HIGH cost of official BSA uniform

It's kinda like a balloon; push it here and it pops out there. The money we pay for Scouting be it a shirt or a pinewood derby car or a training event all goes into the Scouting pot. If the shirt is too expensive, maybe we could cut the price to $10 and raise the annual registration to $20. What's the diff?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last spring, when my son was in kindergarten, knowing it was not a question of if he was joining cub scouts, but of what pack, I purchased the shirt, neckerchief, slide, belt, hat, handbook, and patches that would be the same no matter the pack while I had money from my tax refund, knowing come fall, I would not need to worry about it. He is still waiting for the pants, but hopefully they will come soon. All it took was a little planning.

Sephrina,

Your point is well taken. If one knows there's going to be some expense coming up, it would be rather "TRIFTY" and prudent to make plans and save up for it. You are obviously seting a pretty good example for your son, he will gain an extremely valuable lesson.

I have gone out on a limb and said the cost for E-Bay pants are $15. If I have to bid over to get the size, condition I need for a boy, it's just the cost of doing business. And I spend just as much now on scouting as I did when I had a boy in the pack/troop. I am aware that we don't live in a cheap world, but I make plans ahead of time to accommodate the unexpected.

I have also found that the more value one invests in something the more it is worth to them in the long run.

Keep it in mind that for the cost of an X-Box and a couple of games I can outfit more than half my troop! :^)

Stosh

Lisa,

Interesting post.

I've had more than one Professional tell me with a straight face that the profit from BSA Supply Corporation goes to fund BSA's side of Professional Service insurance and retirement.

FScouter,

There are other brands than "official Pinewood Derby." They're available at most any Hobby Lobby (chain hobby store, supermarket-sized, here in Flyover Country). There are other brands of outdoor gear. Save opportunities such as Trev laid on the table, or second hand, there are few alternates to Supply Corporation for uniforms.

All,

- We touch parents/Scouts for National dues and Boys Life.

- We touch parents for FOS.

- We touch parents/Scouts for campout fees/LT camp fees/PW fees, training fees, spaghetti dinners, and on and on...

- We touch parents/Scouts for their uniforms.

I've had parents tell me, nay demand of me "quit touching my wallet."

To me, the issue is the perceived value of a well-rounded whole young man. If Scouting were the only activity on Billy's plate, it's easy. (In fact, that's how EagleSon did it!). Too often though, Scouting is one of more than a few activities on Billy's plate: Football, soccer, (insert sport/sports here), band, WHATEVER IT TAKES to find where the young person has a skill and develop it.

To me, too many parents are looking for an edge for their children for the next stage of life (read vo-tech/college/university). They're not terribly concerned for what will make them better people participating in society when they are 25 or 30 or beyond.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

If the shirt is too expensive, maybe we could cut the price to $10 and raise the annual registration to $20. What's the diff?

Now that's a poor attitude! Why should people who are already giving their time & talent be forced to pay outlandish prices for uniforms? Yeah I know you can get used ones but not everyone has that option. The uniform is way over priced.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

jblake writes: "I have also found that the more value one invests in something the more it is worth to them in the long run"

And here is part of the problem, even among those who could theoretically afford the uniform with no problems. We here on this forum are pretty much invested (in terms of valuing the program, not in terms of money) in scouting, or we wouldn't be wasting our time here. But to the parent of the brand new cub scout, or the parent of the boy who crossed into boy scouts last week and isn't sure whether he'll stay, those folks have NOT yet become invested in scouting and the value it holds for their child. Consequently, they may have different views of the relative worth of the uniform.

You have to get that mental buy-in first, before you can expect people to accept the financial buy-in as being worthwhile (and even then, like Eamonn, sometimes I cringe at the price of outfitting a growing boy!)

Scaring off new families with uniform sticker shock means they aren't around long enough to develop a mental investment in scouting for their child. This is why our troop spends a good bit of time trying to help new parents understand where they do and don't need to spend big bucks, and also why we explain very clearly the reason behind our uniform preference (in a full uniform troop).

None of the 10 cub packs in our town are full uniform (most are shirts, hats, neckers, belts only - some are shirts only). All 4 troops in our town have gone full uniform. That's quite a transition for all those cubs to make. Don't tell me it can't be done but it needs to be done well with significant and kind assistance and explanation from leaders, or it alienates new folks and they quit! I've seen it!

I dunno. When I browse various council, even the National website, I see photos of scout execs wearing coat and tie so I guess the uniform must be too expensive or is that the new uniform?

Our Council has a staff photo page and only one scouter is wearing the uniform. But, then again, the uniform is optional.

I was in my council office this morning to drop off some paperwork. One guy was wearing the BSA tan/khaki uniform and another was wearing a Venturing uniform. But I think the term "business casual" is the best descriptor of how these folks typically dress, unless they are going to some kind of unit function or public event where they are there to represent scouting (in which case, ours are usually in uniform)

I rarely see anyone in the "official dress uniform." I usually see the DEs and SEs in regular business suits.

There really should be a dress scouting uniform like they used to have.

A green worsted jacket cut like a safari jacket with matching green trousers (made as a set so the colors match), a khaki shirt with a proper collar so a green tie can be worn.