MacLaren Kilts ok?

"Dare I ask what ya'll wear under them?"

Well, generally, I find it impolite to ask anyone about the state of thier undergarments, or lack thereof.

Now, I know that it is usually the first question many folks ask me when I don my kilt in public, and it is usually females (of varying ages) who ask.

The worst incident was at a wedding for a friend, and his grandmother actually lifted the front of my kilt to see. Her daughter had lifted the kilt of one of my groomsmen at my wedding a few months earlier.

Depending on the situation, the people involved, and the location, my answer varies. I usually ask the curious party what they are wearing under their clothing, which generally embarrasses them more than them asking me. Around close friends, my answer tends to be a bit more colorful.

I will say, if you must know, I prefer to be tradtitional.

Yes, it does seem you can become an honorary member of Clan McLaren, but that site (at least what I read) makes no mention if you are 'entitled' to wear the Tartan thereafter.

But that the family reaches out to Woodbadgers is encouraging, and most likely profitable for their Clan society.

And, hey, the 'uniform is the uniform' arguement is a big one.

But nothign says you can't wear a kilt as part of a 'Class B' (although the Boy Scouts of America does not recognize any differing class of uniform), with a troop T-Shirt.

Of course, I want to try to trade with someone from the U.K. or Ireland for a Scout kilt from their society.

No, kilts are not "official uniform", but I agree with Old Grey Eagle, they look alot better than the rag-tag collection of pants that kids today choose to wear with their uniform shirts. I say go for it.

Aye, but bein' an honorary member o' th' Clan dunne gie ye thr right to be wearin' MacClaren plaid. My point was why the swatch of MacClaren plaid is found on the Wood Badge neckerchief. The kilt - plaid or plain - is not part of the BSA uniform (Pity, though! It is the most manly of garments.).

Thanks for your accent GB. Now, I have been in contact with Clan MacLaren North America and they emphatically endorse a Wood Badger's RIGHT to don the MacLaren tartan kilt as a non-voting MEMBER of Clan MacLaren.

Both the VP (Barbara Gard) and the Mambership Secretary (Steven Lowry) of Clan MacLaren approve of it. That being confirmed. Is the MacLaren kilt a part of the "Official" BSA Uniform...NO...It is acceptable for a WoodBadger to wear the MacLaren tartan kilt...YES.

(There are even times when I don my family's Ancient Scott Hunting kilt when I wear the BSA Class "A" shirt)

Hope that this approval from Clan MacLaren North America helps clear up things.

Dave Scott

Hi, John-in-KC.

If it ain't in the uniform part of the catalogue, it ain't official. The MacClaren tartan neckerchiefs are part of a restricted inventory of BSA National Supply Division stuff. You won't find the beads, neckerchief, or woggle in the catalogue, either; nevertheless, all Wood Badge uniform items are official uniform. Same thing for Order of the Arrow sashes. It comes down to who has the authority to order the items. I'll tell you this: If the kilt becomes part of the BDS boy scout uniform, I'll have mine before you have yours, and have worn it to a troop meeing, too ;-). I do remember seeing a Venture crew that had adopted the MacClaren plaid kilt as their official crew uniform. Ventures can design their own uniform and program. Their program? Blacksmithing. Forge, anvil, bucket, hammer and tongs.

Oh. . . I used to be a Beaver . . . .

A Blacksmithing Venture Crew in kilts? I guess after a day at the forge and anvil there would be nothing more refreshing than a quick bellows blow up the legs.

Back when I was a Radiology Dept manager we got in some new lead protective garments, to spare weight they consisted of lead vests and then overlapping skirts attached with velcro. SOme of the male radiographers declined to wear them, I told them that on the ladies they were skirts, but on laddies they were kilts. Most wore them and made sure evryone knew they were a kilt

• 6 years later...

One of the comments commented about "Scout" tartans other than the MacLaren. According to the Scottish Register of Tartans (http://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/), there are at least three: one for Cub Scouts of America, and two for "Scottish Scouts" (one from 1922, resembling a grey version of Black Watch; and one more recent that is similar to the MacLaren).

The subject has been slightly touched upon by various postings here, but there is another issue to consider.

European tradition implies that certain clothing items are reserved for family members only. Others ID certain portions of a country where the person resides. The Irish cable knit sweaters were certain patterns that were respected from one family to the other. Basically the Irish were seafaring and when a ship went down and a body washed up on shore, the family would be able to retrieve their family member based on the sweater the seaman wore. The Scots had tartan patterns they used to identify family members and it is respected that non-family members not wear them. In the use of military uniforms, the tartan kilt of everyone was different so that after a battle, the families could sort out the dead and take them home. I am of Scottish decent and I have certified approval to wear my family tartan in any form I wish, i.e. kilt, tie, blazer, shirt, etc. In America that tradition is not respected and thus one has bagpipe groups all wearing the same kilts, (usually Stewart, because it's "pretty"!) etc. I don't know if it falls into the realm of respectful tradition to wear the family tartan if one is not of that family, but in America most don't honor that tradition anyway. Obviously if one is an honorary non-family person allowed to wear identification tartan of another family, that is something that has already been considered and approved previously. I don't know if that approval was meant only for the small ID patch of the Wood Badge necker or whether it encompassed the wearing of a full kilt of the family. If one is concerned about the diversity sensitivity towards others, that might be something to consider before purchasing kilts.

Stosh