HIGH cost of official BSA uniform

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please identify ANY Scouting Method that IS required?

The Methods are the unique program elements that make the scouting program work. If someone was only going to follow Methods that are "required" then they have a real problem since NONE of them are "required".

But if one was not going to use the elements of Scouting as a scout leader then the question needs to asked of that person "Why did you volunteer and say you would follow the program, if you do not intend to?"

I think most parents expect the leaderto be matue enough to do what is right as a scout leader whether it is "required" or not.

None of the methods are required, Bob. We all know that. But it seems we put a lot of effort into disputing what is & isn't proper uniforming that if the uniform is all that important then it should be required to be a member. Then it doesn't need to be a method!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

RememberSchiff wrote:

I have never seen a "fitting in" problem at a scout gathering.

I dont know about fitting in but Scouts do notice the lack of uniforms.

The first Troop my son was in went to the council Camporee a few years back.

Not a single Scout brought their uniform.

When I asked the SPL what he thought of the Camporee he said that it was embarrassing that they were the only troop there without a uniform.

The second Troop had an anything goes policy about uniforms.

One of the older Scouts told me that the Troop didnt go to Camporees any more.

One of the reasons was they were usually the only Troop there that didnt wear uniforms.

I havent pushed the idea of dress white uniforms to the Ship.

I started out requiring a Ship member to have the Blue Chambray shirt/denim pants

I suggested that we should get dress whites but the Ship members werent really interested.

That was until we went to a Sea Scout event where we were the only Ship in attendance without them.

They are now in the process of obtaining dress white uniforms.

Not because I want them but because they want them.

So if any method that is important and debated should be "required" then which of the Methods would that not apply to?

I the Patrol method not important enough? Has the Values not been debated? How about Outdoor Activities, is that not just as important as uniformimg?

Are you actually saying that by adding the word "REQUIRED" to the Methods that more leaders would suddenly know how to use them and would implement them in the program?

The BSA has already said 'The Methods are how the scouting program is done' you would think that would be enough?

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I think we have already established the "expensive" is a relative term and not interpreted the same by every person depending on their buying habits and finacial abilities.

And not all official uniforms cost the same. For instance the entire Sea Scout Dress Whites cost far less that the Boy Scout uniform shirt alone when purchased new.

And since no one ever said you had to buy a new uniform there AND since there are plenty of experienced official uniform pieces available for far less that what they cost new. So the argument that uniform is expensive or unaffordable is really very weak at best.

So the argument that uniform is expensive or unaffordable is really very weak at best.

Not a weak argument at all. To a single mom with three kids, the cost of any uniform could be expensive. And let's not forget, not everyone has a uniform bank available to get 2nd hand uniforms from.

It's a little ironic that a Sea Scout uniform cost less than s Boy Scout shirt. Kinda makes you wonder why? Considering the BSA probably sells a lot more BSA shirts than Sea Scout uniforms, it really should be cheaper to buy a shirt than an entire uniform. Seems like supply & demand doesn't rule the BSA pricing structure.

Ed Mori

evmori,

FYI, the BSA does not sell Sea Scout uniforms. Ship members purchase their uniforms through the US Navy Exchange or the Navy resale system. Unit leader sends request stating they are authorized by the BSA to purchase such clothing for Sea Scout purposes along with their SSN to the Uniform Support Center's procurment Dept.

GNX Guy is right, although many of the uniform patches and accessories are BSA supply. My Point being there are a varioety of Unofprms in the BSA, not all are the same price, none must be purchased new, there are many ways available to get experienced uniforms and "expensive" is a subjective measurement.

Thanks for correcting my error GNX Guy.

It still begs the question, why does a BSA shirt cost $40? Pants $40? Socks $5? Belt & Buckle $10? That's $100! Not everyone can afford that. And yeah I know we don't need to buy everything or anything new. But getting used uniforms isn't always an option.

If the total price was $50, more people would be able to afford the uniform. Gotta wonder why the uniform costs so much?

Ed Mori

Evmori,

But it IS ALWAYS an option. Have you heard of Ebay, check the Goodwill store, uniform bank at the Troop, distric or council level or try here,

http://euxnetwork.net/

or here

http://www.smscouting.org/site/uniform_exchange.htm

or here

http://mysite.verizon.net/hjlichtman/Resources/uniform_exchange.htm

Might be a good service or even an Eagle project for Scouts in your unit. Maybe funds from their scout account can offset the cost. I'm sure there are many other ways to get the boys into a uniform.