HIGH cost of official BSA uniform

Licensed official NFL jerseys start at $229. You mean to say they can't make thet jersey for at least 10 times less than that. And yet I would bet that more NFL jersey's are sold to fans than there are BSA uniform shirts sold to Scouting members every year. Who complains about the cost of the jersey? Nobody, because they want to wear them due to the pride they have for the team it represents. If the scouts in the unit you serve do not want to wear the uniform, I doubt that cost is the real problem. The same holds true for the leaders.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Licensed official NFL jerseys start at $229. You mean to say they can't make thet jersey for at least 10 times less than that.

I have a licensed official NFL jersey & the cost was no where near $229! The prices vary for these based on the player! You might pay $229 for a Bart Starr or Terry Bradshaw jersey, but I seriously doubt if that price is the norm.

And yet I would bet that more NFL jersey's are sold to fans than there are BSA uniform shirts sold to Scouting members every year.

Could be! What's the point?

Who complains about the cost of the jersey? Nobody, because they want to wear them due to the pride they have for the team it represents.

I'm sure people complain about the cost. And yep they are worn with pride! I know I where mine with pride, just like my BSA uniform.

If the scouts in the unit you serve do not want to wear the uniform, I doubt that cost is the real problem. The same holds true for the leaders.

Well, we can't force them to wear the uniform, now can we. All we can do is encourage them to. And considering the cost, I would say it is a contributing factor.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Sorry Ed, but I have to agree with Al on this one. Compared to the high prices being charged for everything else today (NFL Jersey's for example) the cost of a Scout uniform is not that out of line. When you consider the the options of E-bay, rummage sales, etc, that make the uniform even more affordable. If boys and or adult leaders recognized the value of wearing the uniform, they would find a way to acquire one.

"If boys and or adult leaders recognized the value of wearing the uniform, they would find a way to acquire one. "

So as scouters our work is cut out for us then. First we need to help scouts and their parents and other scouters with the above. Sure beats spending all this effort on complaining about the price of the uniform, or about how so few people within the organization seem willing to wear it! What exactly are you (all of you, not just previous poster) doing to help scouts, parents, and fellow scouters recognize this value then?

Hey, here's a novel idea!

How about having the scout EARN his uniform. You know, good ol' fashioned hard work. Why, he could mow lawns, shovel snow, get a paper route, rake leaves, baby sit, walk dogs, yada yada yada.

My son's troop allows popcorn money to be put into an account for each scout. My son sold $2100 worth of popcorn, give or take a bit. So, he went and bought scout gear! He also has summer camp paid for completely!

Gonzo

PS, I agree that new uniforms are over priced. The pants don't fit well, the shirt never stays tucked in well, etc. I hope someday that BSA will contract with some company like REI and select from what is currently manufactured (so as to not re-invent the wheel) and order mass quantities of a designated shirt and switch back pants, maybe a hat too, sock, belt, etc. It's stuff we already wear and like, put the BSA tag on it and let's go camping!