Which Insignia Do You Respect?

Let's say a leader earned all the awards that you most admire in another leader.

What would such a uniform look like? What piece (or pieces) of uniform insignia do you think says a lot about another leader's commitment to the program?

I'll start with the item that this was spun from: the leader would have the James E West knot along with two devices - the Founders Circle device and the 1910 Society device.

Ground rule for the thread - please don't argue against another poster's choice. Just tell us what you do admire.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aren't we leaders here "for the boys"? To me, over and above the awards given for donating money, I would respect the leaders with an Eagle Scout Knot, District Award of Merit, Silver Beaver, and perhaps the adult religious knot of their faith. These are the people working directly with the boys, donating their time rather than bucks.(This message has been edited by eagle90)

I probably could have chosen a different first example. I didn't mean to imply that money is more important than time. All the same, I do appreciate those people who donate money, as we clearly need both money and time in order to run a successful Scouting program.

Another award I respect is the Cubmaster's knot. Having watched some good Cubmasters run their packs, I think this is one of the hardest working jobs in Scouting, and a good Cubmaster can make it great for the boys.

Hadn't thought of the Heroism awards. I respect those in all walks of life. One pursues Eagle. One can pursue Vigil as well the adult religious awards. However, few if any, ever say, "I'm going to get the MoH or the BSA Heroism awards."

Most are somewhat proud of the award but usually don't seem to think that they did anything special. A boy in my son's troop received one of the BSA medals for saving a drowning kid. When asked about it, he said, "He was in trouble so I jumped in."

I think the badges I respect most are the ones confered upon others. Such as, the Vigil Honor, District Award of merit, Silver Beaver, the adult Religious award. I know there are others, ones that some one else applied for in the persons name.

Of course, the downside is when I hear of "deals", I will nominate you if you nominate me, it severly clouds my thoughts of those people for quite awhile

AOL badges on their den member's shirts and Eagle on their troop member's shirts. Their own shirt doesn't need anything but council strip, a couple of numbers and red epilets.

I'm not sure that I respect the insignia as much as some of the people who wear it.

A few years back a lot of people in our Council were a little put out when a local businessman was awarded the Silver Beaver.

I don't have my Silver Beaver Certificate handy, but I seem to remember it is awarded for services to youth.

This man donates a lot of lumber to our Council, organizes a golf outing which brings in over $100,000 a year and a clay pigeon shoot that brings in about another $20,000.

No he doesn't take Scouts anyplace and as far as I know doesn't play an active role in the Council.

In my book he has done a lot for the youth in our Council.

Of course he can afford it, but maybe he can't afford the time that the average everyday (if there is such a thing??) Scouter puts in?

I have friends who whole heartedly support Scouting but because of their jobs they are unable to give the time so they make up for it with donations of cash.

As for myself.

I'm very proud to be a Queen's Scout. Even though I'm not allowed to wear the badge.

I was honored to receive the District Award of Merit and the Silver Beaver.

I'm proud to wear the Distinguished Commissioner award/knot.

I think it's kinda neat that I'm the only person in our Council with the International Scouter's Award.

I'm very proud of the Saint George Award.

I'm happy to wear my Wood Badge beads.

While I was honored to receive Vigil Honor (After 25 years in the Lodge) I do think that OJ played a big part in me receiving it and that maybe there were a lot more people worthy than myself.

While I have at one time or another taken just about every training that the BSA has ever come up with. Over the years I for reasons I'm not sure of?? Just view these as not being so important to me any more.

As for the awards given for donating money to the Council.

Back in 2001 I took some of our Roman Catholic Scouts to Mass at the Jamboree.

It was raining really hard.

We found what we thought was a good spot, with a good view.

A group of adults came and stood right in front of us and then pulled out a big tarp, which they used to wrap the entire group in.

I was upset.

So I moved myself and the Scouts right in front of them (Talk about setting a terrible example!!).

Next thing was they invited us to come and share their tarp! I by now was thinking that God was teaching me a lesson.

The group were from California.

After Mass they gave all the Scouts and myself patches with some Space Ship on. I'm now feeling lower than the mud in my shoe.

Next they invite us into the Hospitality Tent that the BSA has set up.

Inside is hot drinks, danishes, dough-nuts, juice and cookies.

The Scouts think they have died and gone to Heaven!!

Soon some guy comes over and tells us that we shouldn't be there!!

The people from California get very upset and explain that we are their guests.

I removed my rain gear.

I'm wearing a uniform with every knot I ever was awarded and yellow loops (My area Committee Uniform -We had a meeting at the Jamboree)

I very nicely explained to the person who was trying to throw us out, that not only was he being very rude, but I did have an invitation to the tent because I was a Founders Circle Member.(I pulled a very wet paper out of my pocket)

He mumbled something about not knowing and went away with his tail firmly between his legs.

Un-Scoutlike as it might be I have to admit to enjoying every minute of it and I was happy to turn a blind eye when the Scouts filled their pockets with stuff to bring back to the other Scouts.

They well may be the most expensive pastries ever? But in many ways it was worth it!!

Eamonn.

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)