Your favorite Dutch Oven recipe is..........

This weekend, we will be having our spring Pack Family Campout.

The ACM , another ADL,and I will be showing the boys some dutch oven recipes.

The ACM will be making a dutch oven taco/tortila chip cheese thingy.

Or maybe taco soup. Can't remember which.

I am going to make a dump cake, The other ADL will be making a peach cobbler.

We won't really be teaching the the specific recipes so much as showing them what they can do on a camp fire or using coals. The scouts won't be cooking, just observing. Kinda more of a static display if anything.

After that, we'll turn them loose with the sticks and marshmellows.

Anyways, I went out and bought a $8.00 book with 101 dutch oven recipes. WOW! After looking through it... I can't wait to start making some of these recipes. I am soooo gonna get fat this summer! :)

Anyways..what are some of your favorite recipes?

Not necessarily what is hard or easy, not necessarily wether they are easy to teach or not.

I'm talking about mouth watering good here!

How about some Cornbread Breakfast Dodgers? You make a dough with most of it being cornmeal, add flour, etc., take some smoked bacon, and a fresh egg. Make a doughball, as big or small as you want, scoop out some of the middle, lay in 2-3 slices of bacon, crack an egg on top, put on the top of dough and cook them like biscuits till they are nice and golden brown. The egg and bacon gets nicely cooked and you have a breakfast both the kids and adults love. MMMMM I can smell em cooking right now. Have a great trip Scoutfish.

That sounds great BadenP. It's one I never heard of.

Heres one, that I looked at the ingredients and was skeptical that the kids would even eat it. But, surprisingly it is their favorite, and they have gone to compititions and won with this recipe. It was made up by a scout's family just having a good time throwing whatever was in the kitchen into a pot, so it is not well known either (unless you bought the cookbook our troop created for a fundraiser).

Concoction

5 Large carrots, sliced

3 stalks celery sliced

1 large onion, diced

1 green pepger diced

1 read pepper diced

2 pkgs polish kielbasa or smoked sausage sliced

2 tsp Mrs. Dash Table blend

--------

4 potatoes, peeled and sliced

1 can diced tomatoes with roasted garlic

1 can baked beans (large can)

procedure

(for easy prep work) At Home:

cut and dice all the veggies (but potatoes). Place in a labeled Plastic bag, place in the cooler

cut the kielbasa or sausage. put in a labeled plastic bag with the Mrs. Dash table blend.

At Camp:

Preheat the 12" Dutch Oven (10 coals on bottom of DO only)

peel & cut potatoes, add to the DO.

Add the premixed veggies.

Saute until crisp tender. Remove from the dutch oven.

saute the kielbasa or sausage until brown.

Combine all the ingredients. cook in the DO until vegetables are tender at 350 degrees. (17 coals top, 8 bottom)..

servings: 6

Sorry, but our favorite recipe is Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake, and it's a troop secret. Other troops are still scrambling to come up with something to compete with us at troop cook-offs.

Stosh

Roasted Chicken

I like to take 2 whole chickens, place them in the oven, season with garlic and pepper (McCormick's Montreal Chicken is great) and then add your favorite veggies, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, onion, whatever, if the lid doesn't quite fit, that's OK, it will settle, place on a bed of 15-20 coals, 12 on top, after 40 minutes, start a new pile of coals, 20 minutes later, add fresh coals on top and under oven. after 2 hours total, use a meat thermometer to measure for 165 deg F.

Pizza!!

Just get the ready made pizza dough (keep it cold until ready to use!) Have the boys roll it out and go nuts with whatever ingredients they want! It's ok if the edges of the pizza tin rest against the wall of the oven (if your oven isn't big enough)--takes about 12 minutes per pie, and our boys LOVE it! Quick, and economical, there won't be a morsel left.

We do roast chicken pretty much as Gonzo does. One extra trick is to put a bed of cut up potatoes in the bottom of the oven to keep the chicken out of the grease. If you really want to be bad, the potatoes browned in the chicken fat are incredible.

I like simple stuff best. Like baked apples. Core the apples. If you can drill out the core and leave the bottom intact, even better. Fill the cores with brown sugar, a couple shakes of cinnamon and a glob of butter. Bake until soft. Good stuff.

If you get sloppy with the sugar, cinnamon and butter, that's okay. The stuff in the bottom of the pan is great on pancakes the next morning.