a family.

• 3 weeks later...