2007 Requirements: Camping MB Requirement Changes

I grabbed this off US Scouts. Thanks to whoever there scrubs BSA Requirements.

Of course, you can (and should) also look at the totality of BSA Requirements for changes to the Advancement program:

For the camping MB:

Changes were made to requirements 3 and 9a.

The changes to the requirements read as follows:

3. Make a written plan for an overnight trek and show how to get to your camping spot using a topographical map and compass OR a topographical map and a GPS receiver.

9a. Camp a total of at least 20 days and 20 nights. Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. The 20 days and 20 nights must be at a designated Scouting activity or event. You may use a week of long-term camp toward this requirement. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent.

~~~~~

The last at least answers some of the questions of 20 days and nights. Note the explicity "Scouting activity" element.

url is: http://usscouts.org/usscouts/mb/mb001.html

YIS John

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I read the new wording, summer camp only applies if scouts camp in tents. Nice. I am glad to see this changed.

As for "scouting activity", anyone know what caused them to tighten this part? A good campout is a good campout regardless of who leads or approves it. I am not clear as to why this is worded in this manner.

Just a stab in the dark, but the wording is to keep a scout from obtaining all 20 nights of camping on family trips, away from his Troop, just a thought on my part. Then again, I could be wrong...

I like the use of the topographical map, maybe all the ranting of getting scouting back to its roots of outdoor adventure has made an inroad?

The reason I like the "Scouting Activity" part is that it encourages participation at the troop/patrol level. My goodness, an active scout should camp close to 20 days/nights a year! Why is it so hard to require them to do that as a scouting activity? It saves the counselor from having to try and figure out what camping was like with Uncle Billy or the boy's grandpa and whether he really completed the requirement.

I agree with the sentiments about at least 20 nights per year being available in a good program. And I understand that it is good to have patrol or troop events. What I don't understand is why a good, real campout outside the BSA umbrella isn't considered a camping experience with regard to the MB. I can imagine all sorts of rationales for this change but I would like to know the TRUE reason for the change. Anyone know? Just curious.

Why does it have to be a tent? Why not a lean-to or dining fly shelter? Now that's LNT! Scrap the GPS. I don't know how to use one and probably never will since I have made it this far in life without one. And yah, Scout related campouts only- I'll go for that.

I like the changes too.

If I were the MBC, I would allow the use of the rain fly as it says "under the sky" and the fly gives a little shelter, less than a tent. I would not allow an adirondack type shelter. A lean-to made for Wilderness Survival MB should count.

Considering what I've seen these days go for dining awnings (the almost 1 car garage canvas and metal things), I can live with the requirement as it is. I think I can counsel to the intent without adding or deleting :)

Sleeping under the stars is just that. Nothing between your nose and the sky (personally one of my favorite summer campouts). . Let the dew/frost settle where it mayA fly, lean to, umbrella, tarp or canopy is a tent by any other name.

Yes, camping should be done with the troop and if your program doesn't have at least 20 nights camping a year on the calendar, you really need to do some better planning.

The question of whether a rain fly, survival shelter, 1-car canvas garage, or Adirondack shelter is a tent within the meaning of the MB requirement is easily answered. The requirement is or in a tent you have pitched. Did the boy set it up himself? As long as he set it up himself (no help), Id count it.

FScouter,

So on any given Troop outing only one person per tent has the opportunity to get credit for the overnight? We don't use one man tents in our troop, some hold 5 or 6. I run into this question with 2nd class also does "you pitched" automatically mean with no help.

Req #7 Prepare for an overnight campout with your patrol by doing the following; Does this mean that the outing must be a patrol only outing or would you accept a Troop outing as long as the individual patrols are responsible for their own patrol gear and food and such? Req # 7b. Pack your own gear and your share of the patrol equiptment and food for proper carrying. Show that your pack is right for quickly getting what is needed first, and that it has been assembled properly for comfort,weight,balance,size,and neatness. Does this mean that this must be a backpacking campout? Can a cooler be the proper means of carrying the food? Do you have to physically put your share of food into the cooler to satisfy the requirement? I read the difference between "you helped pitch" and "you pitched" as meaning whether you were being instructed on how to pitch not whether you had the help of your tent mate.

LongHaul

Well it looks like BSA was only partially successful in clarifying the requirements. Pitch a tent or help pitch? For Tenderfoot its help pitch. Second Class its pitch. For the Camping MB its pitch. Is help pitch OK? Luckily for me I'm not a MB counselor so I don't have to answer!

As to the definition of "tent", I'd say if the boy, by himself, pitched the rain fly, pitched the 1-car canvas garage, or built the survival shelter, Id say he met the objective. I rather doubt a boy would build an Adirondack shelter, so that shouldnt be an issue.